The Weakest Link costs us again

222 posts
Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Jan 2007 15:19

SpaceCruiser
Royal Rother I am so important and therefore anything I say is 100% correct and spot on.

Does everybody really expect 100% perfect performances from all of the players? The players are only human and can only be expected to perform to the best of their ability. And it's the team's first ever season in the Premiership, so to have achieved as much as we have so far that we must be exceeding everybody's expectations.

By the way, I read something in the fans forum notes about the ball in the Premiership being different from that in the championship and Nick Shorey commented that the ball is a nightmare for keepers. So maybe that's a factor in Hahnemann having problems with his decision making and handling of the ball.

That doesn't excuse him coming for a cross that he was never gonna get against Johnson and leaving him with an empty net to head the ball into.

It happened before as well with Anichebe, cross comes in, Hahnmann thinks he can get there but he can't, Anichebe has an empty goal to head towards...... Good job Sonks and Ingi got on the line to save us that time.

The ball excuses some of Hahnmanns poor handling this season, but it doesn't excuse poor judgement in coming for a cross when he should have stayed on his goal line. Marcus needs to improve his judgement. I don't know how he can do that though. Is judgement and decision making something that can be improved?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Jan 2007 15:21

Yes, Hahnemann was at fault for that goal. However, I am talking about his season in general.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2007 15:24

readingbedding
SpaceCruiser
Royal Rother I am so important and therefore anything I say is 100% correct and spot on.

Does everybody really expect 100% perfect performances from all of the players? The players are only human and can only be expected to perform to the best of their ability. And it's the team's first ever season in the Premiership, so to have achieved as much as we have so far that we must be exceeding everybody's expectations.

By the way, I read something in the fans forum notes about the ball in the Premiership being different from that in the championship and Nick Shorey commented that the ball is a nightmare for keepers. So maybe that's a factor in Hahnemann having problems with his decision making and handling of the ball.

No, silly.

We Reading fans now expect NO mistakes and NO errors.

Football should be played by Robots, not humans, therefore mistakes and errors should be cancelled out.

We still promise however, to go over-the-top in our praise when they win or overly critical if the team lose or draw.

Amen.

I'm assuming your tounge is wedged firmly in cheek there.

Of course people can accept that mistakes can and will be made, but when similar errors seem to be occuring on a regular basis is not natural to query as to why and also why nothing appears to be happening to remedy the problem?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 15 Jan 2007 15:26

Arch Didn't we have this discussion two years ago? He seemed to be losing it then, poor distribution, elementary errors, and then last year he came back strong.

He had nothing to do last season!

alad
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: The footballing equivalent of a HarLOLem GLOLobetrotter..

by alad » 15 Jan 2007 15:29

Marcus has been found out at this level. A keeper needs to inspire confidence in his defence and Marcus is incapable of doing that.

He will cost Reading plenty more points this season.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Jan 2007 15:30

If Marcus had stayed on his line he'd have been critizised.

He'd have been called indecisive. :roll:

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 15 Jan 2007 15:32

He would have just caught it, there was no way on Earth that AJ would have been able to power a header downwards and into a corner from the way the ball was in the air. He was jumping with UDC as well, who is taller than him. It was a poor misjudgement and it cost us

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Jan 2007 15:35

SpaceCruiser Yes, Hahnemann was at fault for that goal. However, I am talking about his season in general.

Why do these threads about Hahnemanns ability in goal keep resurfacing then?

These threads doubting Hahnemann have generally kept rising to the surface every now and then throughout the season in general.

There must be a problem!

And to be honest, when these threads first came up, I tended to side with you Spacey....... I thought that they were one off errors, but they seem to keep happening constantly and he keeps getting scrutinised! There must be something in this!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Jan 2007 15:39

Gordons Cumming If Marcus had stayed on his line he'd have been critizised.

He'd have been called indecisive. :roll:

No he wouldn't because he would have made the decision to stay on his line. Its indecisive when a keeper starts to come and then back tracks.

Its bad judgement when a keeper comes and gets there second.......

