Trophy

172 posts
mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Trophy

by mr_number » 24 Apr 2012 15:49

Response to a few questions from the Football League:

Whilst we sympathise with your frustrations, this policy was introduced by The Football League in 2008 following feedback from clubs and supporters regarding presentations to West Bromwich Albion and Swansea City that had taken place at away grounds.

In both cases the away clubs were presented with their trophies to a backdrop of an emptying stadium and a very limited number of visiting supporters. As well as disrupting the home supporters end of season send-off to their respective team, it also caused significant safety concerns for both home clubs involved and their local authorities.

Therefore, in all aspects this was not ideal for the winning club, their supporters or indeed The Football League and its sponsor. This led to The Football League introducing a policy of not presenting trophies at away grounds.

This season, The League consulted with Reading to ascertain how the club wished to carry out the trophy presentation should they win the Championship title after their final home match. Reading have chosen to conduct an open-top bus journey culminating in the trophy being presented at the Madejski Stadium, allowing as many home supporters as possible to be involved in the celebrations.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Regards,

Customer Services Officer
The Football League Limited

Which sounds to me like the club have had at least a say in this. Having it presented at Brum and then again on Sunday would have been no problem, so I don't know why the club has supported this.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 24 Apr 2012 15:59

well yes, what could have been done differently would be that they could present the trophy at the ground and then go on the bus tour. Or present the trophy at some other location in Reading. But that's all really.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 24 Apr 2012 16:01

Yeah, I agree, but I'm not going to be able to go back to Reading on Sunday, so won't see the trophy at all, and I guess there are other fans who don't live in Reading in the same boat.
Also, would have just made Saturday a real send off for the team (although obviously Sunday will be great as well).

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 24 Apr 2012 16:02

Away end at Brum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Madjeski on Sunday

Trophy or no trophy

robb the royal

by robb the royal » 24 Apr 2012 16:04

mr_number Response to a few questions from the Football League:

Whilst we sympathise with your frustrations, this policy was introduced by The Football League in 2008 following feedback from clubs and supporters regarding presentations to West Bromwich Albion and Swansea City that had taken place at away grounds.

In both cases the away clubs were presented with their trophies to a backdrop of an emptying stadium and a very limited number of visiting supporters. As well as disrupting the home supporters end of season send-off to their respective team, it also caused significant safety concerns for both home clubs involved and their local authorities.

Therefore, in all aspects this was not ideal for the winning club, their supporters or indeed The Football League and its sponsor. This led to The Football League introducing a policy of not presenting trophies at away grounds.

This season, The League consulted with Reading to ascertain how the club wished to carry out the trophy presentation should they win the Championship title after their final home match. Reading have chosen to conduct an open-top bus journey culminating in the trophy being presented at the Madejski Stadium, allowing as many home supporters as possible to be involved in the celebrations.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.

Regards,

Customer Services Officer
The Football League Limited

Which sounds to me like the club have had at least a say in this. Having it presented at Brum and then again on Sunday would have been no problem, so I don't know why the club has supported this.

That isn't what is says at all, the football league policy is not to present the trophy away from home, so they asked Reading when would they like the trophy presented to them as that was the case, we chose the bus tour
Still think it is unfair on many fans, we paid good money to go the Birmingham game, I'm at university, so can't come back for the Sunday, but got a ticket from brum, so I will have to miss it, as will many reading fans who go to the brum game i would imagine (most will be too hungover)...stupid rule

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 24 Apr 2012 17:48

robb the royal Still think it is unfair on many fans, we paid good money to go the Birmingham game, I'm at university, so can't come back for the Sunday, but got a ticket from brum, so I will have to miss it, as will many reading fans who go to the brum game i would imagine (most will be too hungover)...stupid rule
The majority of fans can be there at the Mad Stad, the majority will not be at Birmingham.

Personally I blame the FA for not rescheduling the Southampton and Reading games for the same time, I understand moving the Saints game may have proved a problem as it as on Sky, but moving our game to 5.15pm would have worked for me.

Likewise the West Ham game, Southampton could have got promotion without playing - that isn't right.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 24 Apr 2012 17:52

Forbury Lion
robb the royal Still think it is unfair on many fans, we paid good money to go the Birmingham game, I'm at university, so can't come back for the Sunday, but got a ticket from brum, so I will have to miss it, as will many reading fans who go to the brum game i would imagine (most will be too hungover)...stupid rule
The majority of fans can be there at the Mad Stad, the majority will not be at Birmingham.

Personally I blame the FA for not rescheduling the Southampton and Reading games for the same time, I understand moving the Saints game may have proved a problem as it as on Sky, but moving our game to 5.15pm would have worked for me.

Likewise the West Ham game, Southampton could have got promotion without playing - that isn't right.

Yeah, but having the trophy in Brum doesn't mean you can't have it at the parade the next day. In fact, it would probably mean that it's on the bus as well, so more people see it.

William Oddie

by William Oddie » 24 Apr 2012 18:53

I think anyone trying to blame the club on this is really clutching at straws. Its quite simply there, that the FL do not allow it!!!!

FFS we have just won the league! as per the usual crap about the royalty points ticketing policy etc, you must see its impossible to please and keep every single supporter happy. The only possible solution to this would of been to have the championship sewn up before the palace game. STOP WHINGING WE'VE JUST WON THE BLOODY LEAGUE!

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 24 Apr 2012 22:55

No problem with people paying £1 to charity to see the trophy lifted Sunday but then they charge £5 to park at the stadium. Secret money making if you ask me!

muzza

by muzza » 24 Apr 2012 23:27

Seal Away end at Brum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Madjeski on Sunday

Trophy or no trophy

Very true! I for one cannot make it on Sunday so a bit mift that i wont see the team lift the trophy but cannot wait for Saturday!

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 24 Apr 2012 23:40

I cannot believe this thread has run to 8 pages. Some people like to complain just for the sake of it

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 25 Apr 2012 01:17

^^^

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 Apr 2012 12:32

CLub have just confirmed the trophy will be on the bus for the parade

Bumblebee

by Bumblebee » 26 Apr 2012 12:36

JC I cannot believe this thread has run to 8 pages. Some people like to complain just for the sake of it

Moaner

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Apr 2012 12:45

Seal Away end at Brum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Madjeski on Sunday

Trophy or no trophy

Yep, totally agree with that.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 26 Apr 2012 13:12

Silver Fox CLub have just confirmed the trophy will be on the bus for the parade

How long has it taken for them to answer this?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 26 Apr 2012 13:17

All season TBF.

Spirit of Elm Park

by Spirit of Elm Park » 26 Apr 2012 13:18

mr_number I've thought about this, and I think it's a little bit pathetic. Do they really think Birmingham fans are going to kick off? Come on Football League, just do something sensible.

Have you ever been to St. Andrews on the final day? Trust me, they do.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 26 Apr 2012 13:25

TBM
Franchise FC
TBM lol @ having an open top bus parade but no trophy to show........

LOL @ thinking the trophy is the most important thing.

I know but surely it would have been better to lift the trophy at the stadium THEN go on the bus parade?!

Now the trophy WILL be on the bus... only to have it re-presented in the ground later :|

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 39,00.html

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 Apr 2012 13:26

LoyalRoyalFan
Silver Fox CLub have just confirmed the trophy will be on the bus for the parade

How long has it taken for them to answer this?

I'm guesing they've been waiting since Monday for the FL to confirm

172 posts