Under the Radar

152 posts
JimmytheJim

Re: Under the Radar

by JimmytheJim » 26 Mar 2012 15:22

The Prisoner We can officially retire this thread as apparently BRIGHTON are the new "under the radar" team:

I am glad that the BBC sports reporter and most commentators here are forgetting the dark horse this year,namely Brighton.
Not a "fashionable"team,so most just forget about them but under Gus they are winning and playing exciting football.I agree that if they were to get promoted they would need to seriously strengthen but there again,so would the other teams.
So just keep on about your Southampton's,Reading's West Hams',that will be to Brighton's advantage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2012/03/roberts_revels_in_readings_ris.html#305070

(granted - the blog is JR bigging us up)

3 wins in the last 9 certainly does warrant 'under the radar' status.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Mar 2012 17:05

11 points to make up in 7 games? No chance. If they won all 7 that's 21 points which means we'd have to drop points in at least 4 of our games. Not to mention West Ham or the other play off contenders doing similar. And lets face it, they aren't going to win all 7.

They'll give anyone a good game in the play offs assuming they make it to them, but I think they may be a bit vulnerable to win them.

The reason no one's talking about Brighton, is because they're talking about the battle for second at the moment. When they're talking about Play Off winners, Brighton should deservedly get a mention.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 26 Mar 2012 20:57

We may have the "bottle" to win the POs if we somehow end up third

and in truth WHU OUGHT TO have the class and power to win the POs if we get auto

but there's a strong chance this year that the third-place side will blow it.

All logic says the top three now are the best three, but when it comes down to a two-legged semi and a one-of final it's too-close-to-call

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 27 Mar 2012 10:37

Snowball We may have the "bottle" to win the POs if we somehow end up third

and in truth WHU OUGHT TO have the class and power to win the POs if we get auto

but there's a strong chance this year that the third-place side will blow it.

All logic says the top three now are the best three, but when it comes down to a two-legged semi and a one-of final it's too-close-to-call

At the risk of getting a load of abuse I think I'd rather come 7th than be in the play offs. I don't think I can take another glorious failure.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Mar 2012 10:53

West Ham ought to have the class to finish 1st. They haven't. They don't look like they've got the bottle to finish 2nd and if they end up 3rd, 4th or even 5th then the chances of them winning the play offs are pretty slim IMO. They're in poor form and their morale will be shot if they end up in the play offs having lost out (presumably to us) because of poor form when it was in their hands.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Mar 2012 11:16

Ian Royal West Ham ought to have the class to finish 1st. They haven't. They don't look like they've got the bottle to finish 2nd and if they end up 3rd, 4th or even 5th then the chances of them winning the play offs are pretty slim IMO. They're in poor form and their morale will be shot if they end up in the play offs having lost out (presumably to us) because of poor form when it was in their hands.

Basically I agree, but the table suggests that the top three are much better sides than the chasing pack
and MAYBE class will out.

I think West Ham are a better side (well have better players) than their position

but they are

(a) Choking
(b) Being mismanaged, lots of chopping and changing
(c) Have the fans on their back
(d) Perhaps too many mercenaries

But on their day (please, not against us) they are capable of slaughtering most teams
and they are VERY hard to beat

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Mar 2012 16:51

It historically fairly sound that statistically the team that had been challenging for the top two most season and ended in the play offs disappointed fails in them.

10/11 - Cardiff
08/09 - Reading
05/06 - Leeds
04/05 - Ipswich

09/10 - Forest finished third, although it's not always third place. I think it was a bit of a two horse race that year so doesn't really count, but Blackpool went up after a charge, so doesn't support the third in a three horse race.
03/04 - looks like Sunderland were another candidate, and it was Palace who went up after a charge so certainly doesn't support the third of a three horse race getting promoted.

That's 6 of the last 8 seasons and all of the ones in that time where we've been in teh Chumpionship. So basically we'd better make automatic, because one of us and West Ham are in for a big disappointment.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Mar 2012 17:10

So in a play-off between four teams, one of those teams wins 25% of the time :?:

Stone the crows.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 27 Mar 2012 17:19

Maguire So in a play-off between four teams, one of those teams wins 25% of the time :?:

Stone the crows.

*Pedant alert ON*

Actually one of those teams wins 100% of the time.

*Pedant alert OFF*

:P

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Mar 2012 17:35

Maguire So in a play-off between four teams, one of those teams wins 25% of the time :?:

Stone the crows.

If that's directed at me it isn't what I said at all. Because I just showed that in 4 of the last 4 seasons we've been in the Championship where there's been a three horse race for 1st and 2nd, the third horse has failed to go up in the Play Offs. So that's a 0% success rate for them.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Mar 2012 17:36

You said 6 of the last 8 seasons.

I was just messing with you anyway m8, it was a little joke if you will

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Mar 2012 21:46

Maguire You said 6 of the last 8 seasons.

I was just messing with you anyway m8, it was a little joke if you will

Fair enough... I said 6 of 8 because I couldn't be arsed to check the ones that weren't on HNA.

*no lazio :?

152 posts