BFTG QPR

217 posts
P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG QPR

by P!ssed Off » 11 Nov 2013 01:32

Ian Royal
paddy20 Although QPR are decent we should win our games at home if we are serious contenders. Afraid we are two or three players away from that. Cant understand why he persists with Kanu,and we don't have a tough tackler in midfield or a quick central defender

We're on form for a 73 point season which is a good chance of play offs. Win the next game (which we have a fair chance of) and we're on a 77 point season, which absolutely is play offs.

We've got a mound of injuries and we've not quite clicked. We've still got the January transfer window. We're absolutely contenders. Outside contenders for autos at best absolutely, but we're serious contenders for the play offs.

Not sure "form" can really be stretched to 15 games tbh.
Last 6 games we've picked up 6 points. Based on the last 6 matches we're on course for 55 points.
Yes 2 of those games were against very good teams, but four of the matches were against shit teams.

Who's to say this is merely a blip in form?

How confident are we in the defence improving?
Kelly will never be a competent left back, will Bridge manage to avoid niggle injuries throughout the season? Are Pearce and Morrison going to form a solid partnership and stop gifting goals, as we've seen our sub CB is useless almost giving 3 goals away single handedly in just one match.

How confident are we in the midfield improving?
Drenthe is a fat oxf*rd who will probably never reach an acceptable level of fitness. Williams has been out for ages and was hardly in inspired form before. Robson-Kanu has been quite poor all season. Obita is yet to progress from youth prospect to 1st team player despite an extended run in the team. Baird is hardly the epitome of energy. The midfield player who represented energy is out for the rest of the season in fact.

Striking and goalkeeping options are positives. We've got 3 good strikers at the club now, when at the start of the season it seemed the case that we had only one. We've got 2 good options for keeper. Guthrie and Gunter have also been consistently good imo.

But I've seen virtually nothing to suggest that we're contenders for the automatic spots, and not too much to suggest that we're going to be in the play-offs come the end of the season.

We've been poor (in performances and results) against the shit teams of the division. We've barely made a dent against our so-called rivals. What we have shown is that we can beat some of the other teams vying for mid-table obscurity. Whoop-de-fucking-do! Prem here we come!

Never mind win the next game and we're on course for play-offs. Lose the next game (away at a team only 5 points below us and in better form than us over the last 6 games) then we're likely to end the weekend in 10th position

Then we'll see what the "stop complaining, we're in the play-offs" brigade will come up with.
"stop complaining, we were in the play-offs last weekend" perhaps?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 11 Nov 2013 02:20

P!ssed Off
Drenthe is a fat oxf*rd who will probably never reach an acceptable level of fitness.

Give him some time you oxf*rd cock end.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 11 Nov 2013 09:01

First half was a bit meh, once we scored the game livened up a lot. Quite even overall with no one looking too outstanding.

Highlight was obviously the QPR player kicking the ball on the stadium roof. Worth the entrance fee on its own.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Nov 2013 09:05

For what it's worth, I sat in a pub and consumed a few good drops of Doom Bar while watching the game. I won't bother giving an opinion on the individuals but I will offer a summary.

A point was probably a fair result as neither side did enough to win or play badly enough to lose. I felt that QPR edged it as they had more creativity and movement where it mattered. Reading lacked a catalyst. There was definitely a spark missing from their play. Compared to the desperately dull bore draw v Brighton, this was a much improved performance. Both goals were excelently taken and I thought the referee was one of the best I have seen in ages. Let the game flow as much as possible and played advantage wherever he could.

Will Reading get promotion? I really can't tell on that showing. Play-offs would probably be the best to hope for. And as for the crowd, 21k plus for a televised game was impressive. Shame that the atmos did not come across on tv as it only got noisy when the goals went in.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Nov 2013 09:30

Sounds like the atmosphere came across perfectly

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 11 Nov 2013 09:46

P!ssed Off How confident are we in the defence improving?

We actually have a decent squad. If we could get some confidence then we could do some damage to this league. Promotion is often gained by streaky teams.
I'm not sure where its going to come from though. Last year was awful and we are still in the hangover. Im concerned that in the last few years we've really struggled to get new signings onto the pitch.
Also that Sheffield Wednesday result was exactly what we didn't need. An obvious thing to say, but when I saw a run of Doncaster / Millwall / Sheff Wed - I thought this could be the moment the confidence turned around.
I personally disagree with Snowball, I thought our squad was good enough to beat QPR - but not in this current mood.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 Nov 2013 10:14

+1

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Nov 2013 10:17

P!ssed Off
Ian Royal
paddy20 Although QPR are decent we should win our games at home if we are serious contenders. Afraid we are two or three players away from that. Cant understand why he persists with Kanu,and we don't have a tough tackler in midfield or a quick central defender

We're on form for a 73 point season which is a good chance of play offs. Win the next game (which we have a fair chance of) and we're on a 77 point season, which absolutely is play offs.