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 15 Jan 2007 15:40

Is our situation really that desperate that we need to blame the keeper every time he makes a mistake? Despite them, we're doing well. And I'd agree that we need a new keeper to come in at the end of the season (now is the wrong time) to provide some competition for the keeper shirt.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2007 15:42

SpaceCruiser Is our situation really that desperate that we need to blame the keeper every time he makes a mistake? Despite them, we're doing well. And I'd agree that we need a new keeper to come in at the end of the season (now is the wrong time) to provide some competition for the keeper shirt.

Wrong attitude IMHO.

Why is now the wrong time? It's never the wrong time to improve and if getting another keeper in now brings an improvement in the team either by helping raise Hahnemann's performances or by replacing him then it should be done.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Jan 2007 15:43

As regards the Anichebe header i think Marcus gets something on the ball because it only trickled towards the line. Even if he didn't then he put the lad off sufficiently to not get a proper header in. If he'd headed it properly Sonko and Ivar would not have had time to clear it.

Agree in general though that his decision making and command of his area leave an awful lot to be desired.

Thought the Chelsea game summed him up really, in the space of 5 mins he'd made a superb stop from a point blank Drogba header but then flapped at a ball that was inside the 6 yard box for their 1st goal.

Marcus is a decent goalkeeper and has served us well but if he can't make the necessary improvements that a lot of his colleagues have made in this Division then it's common sense to suggest that we will be looking to for someone who can.
Last edited by Vision on 15 Jan 2007 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Jan 2007 15:43

Top Flight
Why do these threads about Hahnemanns ability in goal keep resurfacing then?

!

...........because too many on here no nothing about football. :shock: :roll:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 15 Jan 2007 15:46

SpaceCruiser Is our situation really that desperate that we need to blame the keeper every time he makes a mistake? Despite them, we're doing well. And I'd agree that we need a new keeper to come in at the end of the season (now is the wrong time) to provide some competition for the keeper shirt.

It's the fact that he's making fundamentally the same mistake consistently that is the problem. No-one's trying to hang him out to dry but surely you can see that if he continues the way he's going then we will have to replace him because the defence will have lost all confidence in him .

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Jan 2007 15:48

Spacey I agree with you, in an earlier post on this thread I did say the following:

Right now Marcus is the best keeper at the club. But if we can improve his position then we should.... If we wanna improve our 11 and get higher up the table then Hahnmann is a weak link in the team that needs to be improved upon.

But finding a better keeper will be very difficult because Hahnmann actually is already one of the better keepers in the English game. If we don't improve on that position it will be because Coppell and Hammond have been unable to identify a better solution that ticks the 4 boxes that Coppell always talks about when evaluating transfer possibilities.

So in that case we need to back Hahnmann to the hilt, support him out on the park and hopfully our coaches will be able to help him identify his weak areas and improve his game.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Jan 2007 15:51

Vision we will have to replace him because the defence will have lost all confidence in him .

Strange..............you usually make sense. :shock:

Have you spoken to the others then? Murty, Ingar, Shorey and Sonko?

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Jan 2007 15:53

Space Cruiser is the ultimate Internet forum key board warrior......

I actually think that Spacey generally agrees with everyone but he gets into so many little rows and scuffles online because he can never be assed to write a long post to fully express his complete views. He just drops a line in here, a paragraph in there, massively boosting his post count but not fully expressing his complete range of opinions on an issue.

But when you probe the lad he always seems to have his head screwed on and a sensible view. He just can't be assed to express it in one post. It takes about 10,000 posts to reach agreement and common ground with the Space Cruiser.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 15 Jan 2007 15:55

Gordons Cumming
Vision we will have to replace him because the defence will have lost all confidence in him .

So whats your opinon then Cumming?

Is our goalkeeper position an area that needs to be improved upon during the next two transfer windows. As in now in Jan if possible or in the Summer, if again possible?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Jan 2007 15:56

Top Flight Space Cruiser.............................

But when you probe the lad he always seems to have his head screwed on and a sensible view.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Jan 2007 15:57

Top Flight
Gordons Cumming

So whats your opinon then Cumming?

Is our goalkeeper position an area that needs to be improved upon during the next two transfer windows. As in now in Jan if possible or in the Summer, if again possible?

Marcus is here to stay for the forseeable future with the possibility of someone else to push for his place.

The guys a legend.

OK?

I await Vision's response. :wink:

222 posts