Charlton (A) Match Thread

148 posts
No Fixed Abode

Re: Charlton (A) Match Thread

by No Fixed Abode » 29 Feb 2016 18:16

Ascotexgunner We would have lost that post Clarke and that Fulham game when we went on that horrendous run. Brian is slowly turning it around and giving the team fight again. So pleased we got him back.

3 points is 3 points granted. But a m8 of mine said that game could have gone either way. Al-Hasbi made some decent saves and the performance was pretty poor against a very poor Charlton side.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 Feb 2016 18:37

No Fixed Abode
Ascotexgunner We would have lost that post Clarke and that Fulham game when we went on that horrendous run. Brian is slowly turning it around and giving the team fight again. So pleased we got him back.

3 points is 3 points granted. But a m8 of mine said that game could have gone either way. Al-Hasbi made some decent saves and the performance was pretty poor against a very poor Charlton side.

Why the 'but'. Many games could 'go either way' but if one team has the balls to play to the end and score the winner then that's kind of the aim.
And I'm never sure why the fact that a keeper makes some saves is used to suggest a win was less than deserved. You have a decent keeper to make saves, it's part of the game.
Oddly no one ever says 'well you only won that because you scored a couple of goals' whereas the 'you only got something out of that because your keeper made some saves' is trotted out as a lazy cliché by many less than knowledgeable commentators....

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 29 Feb 2016 19:21

Nameless

I'm never sure why the fact that a keeper makes some saves is used to suggest a win was less than deserved. You have a decent keeper to make saves, it's part of the game.

I agree (but I often make the "Only the keeper saved you" mistake.)

I think it's because we want to see a back four NOT giving chances away.

The season we went up last time I was freaked because our defence was
breached too often but the other side missed chances or our keep' saved it.

I remember saying that in the Prem they score from those chances

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 29 Feb 2016 20:11

No Fixed Abode

Were you at the game NFA? I ask because looking on the CAFC forums there were many who thought their team had played much better than recently. And this was the first game they had given Sanogo decent time on the pitch which made a difference to them. Even their manager said they did not play like a relegation side. Yes - Al Habsi 'made some decent saves' but doesn't that contribute to making the Reading performance better than 'poor'? The statement 'Sanogo got some decent goals' wouldn't detract from the Charlton performance so why should Al Habsi's decent saves detract from the Reading performance?

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 29 Feb 2016 20:13

Ooops - apologies. I've just noticed I've made the same points that Nameless made a few posts earlier!!

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 01 Mar 2016 14:20

I didn't go (couldn't get someone to look after the dogs) but from the excerpts
I've seen Hector seemed often out of position and I didn't see (in the excerpts)
him making any tackles?

Considering we had a back five with "Hector DM in front" how did we manage to be so open?

My question then, is overall, what kind of game did Hector have?

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 01 Mar 2016 14:37

Snowball136 I didn't go (couldn't get someone to look after the dogs) but from the excerpts
I've seen Hector seemed often out of position and I didn't see (in the excerpts)
him making any tackles?

Considering we had a back five with "Hector DM in front" how did we manage to be so open?

Definitely below the benchmark he has set in recent weeks but whole team defended badly. Lots of individual mistakes. We were very attacking (in our play not so our set up) and we struggled defensively.

Snowball136

by Snowball136 » 02 Mar 2016 07:26

CountryRoyal
Snowball136 I didn't go (couldn't get someone to look after the dogs) but from the excerpts
him making any tackles?

Definitely below the benchmark he has set in recent weeks but whole team defended badly. Lots of individual mistakes. We were very attacking (in our play not so our set up) and we struggled defensively.

I watched the highlights a fair few times now

Goal one and he sort of wanders out to the winger (who is already covered by Obita)
and makes no block or tackle, is easily passed leaving Sanogo to bemuse Cooper.

To me Hector looks to be "ambling over"

For the second goal he's again wide, and again just seems to be ambling around

Would it be unreasonable to say that a CDM who has made the difference
recently and made the defence had to reach (never mind break) had a bad
day at the office and was the primary cause of our defeat?

That is, had he kept his discipline, would any of the three goals have been scored?

148 posts