Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Burnley (h)

by Royal_jimmy » 15 Apr 2023 22:53

Haha I want my team to be playing at the highest possible level

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Apr 2023 23:10

I want my team to be competative and enjoyable to watch.

Even in the 2006/07 season, I remember watching our home game against Fulham and thinking "If this is our future, it's going to be a bit fcuking dull".

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Apr 2023 07:13

From Despair To Where? I want my team to be competative and enjoyable to watch.

Even in the 2006/07 season, I remember watching our home game against Fulham and thinking "If this is our future, it's going to be a bit fcuking dull".

Really … we finished eighth in the top division that year and SSC was nominated for manager of the year

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 Apr 2023 07:43

Franchise FC
From Despair To Where? I want my team to be competative and enjoyable to watch.

Really … we finished eighth in the top division that year and SSC was nominated for manager of the year

Yes, really. It was obvious we weren't going to finish 8th every season and the last 4 or 5 home games that season were really tense, dour games where we didn't create a whole lot (Portsmouth, Fulham, Newcastle, Watford). I had a very real sense of the honeymoon being over.

I went to 30 games that season and even the last few away games, barring Blackburn on the last day, ; Spurs, Charlton, even the 3-1 win at Bolton where we were very poor for 80 minutes, we were weren't great.

The euphoria of 106 and being there for the first time carried us through the first 2 thirds of the season. I'll go as far as saying that season peaked in the fog at Manchester City at the start of February and it was a bit of a slog from there on in.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 16 Apr 2023 09:46

Blackbag Loved listening to his interview after, is it to early to say give him the job permanently? What have we got to lose ( I did originally want Mick McCarthy)

Why?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Apr 2023 09:57

Snowflake Royal
Millsy Can anyone who had the guts to watch all of it tell me what, if anything other than luck, was different about this defence?

Is it that we had a more packed midfield and were using attack as our form of defence? Same personnel. What changed?

It was more organised, self-confident and proactive.

It was shielded from midfield better and had an outlet with Azeez and Kelvin E.

Knobbling their very good left winger early on and then the right one late on helped a lot.

Oh and we pressed much much higher from the front. Mostly as a unit. And because we had some pace that didn't hurt us as much as it would have with three slow CBs and high WBs.

And to think many of us had been saying to try 4 at the back and utilise a bit more of the youth to give the options you don't have through injury. Really shows how utterly clueless (think blinkered might actually be a better word) Ince was. Based on his recent comments Noel Hunt and Eddie Niedzwiecki must be better than Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp combined! Wonder if there is chant in there somewhere?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 16 Apr 2023 10:55

That could be a very important point and I disagree with Sutekh in that walking away from the game spirits were high almost as if we had won the game.

On the pitch I thought the back 4 and keeper played well as did Lumley-they had to play well because our midfield was almost non-existent, reflected in the stats showing that they had 75% possession.
I felt that Burnley , with all their changes, were on their holidays and didn't care a toss about the 106 being happy just to pass the ball around as if it were a pre-season friendly in the sun.
For all the effort we still didn't have a shot on target.

I felt sorry for our young lad up front-he looked lost but at least did challenge for the ball as did Joao who worked harder than we normally see.
Azeez is greedy and Abrefa in his brief appearance just strolled around nonchalantly without any great intent-I am still uncertain about both of these for the future which is in discord with the majority on here who tend to rate them both
In fairness Abrefa hasn't played enough to show us what he can really do.

The next two games are against two sides looking at possible promotion so we can expect much more aggression and I would be pleased with one point from those games although a few more would take the pressure off for the must win game v Wigan.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2023 11:14

Royal_jimmy Ian will be gutted he'd rather see us draw to Fleetwood than Burnley

You're such a child :lol:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2023 11:20

South Coast Royal That could be a very important point and I disagree with Sutekh in that walking away from the game spirits were high almost as if we had won the game.

On the pitch I thought the back 4 and keeper played well as did Lumley-they had to play well because our midfield was almost non-existent, reflected in the stats showing that they had 75% possession.
I felt that Burnley , with all their changes, were on their holidays and didn't care a toss about the 106 being happy just to pass the ball around as if it were a pre-season friendly in the sun.
For all the effort we still didn't have a shot on target.

I felt sorry for our young lad up front-he looked lost but at least did challenge for the ball as did Joao who worked harder than we normally see.
Azeez is greedy and Abrefa in his brief appearance just strolled around nonchalantly without any great intent-I am still uncertain about both of these for the future which is in discord with the majority on here who tend to rate them both
In fairness Abrefa hasn't played enough to show us what he can really do.

The next two games are against two sides looking at possible promotion so we can expect much more aggression and I would be pleased with one point from those games although a few more would take the pressure off for the must win game v Wigan.

Burnley were definitely up for it. Benson was trying to roast our LB all game, but was defended against exceptionally well. Teller was also a real threat til his injury.

And I can assure you Kompany was not there for a stroll. He was in the 4th official's ear about Lumley timewasting constantly.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Apr 2023 17:39

Yeah there’s no way they wouldn’t have had an eye on the record. More likely the changes they made were because they thoroughly underestimated how good our team can be when managed less awfully.

And I say less awfully so we just keep grounded. A new manager bounce is great and all that and might well keep us up but from some reports above it’s not like we had a bunch of shots on target.

151 posts