SJM - Minutes silence vs Liverpool

335 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: SJM - Minutes silence vs Liverpool

by sandman » 10 Apr 2013 13:34

Anfield Kopite F.A.O. lifetime fan, I too support Liverpool. I would suggest most on here are fair minded and respectful people. However, I must warn you that there are a handful of utter bellends on here. The one who first replied to your post that showed the letter (No Fixed Abode who is also referred to as Kes) has posted many times on this site that our supporters were behaving badly at Hillsborough, even sadly since the findings of the H.I.P. were made public.

Don't forget the following supposed Liverpool fan who wrote today of his admiration for Thatcher:

Sanguine It takes a certain something to post in all seriousness that Thatcher did little good for this country. I've pretty much stayed out of this thread, but it's gone the way I expected.

If we had a few politicians of her calibre, decisiveness and strength today, we'd be infinitely better off, that's for sure.

Readars

by Readars » 10 Apr 2013 13:35

I for one will be singing ‘Ding Dong the Witch is Dead’ from the Wizard of Oz

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Apr 2013 13:38

Apologies if already quoted...

Reading chairman John Madejski tells the conference he would not have sacked Brian McDermott. Madejski on Thatcher: "I don't think (minute's silence) will happen. In any other country they would've had two weeks of mourning."

Anfield Kopite

by Anfield Kopite » 10 Apr 2013 13:41

sandman
Anfield Kopite F.A.O. lifetime fan, I too support Liverpool. I would suggest most on here are fair minded and respectful people. However, I must warn you that there are a handful of utter bellends on here. The one who first replied to your post that showed the letter (No Fixed Abode who is also referred to as Kes) has posted many times on this site that our supporters were behaving badly at Hillsborough, even sadly since the findings of the H.I.P. were made public.

Don't forget the following supposed Liverpool fan who wrote today of his admiration for Thatcher:

Sanguine It takes a certain something to post in all seriousness that Thatcher did little good for this country. I've pretty much stayed out of this thread, but it's gone the way I expected.

If we had a few politicians of her calibre, decisiveness and strength today, we'd be infinitely better off, that's for sure.

I think Sandman, that Sanguine formerly cmonurzzz, states that he is a Reading fan first and LFC is his second team. Never understood this 'second team' nonsense myself.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Apr 2013 13:47

Even so pretty insulting to have someone claim they are sympathetic to Liverpool and then stick up for Thatcher.

Never understood the two teams thing either. Maybe understandable if one was a foreign club but two in the same country is a bit weird especially when they meet as will happen on Saturday.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Apr 2013 13:55

2nd team thing is simple, you can support them as much as your 1st team except when your 1st team plays your 2nd. It only really is a problem if your 1st and 2nd teams are a similar level and often play each other or are involved in the same level of league battles.

For fans of sides like Reading it's never really been an issue as, particularly with Liverpool, the two clubs concerned only have a chance of meeting in one off cup competitions. Then we made the PL and things changed....

Still quite possible to support 2 clubs though.......

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 10 Apr 2013 14:02

No, you see you don't read my posts properly. All I said was - to say no Liverpool fans played up or tried to jib in that day is laughable. It was common place at most games, even with other fans and especially Liverpool, who still do it to this day. Did they play a major part in the disaster? Probably not. Did they help the situation? No.

Good to see Simon Weston also supporting this view yesterday.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 10 Apr 2013 14:05

bigmike That woman hated football

She tried to kill it. Why should there be respect shown by fans of a sport that she showed total distain for?

Football is a sport not a political play thing .

She was fundamental in getting English teams banned from European competition, that is true. Why? Because fans couldn't behave properly. With the culmination of Heysel, then Hillsborough, something drastic had to be done. You've got MT partially to thank for nicer, safer, all seater stadia we have today.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 10 Apr 2013 14:22

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 10 Apr 2013 14:26

It takes all sorts

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Apr 2013 14:30

Much as I am tempted, I will refrain from speaking ill of the dead. However, I vehemently disagree with Madejski's idea and I'm not even a lefty!

There are very, very, few politicians that I would want to see honoured by a minute's silence.

Understandable suggestion, however, given 'Sir' John's political persuasions.

And don't even get me started on the 'Honours System'!

As for the mess that Madejski has created with his utterances, how apt that there is now such a clear parallel.

