Birmingham Match Thread - Sponsored by HooliHoops

178 posts
grey_squirrel

Re: Birmingham Match Thread - Sponsored by HooliHoops

by grey_squirrel » 22 Mar 2014 20:25

3points wingers disappearing from one game to the next often has nothing to do with the winger. Credit normally should go to the full back who keeps the winger quiet, rather than bemoaning a lack of consistency. As Nige said today, Obita hardly gave Burke a kick and Burke is a decent Championship player.

Another good example is the home game against QPR - Essou Ekoto has McCleary in his pocket all game,yet McCleary scored a screamer in the game at Loftus Road

True but on another day, conversely, the winger will have the full back in his pocket. I suppose it is an exposed, isolated position and not one where you can ever say they had a "so-so" game.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 22 Mar 2014 21:05

bobby1413 Wondering if Leicester could beat the 106 points :-\

Currently on 80 points after 35 games

Now 81 after 36. For comparison, we were on 86 after 36. We went on to win 5 and draw 5 in our last 10 games:-

Burnley a W 3-0
Watford h D 0-0
Wolves h D 1-1
Leicester a D 1-1
Derby h W 5-0
Cardiff a W 5-2
Leeds a D 1-1
Stoke h W 3-1
Sheff Wed a D 1-1
QPR h W 2-1

Leicester therefore have to win at least 8 of their last 10 to have to even think about challenging the record...

specialjon

by specialjon » 22 Mar 2014 21:31

Cripple Creek Mmmm ... I never thought Jobi lacked footballing ability. There's a reason he has spent all his career in the top two divisions. Weirdly he seems a player who, unaccountably, can lack confidence but I have never considered for a moment that he is lacking in the ability department.

I don't want to sound harsh, but if he didn't lack footballing ability why isn't he playing in the top league with a top club? He lacks the ability to finish, his crossing is hit and miss. His decision making is also suspect. Obviously no player is perfect but the reason he is playing for us and not in the premier league is the lack of these things.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 22 Mar 2014 21:39

I know it is fashionable to have a go at our captain whose goal scoring form (up until today) has been poor. All I have to say is look at our record when he plays as opposed to when he doesn't. #justsayin'

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Mar 2014 21:50

specialjon
Cripple Creek Mmmm ... I never thought Jobi lacked footballing ability. There's a reason he has spent all his career in the top two divisions. Weirdly he seems a player who, unaccountably, can lack confidence but I have never considered for a moment that he is lacking in the ability department.

I don't want to sound harsh, but if he didn't lack footballing ability why isn't he playing in the top league with a top club? He lacks the ability to finish, his crossing is hit and miss. His decision making is also suspect. Obviously no player is perfect but the reason he is playing for us and not in the premier league is the lack of these things.

So by your definition only those who play their career out in the top flight have footballing ability. No one has said McAnuff is a Prem quality player, although he did a good job in his one season there. But he quite clearly has plenty of footballing ability.

Almost no one's crossing is always good, but his record with us proves his ability in that regard. Consistently one of the top assisters at the club. His shooting is a weakness. But he still pops up with important goals every now and then. Probably his biggest weakness, as suggested by Brian, is his mental fragility, which is, I think, the root cause of his weak shooting.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Mar 2014 21:51

Took Adkins too long to realise that minor point at the front end of this season Libertine.

specialjon

by specialjon » 22 Mar 2014 21:56

Ian Royal
specialjon

So by your definition only those who play their career out in the top flight have footballing ability. No one has said McAnuff is a Prem quality player, although he did a good job in his one season there. But he quite clearly has plenty of footballing ability.

Almost no one's crossing is always good, but his record with us proves his ability in that regard. Consistently one of the top assisters at the club. His shooting is a weakness. But he still pops up with important goals every now and then. Probably his biggest weakness, as suggested by Brian, is his mental fragility, which is, I think, the root cause of his weak shooting.

I agree with pretty much all you say. Who knows why his shot is weak. He clearly has footballing ability but lacks some to be a top performer at the top level, that's my point about him and pearce, they lack footballing ability to play at the highest level but both have passion for the club which makes up for some of the lack of ability.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 22 Mar 2014 21:59

handbags_harris
bobby1413 Wondering if Leicester could beat the 106 points :-\

Currently on 80 points after 35 games

Now 81 after 36. For comparison, we were on 86 after 36. We went on to win 5 and draw 5 in our last 10 games:-

Burnley a W 3-0
Watford h D 0-0
Wolves h D 1-1
Leicester a D 1-1
Derby h W 5-0
Cardiff a W 5-2
Leeds a D 1-1
Stoke h W 3-1
Sheff Wed a D 1-1
QPR h W 2-1

Leicester therefore have to win at least 8 of their last 10 to have to even think about challenging the record...

