Back from the game ..... charlton

174 posts
bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the game ..... charlton

by bobby1413 » 04 Dec 2013 13:09

floyd__streete
Doolittle The worst player yesterday was probably the fans.

:|

LOL @ people who describe the fans as a 'player'. Don't forget, the fans have paid for the 'privilege' of watching and if they think that the product on display is rubbish - as it was last night, as it has been consistently all season - they are well within their rights to voice their disapproval, just as a bad stand-up comedian would be heckled.

Agree with that Floyd.

It royally pisses me off when people rate the fans. More so when I go to more games. I took 2 days off work to travel to Nottingham, spending about £80 in petrol, £50 on a travelodge, £60ish on tickets. I choose to do that as I enjoy going to the games and having a night out in another place away from sunny Bracknell.

However, I feel insulted that the fans "performance" is judged. I work my bum off for the money I get and spend it on numerous things including watching football which isn't cheap. If I don't feel like shouting my head off on a cold Tuesday night watching a shiiit game then I won't - particularly because my throat still hurts from Friday at Forest when I screamed my vocal chords out.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 04 Dec 2013 13:31

floyd__streete
LoyalRoyal22 Gunter will be straight back into the team on Saturday thankfully. Why do you want the only fullback we have that can overlap and push on, out the team?

Because....

BR2 I was glad that Kelly was playing when Charlton had a bit of a go in the second-half-one last-ditch challenge was something Gunter can only dream about.

You didnt go WBA Away last season then? (First one that springs to mind)

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 04 Dec 2013 13:45

ZacNaloen
Sanguine Wasn’t at the game last night so didn’t see his performance – but if indeed Guthrie’s performances are tailing off a bit, is it as much because of our lack of movement as Guthrie’s ability? A misplaced pass is a misplaced pass, but the 4 times I have seen us this season we have (first half against Watford excepted) suffered from the same problem, and real lack of pace and movement when we have the ball. There’s only so much a ‘playmaker’ can do if his teammates are comatose (hence it ding-donging around the back five).

I agree with this.

I don't. A shit pass is a shit pass and Guthrie played countless loads of these last night both before and after Williams was subbed. I didn't notice that Williams had an "injury" so could not understand why the poorest player in the midfield was being subbed. Apparently Adkins pointed to his thigh when taking WIlliams off, either to indicate to the fans that was the reason or to tell Williams to limp.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Dec 2013 13:46

Calf

Struggle Pig

by Struggle Pig » 04 Dec 2013 14:20

LoyalRoyal22

Gunter will be straight back into the team on Saturday thankfully. Why do you want the only fullback we have that can overlap and push on, out the team?

The people who thought Kelly was the better option before the season started have been shown up big time.

Hang on. Whilst I agree Gunter should be back in the starting 11 for Saturday, because he has been great this season, saying "people who thought Kelly was the better option before the season started have been shown up big time", is I believe wrong.

I admit at the start of this season I would select Kelly over Gunter in my teams, but let's not forget just how bad Gunter was last year, for large parts, hence the reason for myself and others to make that decision. I do not think for one second that I have been "shown up"

I had made an informed decision, with the the facts that I had at the time.

I'm pleased Gunter is doing so well and let's hope when we go up, he can then be able actually carry this type of form on in the Premier League.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Dec 2013 14:42

Missed the game.

If I understand correctly, Cummings was at LB? How was he compared to Kelly there?

And Kelly at RB? Surely he's better than Gunter in his natural postion?

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 04 Dec 2013 14:49

Cummings: defensively solid, couldn't get forward too easily as he was uncomfortable taking the ball on his left to go round a man, always looking inside.

Kelly: not the best game, nearly gave away two pens and beaten rather easily. Got forward better than Cummings but less well than Gunts usually.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Dec 2013 14:59

Really :| that people describe Gunter as being 'great this season'. The most generous thing I can say is that he hasn't been quite as awful as he was last season. He certainly hasn't been amongst the better performers (ie. Pog, McCarthy, Guthrie and to a lesser extent Morrison) in a team which has been - at best - bang average.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Dec 2013 15:01

Goodness me Floyd.. Cheer up lad

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 04 Dec 2013 15:03

floyd__streete Really :| that people describe Gunter as being 'great this season'. The most generous thing I can say is that he hasn't been quite as awful as he was last season. He certainly hasn't been amongst the better performers (ie. Pog, McCarthy, Guthrie and to a lesser extent Morrison) in a team which has been - at best - bang average.