We've got a mound of injuries and we've not quite clicked. We've still got the January transfer window. We're absolutely contenders. Outside contenders for autos at best absolutely, but we're serious contenders for the play offs.

Not sure "form" can really be stretched to 15 games tbh.
Last 6 games we've picked up 6 points. Based on the last 6 matches we're on course for 55 points.
Yes 2 of those games were against very good teams, but four of the matches were against shit teams.

Who's to say this is merely a blip in form?

How confident are we in the defence improving?
Kelly will never be a competent left back, will Bridge manage to avoid niggle injuries throughout the season? Are Pearce and Morrison going to form a solid partnership and stop gifting goals, as we've seen our sub CB is useless almost giving 3 goals away single handedly in just one match.

Drenthe is a fat oxf*rd who will probably never reach an acceptable level of fitness. Williams has been out for ages and was hardly in inspired form before. Robson-Kanu has been quite poor all season. Obita is yet to progress from youth prospect to 1st team player despite an extended run in the team. Baird is hardly the epitome of energy. The midfield player who represented energy is out for the rest of the season in fact.

Striking and goalkeeping options are positives. We've got 3 good strikers at the club now, when at the start of the season it seemed the case that we had only one. We've got 2 good options for keeper. Guthrie and Gunter have also been consistently good imo.

But I've seen virtually nothing to suggest that we're contenders for the automatic spots, and not too much to suggest that we're going to be in the play-offs come the end of the season.

We've been poor (in performances and results) against the shit teams of the division. We've barely made a dent against our so-called rivals. What we have shown is that we can beat some of the other teams vying for mid-table obscurity. Whoop-de-fucking-do! Prem here we come!

Never mind win the next game and we're on course for play-offs. Lose the next game (away at a team only 5 points below us and in better form than us over the last 6 games) then we're likely to end the weekend in 10th position

Then we'll see what the "stop complaining, we're in the play-offs" brigade will come up with.
"stop complaining, we were in the play-offs last weekend" perhaps?

Agreed.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 11 Nov 2013 10:38

Pretty average game, Guthrie had a very good game as did Pog, does the horrible work no one else likes doing, McCarthy should at the very least be one of the 3 England squad keepers.

For us, like him or not, Barton is class, Benny had a good game as did Hoilett and Philips, although the latter does more step overs than he runs metres, shame Junior was virtually a bystander for the last 15, as was probably the one player to win it for us.

Classic fans in the East Stand, especially the bloke that threw his coat off remonstrating to a few QPR fans after we'd scored, especially as he was sat with his son of about 4, but as always, good before, good after, average in between.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Nov 2013 10:54

guthrie has not played well in weeks imo.
and was terrible on saturday

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Nov 2013 11:05

melonhead guthrie has not played well in weeks imo.
and was terrible on saturday

I think you're letting your prejudice cloud your judgement here brendy, again. Either that or you just don't get what he's supposed to be doing.

I think he, like Bridge was, is carry some kind of knock that's limiting his impact a bit though as he's not dominating games quite as he was a few weeks back before he picked up a couple of knocks (was it the Leeds game?).

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Nov 2013 11:13

:roll: he recieved about 4 melonhead man of the match awards over 4 games recently.
but that form has gone- and it is possible he is injured.

on saturday he barely showed for the ball, and did bugger all apart from give the ball away.
he had 2-3 people on him most of the day, and that's the main reason why he had a bad game, but it was still definitely bad.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 11 Nov 2013 11:15

You obviously just don't get what he's supposed to be doing Brendy.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Nov 2013 11:34

melonhead :roll: he recieved about 4 melonhead man of the match awards over 4 games recently.

on saturday he barely showed for the ball, and did bugger all apart from give the ball away.
he had 2-3 people on him most of the day, and that's the main reason why he had a bad game, but it was still definitely bad.

Not much more GUthrie could have done. He needs people to show for the ball and to create space so he can pick the right pass. QPR were doing that all game whereas the Reading players who played further forward all looked as if they were waiting for something to happen. Look on the bright side; we won't come up against too many teams better than QPR this season.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 Nov 2013 11:52

Tredder Pretty average game, Guthrie had a very good game as did Pog, does the horrible work no one else likes doing, McCarthy should at the very least be one of the 3 England squad keepers.