As she neared the end of her time in power, it apparently became clear to even some of her most ardent supporters that it was time to get rid of Maggie before she did real damage to their cause - we now have very similar signs coming from the Mad Stad.

Perhaps he'd care to come onto the pitch and give the Liverpool fans one of his double handed cheery waves on the way out! Should make for some good TV coverage!
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 10 Apr 2013 14:37, edited 2 times in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Apr 2013 14:33

Ideal
BenReadingFC SJM has opened a huge shitty can of worms with this shit.
RFC should ditch their plans of a silence for either The 96

Honestly I am so tired of hearing the constant harping on about these damn 96, I would applaud if JM were to set fire to one of these "Justice 96" shirts and piss all over it, these people have long since worn out any patience people may have had to listen to their cause, and besides their own fans squished those people to death because they were too eager to get in, so they have to accept some of the blame themselves.

Your rantings over AZ and Adkins no longer look quite so insane!

Hopefully this is one that has sailed straight over my head. Otherwise, how the hell would you feel if your kid or loved one set off to a football match this weekend and ended up getting killed there?

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 10 Apr 2013 14:39

RoyalBlue
Ideal

Honestly I am so tired of hearing the constant harping on about these damn 96, I would applaud if JM were to set fire to one of these "Justice 96" shirts and piss all over it, these people have long since worn out any patience people may have had to listen to their cause, and besides their own fans squished those people to death because they were too eager to get in, so they have to accept some of the blame themselves.

Hopefully this is one that has sailed straight over my head. Otherwise, how the hell would you feel if your kid or loved one set off to a football match this weekend and ended up getting killed there?

Thanks to the Thatcher-era reforms, ironically, its far, far, far less likely than it was in the Heysel and Hillsborough era.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 10 Apr 2013 14:42

Jay o/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Cmzvt549Y :lol:

Deary me.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 10 Apr 2013 14:42

BBC quotes SJM as saying they planned a minutes silence anyway for the Hillsborough 96 as the game falls close to the anniversary.

Now, If the club make it a joint minutes silence for Hillsborough and Thatcher that would be a massive conflict and I will probably join in with the Liverpool fans singing YNWA over the top of it.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 10 Apr 2013 14:45

RoyalBlue
Ideal

why do you think i have this idiot blocked?..sadly though I can see his insane rantings when he is quoted.

Anfield Kopite

by Anfield Kopite » 10 Apr 2013 14:47

No Fixed Abode

No, you see you don't read my posts properly. All I said was - to say no Liverpool fans played up or tried to jib in that day is laughable. It was common place at most games, even with other fans and especially Liverpool, who still do it to this day. Did they play a major part in the disaster? Probably not. Did they help the situation? No.

Good to see Simon Weston also supporting this view yesterday.

Dunno about Simon Weston but I have had the displeasure of reading your posts. One I remember was you finishing with the line The Police and Liverpool fans should take collective responsibility. I agree that you have not gone as far as TMD but you have constantly said Liverpool fans should share the responsibility even after a panel spent a very long time studying the 400,000 plus documents available to them and concluding that Liverpool fans did not misbehave in anyway. Do you believe you have more knowledge than an Independent Panel that has studied over 400,000 documents on this matter ?

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 10 Apr 2013 14:49

No Fixed Abode
Jay o/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Cmzvt549Y :lol:

Deary me.

You're a WUM if you can't understand their hate for her. Fcuk off on to a Chelsea board!

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 10 Apr 2013 14:49

Royal Biscuitman BBC quotes SJM as saying they planned a minutes silence anyway for the Hillsborough 96 as the game falls close to the anniversary.

Now, If the club make it a joint minutes silence for Hillsborough and Thatcher that would be a massive conflict and I will probably join in with the Liverpool fans singing YNWA over the top of it.

I think many of us will.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 10 Apr 2013 14:55

Appropriate minutes silences I can remember having at Reading games;

11/11 - annual remembrance day silence
9th September 2011 - Only because the game was held hours after the terrorist attack
Maurice Evans passing
Upton Nerfet rail disaster - but only due to the fact a Reading fan who sat near me lost his life as he travelled home from the game, his was always there with his very large family who still attend every game (and stay until the end!)
Hillsborough anniversary

Other than those, there have been minutes silences I have respected which probably didn't fit - the Soahm murders, George Best (although that was a minutes applause), Happy to respect a minutes silence for something that means something to opposition fans though - If we had been playing Man Utd then George Best would have been okay I guess.

335 posts