Watford Match Thread sponsored by 0-0 draws

182 posts
ILoveMoonPig

Re: Watford Match Thread sponsored by 0-0 draws

by ILoveMoonPig » 11 Jan 2014 17:43

Royalwaster
harry
MmmMonsterMunch 6 points between 10th-20th in the Prem. Mental!

About ten years ago Palace came to us at the end of January. They were bottom 3 but that won that day and it was the start of a run. They managed to get into the play-offs and got promotion. Just shows what a run can do in this division. See most seasons under McDermott for other examples.

We lost 3:0 two games in a row didn't we - against CP and Wimb .... two of the most inept home performances ever. Who was our manager then - AP or SC?

Have a feeling it was SC. I think it might actually have been three 3-0 defeats in a row. That game against Crystal Palace pretty much kick-started Andy Johnson's career.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 11 Jan 2014 17:46

The Real Sandhurst Royal
We are a better team without Guthrie.

+1

+

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 11 Jan 2014 17:51

AWESOME header from Gorkss!!

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 11 Jan 2014 18:34

Best day out at the football in many months. Possibly even since our last promotion season.
Team gave 100%, and I've not been able to say that for quite a while.
it wasn't an amazing performance, watford might easily have nicked a draw, but even if they had I'd still have been happy with our effort. We were first to every ball and battled for the win.

Great atmosphere at the back of the stands. Non-stop 90 minute support, and the players delivered. Great scenes at the end of the game, that link between the support and players has been somewhat restored.

Obita motm imo. Solid in defence, solid in attack and got the assist.

Shout out to Jonh Salako for being a legend!
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 11 Jan 2014 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Jan 2014 18:35

A big result for us bearing in mind how close it is amongst the mid to upper part of the table.
Will be very interested, as ever, to hear from those that actually went.
BBC says possession was 56/44% so presumably we didn't do what Nigel always wants "control of the football" and we supposedly had just the one shot on target.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 11 Jan 2014 18:42

3points
RG7Fan Not too sure about those stats - listen on BBCRB and it sounded like we had more shots on goal, etc. Guess it depends on your definition of 'on target'.

Somewhere between the posts and below the cross bar??

Well indeed - but the BBC website was showing 1 on target shot before Gorkss scored ... so either goals don't count or the BBC don't know what they are doing. <== Insert comment here.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 11 Jan 2014 18:44

Victor Meldrew A big result for us bearing in mind how close it is amongst the mid to upper part of the table.
BBC says possession was 56/44% so presumably we didn't do what Nigel always wants "control of the football" and we supposedly had just the one shot on target.

yes but 15 attempts, that has to be an improvement on recent efforts, having said that only one on target is pretty poor

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 11 Jan 2014 18:49

URZZZZZ
3points Won 1-0, with only 44% possession.

and only 1 shot on target according to bbc, however accurate they are i dunno

Is accurate, 1 shot on target. Agreed there were also more efforts on goal from Reading so actually a bit of excitement for a change. Expecting normal service next week.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Jan 2014 19:18

Barry the bird boggler
URZZZZZ
3points Won 1-0, with only 44% possession.

and only 1 shot on target according to bbc, however accurate they are i dunno

Is accurate, 1 shot on target. Agreed there were also more efforts on goal from Reading so actually a bit of excitement for a change. Expecting normal service next week.

So goals are only counted as that and not as shots on target?

If not, we definitely had a shot on target before the goal because we were all singing about it. Keeper had to dive to his right to push away.

Victor Meldrew A big result for us bearing in mind how close it is amongst the mid to upper part of the table.

We actually kept the ball extremely weel for long spells after we scored. It was only in the final third of the game that we started to panic a bit and just hammer it away/treat it like a red hot potato. As a consequence Watford were able to create a lot more chances, thus proving the point that Adkins has been making ever since he took over.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 11 Jan 2014 19:23

Nigel says:-

"We're really going to enjoy the second half of the season."