For us, like him or not, Barton is class, Benny had a good game as did Hoilett and Philips, although the latter does more step overs than he runs metres, shame Junior was virtually a bystander for the last 15, as was probably the one player to win it for us.

Classic fans in the East Stand, especially the bloke that threw his coat off remonstrating to a few QPR fans after we'd scored, especially as he was sat with his son of about 4, but as always, good before, good after, average in between.

'greed re Barton, thought he looked superb in the midfield and is too good for this division. I think BAE is also too good for this division, although he didn't close McCleary down well enough for the goal.

I was sat there looking at your squad and if you don't win it this year then something is wrong. I mean you sub off Jenas and on comes Kranjcar :shock:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Nov 2013 11:53

southbank1871 You obviously just don't get what he's supposed to be doing Brendy.

:D he was supposed to be doing that?! :wink:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Nov 2013 11:54

Terminal Boardom
melonhead :roll: he recieved about 4 melonhead man of the match awards over 4 games recently.

Not much more GUthrie could have done. He needs people to show for the ball and to create space so he can pick the right pass. QPR were doing that all game whereas the Reading players who played further forward all looked as if they were waiting for something to happen. Look on the bright side; we won't come up against too many teams better than QPR this season.

im terminally optimistic as usual.was a good game, i enjoyed it.
just saying guthrie has been poor recently.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Nov 2013 12:33

When everyone tells you you’re wrong, it might be time to re-visit your opinion….

Another +1 for Guthrie having a decent game.

Our biggest problem (already said on this thread an others a few times) is a real lack of attacking movement. The number of times players got the ball (Guthrie and Pog in particular) and were left with no options at all was quite ridiculous. Pog you can accept a little – sometimes the ball was humped up to him and in time support arrived. But when Guthrie gets the ball 10 yards in front of the centre-backs, he needs more options than Chris Baird slowly ambling into space. No excuse for a central midfielder not having anyone to pass to – McCarthy has clearly been instructed to use the short ball out from the back, but on a number of occasions he got the ball back in 3 passes for the hoof up-field.

I like Obita – lots of promise even if he is a bit raw still. Good pace and looked comfortable on the ball. Same problem as above however – on the two occasions in the second half that Obita beat his man and got the by-line (great to see, not enough of this in our team since GMac seems allergic to it), Jordan crossed the ball only to find there was no-one in the box at all.

McCarthy was in superb form again – but there is clearly a massive confidence issue with his kicking. We don’t look too far off Morrison taking goal kicks at the moment!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Nov 2013 12:43

Sanguine When everyone tells you you’re wrong, it might be time to re-visit your opinion….

Another +1 for Guthrie having a decent game.

Our biggest problem (already said on this thread an others a few times) is a real lack of attacking movement. The number of times players got the ball (Guthrie and Pog in particular) and were left with no options at all was quite ridiculous. Pog you can accept a little – sometimes the ball was humped up to him and in time support arrived. But when Guthrie gets the ball 10 yards in front of the centre-backs, he needs more options than Chris Baird slowly ambling into space. No excuse for a central midfielder not having anyone to pass to – McCarthy has clearly been instructed to use the short ball out from the back, but on a number of occasions he got the ball back in 3 passes for the hoof up-field.

I like Obita – lots of promise even if he is a bit raw still. Good pace and looked comfortable on the ball. Same problem as above however – on the two occasions in the second half that Obita beat his man and got the by-line (great to see, not enough of this in our team since GMac seems allergic to it), Jordan crossed the ball only to find there was no-one in the box at all.

McCarthy was in superb form again – but there is clearly a massive confidence issue with his kicking. We don’t look too far off Morrison taking goal kicks at the moment!

Everyone :-D

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Nov 2013 12:45

handbags_harris Gunter himself did extremely well on the whole up against Hoilett but his performance wasn't exactly flawless. Take the countless throw-ins gifted straight to QPR, as well as the Johnson effort near the end which flew wide - he chose to stand fully two yards off him 10 yards out and allowed an instinctive finisher an unhindered shot on goal. Lucky ladders Mr Gunter!! Then there were the two or three occasions when he got far too close to Johnson and allowed him to spin in behind him.

^ This. Gunter is an accident waiting to happen with his poor positional play and ball watching.

217 posts