Strangely optimistic about next season.

288 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Strangely optimistic about next season.

by tidus_mi2 » 13 May 2016 17:14

Top Flight Do you think Vydra would have started scoring for Warnock?

Do you think Piazon would have suddenly toughened up?

Do you think these players would have performed differently for Warnock?

Brian got enough out of them to assure our status in this division and then he immediately started planning for next season by running a series of experiments.

I like Neil Warnock, I think he's a good manager. If Brian wasn't an option then I would have been open to Warnock as our boss.

As we have appointed Brian, I am more than happy with Brian and would prefer to keep Brian. I think Brian has proven that he is as good a manager as Warnock. Warnock would have had a similarly difficult time if he was our boss this season.

If Warnock was appointed manager I would not renew my season ticket, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 13 May 2016 18:47

tidus_mi2
Top Flight Do you think Vydra would have started scoring for Warnock?

Do you think Piazon would have suddenly toughened up?

Do you think these players would have performed differently for Warnock?

Brian got enough out of them to assure our status in this division and then he immediately started planning for next season by running a series of experiments.

I like Neil Warnock, I think he's a good manager. If Brian wasn't an option then I would have been open to Warnock as our boss.

As we have appointed Brian, I am more than happy with Brian and would prefer to keep Brian. I think Brian has proven that he is as good a manager as Warnock. Warnock would have had a similarly difficult time if he was our boss this season.

If Warnock was appointed manager I would not renew my season ticket, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

More fool you ..

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 13 May 2016 18:47

No Fixed Abode
Silver Fox
Longhorn1970
I think the jury is out on that ...

Nope, he's definitely going to be a success

Hark at Mystic Smeg.

Lol

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 13 May 2016 18:51

Maneki Neko
Longhorn1970
Maneki Neko
Yarp. You are not alone.we are the quiet majority

A mediocre manager for a mediocre team ? I doubt that was the discussion when he was appointed but none of us will know what the expectations are, but somehow I don't think the owners (of the business which it is) would settle for mediocrity ..

so he isn't mediocre, or they wouldn't have settled for him.....

ok luke warm ..

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 May 2016 19:51

Longhorn1970
Maneki Neko
Longhorn1970
A mediocre manager for a mediocre team ? I doubt that was the discussion when he was appointed but none of us will know what the expectations are, but somehow I don't think the owners (of the business which it is) would settle for mediocrity ..

so he isn't mediocre, or they wouldn't have settled for him.....

ok luke warm ..

Hey Longhorn, my buddy. You still haven't told me who you would have realistically selected to be our manager instead of the outstanding Brian McDermott. Who would it be?

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 13 May 2016 22:37

Top Flight I'm sorry I got a bit condescending Royally Fcuked up! At the end of the day you love Reading FC, so maximum respect for that. You're a good man. We both have different ideas of who is the right manager to get us back to the Premier League, but the Premier League is where we both want to get to.

If you don't think Brian is the right manager to lead us back to the top flight, then which manager who Reading can realistically appoint do you think should be the man to lead the team?

Yes, I can also give you maximum respect for that and I'm sure you mean well sir. I do love the club but I don't like the way its being run at the moment and haven't done since that Russian asswipe got involved.

I definitely do question whether Brian has the ability to take the club forward from where it currently is, let alone take us up again. There were lots of managers I would have taken over him at the time. Now he is here though we may as well see what happens in the summer and see how we start off next season.

If we are going to get rid of him, the time would be now. If we are going to give him him time, we may need to give him the whole of next season at least. We've seen in the past we come on strong in the second half of seasons under him, and have gone from mid table right into contention. But if we are in the bottom six or so in November are the Thais going to wait? Chances are he'd be gone before Christmas if that happened and we'd never know, and we'd have wasted another season.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 May 2016 22:51

That's where we definitely do agree. The club is being run appallingly at the moment.

Hopefully that is down to lack of experience from the Thai's rather than poor intention. I hope that they are humble and take advice from men that have successfully run the club for many years in Howe and Madejski. And I hope that they stick with Brian and give him the time and support that he needs to get the job done. Then I'm sure I will be able to welcome you into the "We Love Brian!" fanboys happy club!