Here's hoping..................unlike his prediction of Champions and 100 goals. :wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2014 19:25

The Real Sandhurst Royal

+1

Currently. He's still comfortably our best midfielder. Poor form doesn't equal shit player.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2014 19:26

Royalwaster
harry
MmmMonsterMunch 6 points between 10th-20th in the Prem. Mental!

About ten years ago Palace came to us at the end of January. They were bottom 3 but that won that day and it was the start of a run. They managed to get into the play-offs and got promotion. Just shows what a run can do in this division. See most seasons under McDermott for other examples.

We lost 3:0 two games in a row didn't we - against CP and Wimb .... two of the most inept home performances ever. Who was our manager then - AP or SC?

3 games in a row over Xmas. Coppell's first season.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Jan 2014 19:28

Ian Royal
The Real Sandhurst Royal

+1

Currently. He's still comfortably our best midfielder. Poor form doesn't equal shit player.

Ady Williams reckoned he (Guthrie) would have done really well today, given the amount of space that Watford's formation left to exploit.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Jan 2014 19:44

RoyalBlue
Ian Royal
The Real Sandhurst Royal
+1

Ady Williams reckoned he (Guthrie) would have done really well today, given the amount of space that Watford's formation left to exploit.

I think he may be spot on, although it's obviously hard to say. I said this on the prediction thread
Ian Royal Don't think we're as bad as recent results suggest.

We had our best performance against Watford (at least part of the game) and they seemed to play quite open football. If we were in better form, given their position in the league I'd have thought we were in with a good chance of a good result and performance. But with low confidence, poor form and an little continuity in the line up, I think we'll probably struggle away again.

1-2 Watford.

Obviously I was wrong about the result, but it does seem like Watford are a team that let others play and believe they have enough quality to win anyway. This season is showing them you can't let other teams play their own game unopposed.

I think a lot of our problem has been the level of pressing and aggression in this league. It's meant we've needed to work really hard to engineer angles and space, and our movement and crispness of passing just haven't been up to scratch to deal with it.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 11 Jan 2014 19:53

URZZZZZ
Ian Royal Angela Merkel fouls a blackman. Typical German.

i hate racism, racism is a crime and crime is for black people

Steady on young man. We had a result today and we're in a good mood. Your comments were obviously in jest, but lets be careful, it wasn't very clever. You probably have time to edit it.

EPR2.0

by EPR2.0 » 11 Jan 2014 19:54

P!ssed Off Shout out to Jonh Salako for being a legend!

^^^^

As the Reading players came over to applaud our away support, John, having signed off from Sky Sports duty but of course having to maintain professional neutrality looked on in peaceful solitude - alone with his memories, until pretty much every Reading player had left the pitch.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 11 Jan 2014 19:56

A Watford supporting friend of mine just posted this comment on Facebook

"having to suffer a really sh*t Watford team lose to a one dimensional hoofball outfit."

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jan 2014 20:37

hey hey lol

not as though "hoofball" ever got us anywhere before :wink:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 11 Jan 2014 20:47

ILoveMoonPig
Royalwaster
harry About ten years ago Palace came to us at the end of January. They were bottom 3 but that won that day and it was the start of a run. They managed to get into the play-offs and got promotion. Just shows what a run can do in this division. See most seasons under McDermott for other examples.

Have a feeling it was SC. I think it might actually have been three 3-0 defeats in a row. That game against Crystal Palace pretty much kick-started Andy Johnson's career.
Yes it was Sir Steve's early days with us.

IIRC the third 3-0 defeat was at home to Watford (of all the teams) in the cup...I was there when Lloyd O came on, and was the only player that looked like actually doing absolutely anything.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 11 Jan 2014 20:49

AthleticoSpizz
ILoveMoonPig
Royalwaster We lost 3:0 two games in a row didn't we - against CP and Wimb .... two of the most inept home performances ever. Who was our manager then - AP or SC?

Yes it was Sir Steve's early days with us.

IIRC the third 3-0 defeat was at home to Watford (of all the teams) in the cup...I was there when Lloyd O came on, and was the only player that looked like actually doing absolutely anything.

Wusu!Wusu!Wusu!

182 posts