Pearce to Derby - CONFIMRED

321 posts
Mr.Swainey

Re: Pearce to Leeds

by Mr.Swainey » 04 Jun 2015 16:42

floyd__streete
mafff Good.

Presumably this is 'good' because the endless speculation ends :?: Not good news for our prospects for next season. I defy you to name me a Championship-standard centre-half who will replace Pearce - who himself is an excellent player at this level - within our budget ie. no transfer fee involved, sorry :!:

Agreed.

Another absolute embarrassment from a club that is only heading downwards.

:lol: @ anyone who has purchased a season ticket for the upcoming campaign.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Jun 2015 16:45

Mr.Swainey
floyd__streete
mafff Good.

Presumably this is 'good' because the endless speculation ends :?: Not good news for our prospects for next season. I defy you to name me a Championship-standard centre-half who will replace Pearce - who himself is an excellent player at this level - within our budget ie. no transfer fee involved, sorry :!:

Agreed.

Quoted for prosperity.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Jun 2015 18:41

Hendo
Quoted for prosperity.

Posterity.

Unless you think that quote will make you rich :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jun 2015 20:01

:lol:

Until the next time eh?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Jun 2015 22:05

Mr.Swainey
floyd__streete
mafff Good.

Agreed.

Whilst the point stands about getting in a replacement, i fail to see the logic in re-signing a player on wages we cannot afford. We've been there, done that and that's why we're in this mess in the first place.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 04 Jun 2015 22:39

genome Maybe Pearce is the bad egg?

That's why we offered him a new contract I suppose.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jun 2015 22:41

It could've been a shit one.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 04 Jun 2015 22:45

genome It could've been a shit one.

Then why offer it if he's a bad egg?

Just release surely?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Jun 2015 10:40

Maybe he's such a bad egg they felt the need to insult him before letting him go.

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 05 Jun 2015 13:05

As has been stated before both he and Feds were offered approx. 50% of what they were previously on. So no surprise they're going elsewhere if their agents are any good. This doesn't have mean the end of the world as we know it, the championship clubs in general are spending way beyond their means and we're going to have to get used to cutting costs. At the end of the day QPR & Bolton and some other clubs will have to face up to the facts that they are going to go bust eventually. Once we get the other two main leeches off our payroll ie. Pog & HRK then we will be back on a more even keel and can challenge again

JamesWN

by JamesWN » 05 Jun 2015 14:38

genome Maybe he's such a bad egg they felt the need to insult him before letting him go.

:lol:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Jun 2015 14:43

Mr.Swainey
floyd__streete
mafff Good.

Agreed.

:roll: :roll:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Jun 2015 15:35

No matter how the apologists try to gloss over it, this is another poor piece of business by the club.

People say we couldn't re-sign him on wages that we can't afford. True, but then it does come down to the definition of affordable and whether wages are considered merely as a loss or as a necessary investment. Besides, will he being going for that much more than we can afford elsewhere?

Like Feds and Jem, Pearce had tremendous value to us as a player and will be very difficult to afford to replace with a similar standard player within the club's budget. Also like Feds and Jem, Pearce would have had financial value to us, had we got him under contract. Seems to me that we have thrown both types of asset away.

It's likely that as we seek to find suitable replacements for these players we will see a similar situation as with Fods - i.e. we will be outbid (wages) by other clubs and our interest will mysteriously wane.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 05 Jun 2015 15:44

You make a good point. We extended McCleary's contract, and that will have take a pay rise - but that'll also mean seeing him go within 6-12 months for a big fee, just as Hector will if he continues to impress. Perhaps we didn't see that greater resale value in Pearce or Feds.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Jun 2015 16:40

RoyalBlue No matter how the apologists try to gloss over it, this is another poor piece of business by the club.

People say we couldn't re-sign him on wages that we can't afford. True, but then it does come down to the definition of affordable and whether wages are considered merely as a loss or as a necessary investment. Besides, will he being going for that much more than we can afford elsewhere?

Like Feds and Jem, Pearce had tremendous value to us as a player and will be very difficult to afford to replace with a similar standard player within the club's budget. Also like Feds and Jem, Pearce would have had financial value to us, had we got him under contract. Seems to me that we have thrown both types of asset away.

It's likely that as we seek to find suitable replacements for these players we will see a similar situation as with Fods - i.e. we will be outbid (wages) by other clubs and our interest will mysteriously wane.

Were you watching a different team last season? Pearce had nothing near "tremendous value" last year - the bloke was dropped around Christmas lest we forget, for Jake Cooper who has proven to be an ample replacement, and one that, judging by opinion on here, supporters are happy with.

Pearce seems to be a bit Marmite in terms of fan opinion and we can't have players like that on the highest wages, we simply can't. I can see where you're coming from in that we missed out on a transfer fee for him, yes but given the situation we were in at the end of the season he had to go

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Jun 2015 17:13

John Smith Pearce had nothing near "tremendous value" last year - the bloke was dropped around Christmas lest we forget, for Jake Cooper who has proven to be an ample replacement, and one that, judging by opinion on here, supporters are happy with.

Pearce seems to be a bit Marmite in terms of fan opinion and we can't have players like that on the highest wages, we simply can't.

Pearce wasn't dropped, he was suspended and then Cooper scored two goals. As a direct result of that, Cooper played against Birmingham, we lost 6-1, and Adkins was sacked.

With that second paragraph, you're saying you don't like him, and as a result he shouldn't be kept even though other people do like him?

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 05 Jun 2015 17:44

Has he gone yet ?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jun 2015 17:47

SCIAG
John Smith Pearce had nothing near "tremendous value" last year - the bloke was dropped around Christmas lest we forget, for Jake Cooper who has proven to be an ample replacement, and one that, judging by opinion on here, supporters are happy with.

Pearce seems to be a bit Marmite in terms of fan opinion and we can't have players like that on the highest wages, we simply can't.

Pearce wasn't dropped, he was suspended and then Cooper scored two goals. As a direct result of that, Cooper played against Birmingham, we lost 6-1, and Adkins was sacked.

With that second paragraph, you're saying you don't like him, and as a result he shouldn't be kept even though other people do like him?

And of course was then recalled and made captain.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 05 Jun 2015 18:22

I'd love to see Pearce stay but no player is bigger than the club. The name of the game unfortuantaly is cutting costs. Offering Pearce or Feds or Jem over and above what we can realistically afford and having them accept sets a precedent for every player who's contract we try to renew in the next two years.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Jun 2015 18:48

SCIAG

If that's not being dropped then I don't know what it is. His regular first team position was replaced by another player, regardless of the incoming player's previous form, that player has been dropped.

I was saying the highest earners should be the first name on the team sheet. Pearce isn't/wasn't and nor will he be at Derby County.

Is your head in the sand?

321 posts