We're doing a picnic on the Madejski Stadium pitch if everyone's interested. There will be a firepit barbecue, a bonfire, a Tiki bar in the dugout, dogs are allowed, alcohol is encouraged and there will be lots of banging music from the 90s when I was clubbing it at Utopia. It's going to be a great party and all in honour of Brian McDermott. Because we love him!

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 13 May 2016 22:57

I've hoped and waited but it pains me that Norwood & Williams just haven't cut it for us. Both are one dimensional in that Norwood is only good for spreading the ball, whilst Williams just runs about cluelessly. Our wing play has disappeared also of course.

wednesdays midfield was superb this evening. It just highlighted the shortcomings in our own midfield. Bannan, Wallace, Lee and Lopez with Forestieri being the playmaker. When any of those 5 passed the ball they would immediately look to get in to space and really wanted it played back to them. No egos, just fight. Much like back in the day with little, hunt, harps and sidders in the midfield (don't shoot me down!). Experienced heads who could play, weren't scared to create as they knew their team mate had them covered, and could drop in anywhere across the midfield.

I can't wait for Tish to come back. It won't take many, but with a few clever additions in the middle of the park it can change everything for the team performance. The whole dynamic and mindset changes.

I'm optimistic giving the younger players a chance but I'll be extra optimistic if we can add to Quinniesta and bring in at least one experienced championship central midfielder & one experienced championship winger in to the club.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 May 2016 23:00

royalp-we I've hoped and waited but it pains me that Norwood & Williams just haven't cut it for us. Both are one dimensional in that Norwood is only good for spreading the ball, whilst Williams just runs about cluelessly. Our wing play has disappeared also of course.

wednesdays midfield was superb this evening. It just highlighted the shortcomings in our own midfield. Bannan, Wallace, Lee and Lopez with Forestieri being the playmaker. When any of those 5 passed the ball they would immediately look to get in to space and really wanted it played back to them. No egos, just fight. Much like back in the day with little, hunt, harps and sidders in the midfield (don't shoot me down!). Experienced heads who could play, weren't scared to create as they knew their team mate had them covered, and could drop in anywhere across the midfield.

I can't wait for Tish to come back. It won't take many, but with a few clever additions in the middle of the park it can change everything for the team performance. The whole dynamic and mindset changes.

I'm optimistic giving the younger players a chance but I'll be extra optimistic if we can add to Quinniesta and bring in at least one experienced championship central midfielder & one experienced championship winger in to the club.

Totally agree, bang on!

And as Brian says, it is about finding the right blend. The right chemistry. There is no doubt that Norwood and Williams just don't have the right chemistry. It's possible that they can't blend with anyone.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 13 May 2016 23:07

It's a possibility. Bannan looked completely different to Norwood in that he played deep, spread the ball, but got forward with the rest of them when on the attack.

I've got faith that McShane, Gunter (yep), GMac will come good next year. With Quinn and a few others I'm not so sure all the doom and gloom of relegation fears is really needed.

Or it's just the beer talking :lol:
Last edited by royalp-we on 14 May 2016 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 13 May 2016 23:17

Yeah, we probably don't need to worry about the drop. We still have plenty of good players. Promotion might actually be a serious possibility. We may only be a good striker and winger away from that. Although saying it and being able to land a good striker are two different things.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 13 May 2016 23:20

Mr Angry I rarely post on the Team board nowadays because, as someone who had a conscious uncoupling to the club a while ago, I felt that I couldn't add to the debate about what was wrong, what needed to be done etc etc.

Until today.

I don't claim to be in the know and what I'm about to write will, no doubt, be shot down in flames; I put it out there for what it is..........

I bumped into someone this afternoon who is in the know at Reading, and we had a brief chat about life, and of course, Reading FC.

The main points of the RFC conversation were as follows:

*The loanees were simply mercenaries who had no heart for RFC and frankly, couldn't give a toss, and as such were impossible to effectively manage.

*As soon as the team lost to Palace in the FA Cup QF, mentally they ended their season.

*The Thai's have run the football side their way for the last 2 Years; 3 good, experienced Managers (Adkins, Clarke and McDermott) have all struggled to produce success as a direct result of the Thai's methods, and this Summer will see if they will change and accept a different way of doing it. (I assumed by that - although I didn't ask to clarify this point - that the Thai's were the ones who not only that sanctioned the policy of having an influx of big money loanees, but were the ones that actively demanded it).

*McDermott plans to stay and do the job as best as he can in the circumstances afforded to him, has the best interests of RFC at heart and if anyone can turn things around at the club, then it will be him.