One of the more consistent players in the team..

Cypry

by Cypry » 04 Dec 2013 15:30

ZacNaloen
6 - McAnuff looked tired at the end, not surprising considering his workrate during the game, and lack of game time this season. No end product from him, which was disappointing, he seemed to shoot on a couple of occasions where perhaps a ball across the box might have been the better option. Supported Cummings well though - personally I'd give him a run of games over Obita to see if he can get his confidence going forward firing...

Disagree about giving him a go ahead of Obita for an extended period, he's good back up if Obita needs a rest or gets injured but Obita is the future for the that position and did nothing to deserve the drop (except recognising we have a busy period ahead)

It largely depends who's playing at left back - if it's Kelly or Bridge, then Obita will be fine, but if he decides to stick with Cummings (and I think he might well do that) then Jobi is a far better option...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 04 Dec 2013 15:53

Agreed with Zac on this one. Could understand Jobi getting the nod over Obita last night for fitness/cover related issues, but dropping Obita permanently would be a real backward step imho. McAnuff has done little this season to put himself above Obita and given their respective ages it would be a very short termist decision.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Dec 2013 16:08

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 04 Dec 2013 16:21

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Dec 2013 16:51

LoyalRoyal22 One of the more consistent players in the team..

Consistently cra.... 8)

winchester_royal Could understand Jobi getting the nod over Obita last night for fitness/cover related issues, but dropping Obita permanently would be a real backward step imho. McAnuff has done little this season to put himself above Obita and given their respective ages it would be a very short termist decision.

When I first heard the news that Obita was dropped I was like "FFS Adkins :!: " but tbh in a 442 Obita has to be the one to drop out of the middle of the park due to his inexperience and the fact that he is rather lightweight. He could have taken McAnuff's position out wide perhaps, but he's hardly looked outstanding on the flank. McAnuff did a fine job last night covering a makeshift left back making a rare league appearance and he was - as always - consistently good in possession coming forward.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 04 Dec 2013 16:57

Cummings was pretty solid on his own, but it's true he was rescued by mcanuff a couple of times where his positioning let him down. Obita is an unknown quantity in that situation.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 04 Dec 2013 16:58

Not saying that Jobi is a bad player. Far from it, he's turned into a very dependable and steady member of the squad, but he's getting on a bit and doesn't sparkle enough to justify the short sighted strategy that it would be to keep Obita out of the team.

FTR though if Williams is injured for Saturday's game, then as far as CM options go

The ageing McAnuff >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The 'developing' Hope Akpan

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 04 Dec 2013 17:00

floyd__streete When I first heard the news that Obita was dropped I was like "FFS Adkins :!: " but tbh in a 442 Obita has to be the one to drop out of the middle of the park due to his inexperience and the fact that he is rather lightweight. He could have taken McAnuff's position out wide perhaps, but he's hardly looked outstanding on the flank. McAnuff did a fine job last night covering a makeshift left back making a rare league appearance and he was - as always - consistently good in possession coming forward.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 04 Dec 2013 18:17

LoyalRoyal22
floyd__streete
LoyalRoyal22 Gunter will be straight back into the team on Saturday thankfully. Why do you want the only fullback we have that can overlap and push on, out the team?

Because....

BR2 I was glad that Kelly was playing when Charlton had a bit of a go in the second-half-one last-ditch challenge was something Gunter can only dream about.

You didnt go WBA Away last season then? (First one that springs to mind)

I did....one of the best hospitality experiences IMO.....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 04 Dec 2013 18:37

Brum Royal This unnamed player that Dellor quoted is all very well being anonymous tonight, but TD then said he was coming on the show on Saturday so "it wouldn't take too much imagination to work out who it was". My money's on it being McAnuff, as the player in question was described as being very senior.

Whilst the atmosphere was pretty piss poor last night, it's worth noting that the atmosphere was at it's "best" when the team was playing with tempo, controlling the game and creating chances in the first half. As the performance and tempo began to decline, so did the atmosphere, and towards the end of the first half, and early parts of the second half it was deathly quiet (more so than usual). But, it instantly lifted as soon as we made one move with a bit of tempo and created a chance which McAnuff put wide. It was very much a "team raises the crowd" kind of a night last night, not the other way round as sometimes happens.

Doubt it.

174 posts