Went to most of those matches. Seems like only yesterday. :(

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 22 Mar 2014 23:09

Yep, to be honest I should have given up watching football at full time of the QPR game. It'll never, ever, get any better than that will it?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 22 Mar 2014 23:18

AthleticoSpizz Took Adkins too long to realise that minor point at the front end of this season Libertine.

Yep. Glad he did (eventually) figure it out. It is one of the reasons I still back him as strongly as I do. Because despite any perceived "shortcomings" all Jobi seems to do (at least at this level) is win. Probably my favorite member of this squad currently, and borderline Reading legend based on what has been accomplished by the team, partly under his captaincy, during his time here. He isn't "flashy" but the way he has carried himself, on and off the pitch, and what he has accomplished on the pitch I view him as what is called "a professional's professional".

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Mar 2014 23:23

+100

as they say on here.

The most consistantly brilliant player that I have ever seen......... since our relegation from the Premier under Steve Coppell

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Mar 2014 23:23

handbags_harris Yep, to be honest I should have given up watching football at full time of the QPR game. It'll never, ever, get any better than that will it?

You'd have missed:

M'boro (H) 3-2
Man Utd (H) 1-1
Spurs (H) 3-1
West Ham (H) 6-0
Chelsea (A) 2-2
Everton (A) 1-1
Man Utd FA Cup (H) 2-3
Man Utd (A) 0-0
Liverpool (A) 3-1
Donny (H) 4-3
Liverpool FA Cup (H) 1-1
Liverpool FA Cup (A) 2-1
Chelsea (H) 2-2
West Brom (H) 3-2

Amongst others. And there are some pretty special matches in that list.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 22 Mar 2014 23:44

Ian Royal
handbags_harris Yep, to be honest I should have given up watching football at full time of the QPR game. It'll never, ever, get any better than that will it?

You'd have missed:

M'boro (H) 3-2
Man Utd (H) 1-1
Spurs (H) 3-1
West Ham (H) 6-0
Chelsea (A) 2-2
Everton (A) 1-1
Man Utd FA Cup (H) 2-3
Man Utd (A) 0-0
Liverpool (A) 3-1
Donny (H) 4-3
Liverpool FA Cup (H) 1-1
Liverpool FA Cup (A) 2-1
Chelsea (H) 2-2
West Brom (H) 3-2

Amongst others. And there are some pretty special matches in that list.

Man Utd FA cup (a) 1-1
Everton FA cup (a) 1-0

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 23 Mar 2014 07:00

Even though we lost them, two FA Cup Quarter Finals.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 23 Mar 2014 07:05

Personally I was in dreamland after our first home game of 07/08 season, a 1-0 win vs Everton. The swagger, style and commitment we beat them with got me thinking we were heading for brighter things.

Until November we looked like we were... Then we collapsed believe it or not after we beat Liverpool 3-1

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Mar 2014 10:14

Libertine
AthleticoSpizz Took Adkins too long to realise that minor point at the front end of this season Libertine.

Yep. Glad he did (eventually) figure it out. It is one of the reasons I still back him as strongly as I do. Because despite any perceived "shortcomings" all Jobi seems to do (at least at this level) is win. Probably my favorite member of this squad currently, and borderline Reading legend based on what has been accomplished by the team, partly under his captaincy, during his time here. He isn't "flashy" but the way he has carried himself, on and off the pitch, and what he has accomplished on the pitch I view him as what is called "a professional's professional".

Top bloke. Should he in line for p.o.s if he keeps playing like he has since he regained his place

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Mar 2014 10:19

marlowuk QPR win 1 - 3. :(

Only just. Undeserved and lucky.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 23 Mar 2014 10:28

That mistake by the Boro keeper :evil:

McClearyChops

by McClearyChops » 23 Mar 2014 10:58

Pepe the Horseman That mistake by the Boro keeper :evil:

Wasn't his fault , he's not the groundsman

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Mar 2014 11:01

Pepe the Horseman That mistake by the Boro keeper :evil:

That was a horrific bobble and with Zamora closing him down he didn't have much time to take a touch. Exceptionally harsh to say he was at fault. Nothing he could do about it.

178 posts