*The team need 7 or 8 new players.

*4 or 5 are going to be free transfers.

*All new players will be judged not just on ability, but on knowing the division, fitting into the ethos of Reading FC that needs to be re-established, and to be hungry and with something to prove.

*Do not expect major names being signed for big money.

I told the guy that I had become so disillusioned I had stopped going to games, and he said he can understand why someone would do that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is all.

Hadn't seen this until now, although I did assume a lot of it already. Thanks for sharing. I have also become so disillusioned that I've stopped going to games.

In my view, we need to bring in two or three proven Championship level players, a couple of experienced former Premier League players who are looking to get back there, even if its for the last time. And then three or four proven quality players from League One/Two with the potential to do it at a higher level and get better.

All these types of players should have the hunger we need, and if they're not on loan they will be fully commited to the club.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 14 May 2016 01:09

Never happen. A couple of frees and a couple of cheap punts.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 May 2016 17:24

Maneki Neko Never happen. A couple of frees and a couple of cheap punts.

Outside of the numbers, the two cases are not incompatible.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 14 May 2016 17:27

In fact, it almost perfectly describes Leitgerwood, Gorkss, Roberts, Le Fondre

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 15 May 2016 16:38

Top Flight Yeah, we probably don't need to worry about the drop. We still have plenty of good players. Promotion might actually be a serious possibility. We may only be a good striker and winger away from that. Although saying it and being able to land a good striker are two different things.

Make your mind up, 10 mins ago you were happy if we survived relegation ! Which is it. Replacing HRK will be key, be interesting to see if they go in for anyone or just give TF and extended run in the side ..

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 16 May 2016 09:29

stealthpapes
Maneki Neko Never happen. A couple of frees and a couple of cheap punts.

Outside of the numbers, the two cases are not incompatible.

A. im happy with cheap punts, frees and kids
B. it was the numbers I was questioning.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 16 May 2016 10:13

Longhorn1970
Top Flight Yeah, we probably don't need to worry about the drop. We still have plenty of good players. Promotion might actually be a serious possibility. We may only be a good striker and winger away from that. Although saying it and being able to land a good striker are two different things.

Make your mind up, 10 mins ago you were happy if we survived relegation ! Which is it. Replacing HRK will be key, be interesting to see if they go in for anyone or just give TF and extended run in the side ..

I am happy if we don't go down. That is enough to make me happy next season. At the same time, I don't think we will need to worry about the drop. Brian is a good manager and we have a half decent core which he can work with. I am not expecting anything more than mid table obscurity next season, which is basically survival. I'll be delighted though if the club can do more than that. I'd be over the moon.

I'm just going to enjoy my football for what it is next season, without any difficult to achieve expectations. I'm confident over a three year period Brian will have us back in the top flight. I just don't expect to see it happen next season. Next year, for me, is the beginning of his building process and I will be patient and understand that. If you want to get upset when we don't win at home to Blackburn next year, that's up to you. As long as we're safe in the division, I'll be satisfied.

George_

by George_ » 16 May 2016 10:27

Top Flight
Longhorn1970

I am happy if we don't go down. That is enough to make me happy next season. At the same time, I don't think we will need to worry about the drop. Brian is a good manager and we have a half decent core which he can work with. I am not expecting anything more than mid table obscurity next season, which is basically survival. I'll be delighted though if the club can do more than that. I'd be over the moon.

I'm just going to enjoy my football for what it is next season, without any difficult to achieve expectations. I'm confident over a three year period Brian will have us back in the top flight. I just don't expect to see it happen next season. Next year, for me, is the beginning of his building process and I will be patient and understand that. If you want to get upset when we don't win at home to Blackburn next year, that's up to you. As long as we're safe in the division, I'll be satisfied.

Massively this. I'd happily take between 8th-12 for next season if it gives time for academy players to develop & given there will be a lot of changes in the summer i feel a season around mid table would put us in good shape for the following season for when we could challenge for promotion again. Patience is needed for Brian to bring in the right players & for the academy players who will be brought up to senior level. Brian is the right man to oversee this period imo.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 16 May 2016 11:15

Longhorn1970

If I get a run in the side, you can forget about survival. McDermott is a good manager. He wouldn't pick me. I agree though, HRK was more important than we realise.

288 posts