The Warnock post match moan thread

239 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Jan 2007 08:29

Royal Rother DBR, all charges against Warnock were dropped IIRC. The perpetrators of the nutty challenges were Santos and Suffo. Warnock was as good as his word in the aftermath in that Santos never played for the club again and Suffo was immediately transfer listed.

Keith Curle did not get sent off so I'm afraid that was not exactly what happened at all.

As usual the judge and jury syndrome when Warnock's in town falls over at the first hurdle.

The only reason all charges were dropped (they weren't incidentally) was 'a lack of independent evidence'. There have been plenty of criminal cases too where people have got off on that basis and I'm sure they weren't all innocent.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jan 2007 09:11

From Despair To Where? Hardly overwhelming proof of innocence.

And absolutely no proof of guilt.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 22 Jan 2007 09:25

Both Downes and Warnock will rightly face disiplinary action from the FA and therefore touchline bans.

Warnock's excuuse that he was raising his foot trying to get a message to the ref concerning Sidwell's challenge a few minutes earlier possibly may be true but of all the stupid inopportune moments to do it......

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 22 Jan 2007 09:29

what a oxf*rd

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 22 Jan 2007 09:36

Wally claims he clearly heard Colin say "Do Him" as he stamped his foot down in a provocative style. Colin would argue even "do him" was aimed at the ref for some apparent earlier tackles made by Sid and/or Hunty.
Im sure with hindsight Wally should have taken a leaf out of Sir Steves zen like book at the same time I can understand Wallys fury if he was convinced Colin was advocating violence on Reading players.
My guess is the FA will come down pretty hard on both clubs over this incident but Gillespie has to take the main flack with his outrageous assault on the wee man.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 22 Jan 2007 09:41

Pretty hard, maybe, but a lot harder for Warnock - he has "previous" and a suspended sentence hanging over him.

And I think losing WD from the bench for a few games won't be a major disaster - Sheff Utd will be far worse off than we will for this.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jan 2007 09:46

I think the club should fine Downes.

He was in the wrong and indiscipline at any level of this now great club should not be tolerated. You cannot have one rule for the players and another for their "bosses" as somewhere down the line that will create a problem.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 22 Jan 2007 11:25

Royal Rother I think the club should fine Downes.

He was in the wrong and indiscipline at any level of this now great club should not be tolerated. You cannot have one rule for the players and another for their "bosses" as somewhere down the line that will create a problem.

Agreed he was wrong. Just because you see what looks like the opposition management saying to their players to go and do some damage (and you know first hand there is a history of them doing this) to your own players it's still not right that he went into the Sheff Utd area. It should be left for the referee to take this action.

I think Reading will await the outcome of the FA hearing and then decide what action to take. I think Colin will get a one match ban (on top of his four match ban currently suspended) and so will Downes. I think Reading will agree this is an appropriate action to take and will not take any further action.

Message to Colin -->

What if I told you Sheff Utd only scored one goal? Yes, gestures can sometimes be misunderstood and even if Colin was gesturing about an incident from 10 minutes before it was not the smartest thing to do at the time.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 22 Jan 2007 11:51

I think Coppell is right to leave it to the authorities. They are bound to take action against Wally and rightly so. You cannot walk into the other technical area and push someone.

There's little point in Coppell taking any action if the FA are going to do it for him anyway. I wouldn't necessarily expect Warnock to do anything about Gillespie's challenge, as he got sent off. There may well be a mandatory fine, but nothing more.

It was all handbags at dawn.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 22 Jan 2007 11:52

Royal Rother Indeed, and thank you. Hmm, I seem to recall we were in the minority in the Ronaldo bruhaha as well. Why is neutral good sense so hard for football supporters to find in the wake of a controversy?

Er, maybe it's what being a football fan is all about, something a one cell brain like yours finds it so hard to comprehend. Perhaps you should take up needlework or something less taxing, Mr Royal "I'm not quite intelligent now" Rother.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jan 2007 12:03

Ah, so you have to leave your brain behind when you go to a football match do you? I see. What a feeble-minded little twat you are.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 22 Jan 2007 12:06

You still don't seem to have grasped the concept of supporting a team. You're still essentially a moron.

philM

by philM » 22 Jan 2007 12:11

Right on the left hand side of the screen on the MOTD footage you can see Warnock throughout the Hunt/Gillespie clash.

He watches Gillespie going up to Hunt and sticking his elbow in Hunt's face. He immediately looks away, glances back to see Hunt on the ground and then looks away up the touchline, almost whistling innocently.

To me it looks like Warnock was expecting it to happen, note how he tracks Gillespie up until the incident, looks away, checks quickly and sees Hunt is down and then looks away again. He was a part of that, no doubt.

a royal called morty

by a royal called morty » 22 Jan 2007 12:12

All i have to say is that :evil: Warnock :evil: is a tw@t, and i hate him

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jan 2007 12:28

philM Right on the left hand side of the screen on the MOTD footage you can see Warnock throughout the Hunt/Gillespie clash.

He watches Gillespie going up to Hunt and sticking his elbow in Hunt's face. He immediately looks away, glances back to see Hunt on the ground and then looks away up the touchline, almost whistling innocently.

To me it looks like Warnock was expecting it to happen, note how he tracks Gillespie up until the incident, looks away, checks quickly and sees Hunt is down and then looks away again. He was a part of that, no doubt.

Yes of course he was. You complete and utter doughnut, just think about it for a moment; why the hell would he send a player on to get sent off without kicking a ball? What would he achieve from that?

Is this what being a football supporter is all about Spacey? :lol:

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 22 Jan 2007 12:31

Neil Warnock has accused Reading coach Wally Downes of "trying to save his own skin" as accusations fired back and forth after Saturday’s touchline dust-up at the Madejski Stadium.

Downes clashed with Sheffield United boss Warnock when sub Keith Gillespie was sent off for elbowing Reading’s Stephen Hunt.

Warnock was seen making stamping gestures, which he claimed were indicating to referee Mark Halsey the seriousness of an earlier foul by Reading’s Steve Sidwell.

But Reading believed Warnock’s action was inflammatory.

The United manager had sarcastically clapped Hunt and Downes said: "I clearly heard him say several times: 'Do him'. One of our players also clearly heard him say the same to his player Nick Montgomery.

"I was so angry I felt like strangling him, but by the time I got into his area I just wanted to tell him that what he was saying was a disgrace."

Warnock responded: "It’s utter rubbish. I think he’s just picking up on it to save his own skin. Yes, I raised my foot but only because of Sidwell’s tackle.

"Downes was getting het up all afternoon. Why there was a young fourth official (Kevin Friend) on duty I’ll never know. Downes was having a go at him all match.

"I was sent off for adopting an aggressive attitude, although I don’t know how anyone can say that because all I did was raise my foot.

Halsey dismissed Warnock and Downes.

Reading boss Steve Coppell said: "It looked an aggressive gesture by Neil. I think it was wrong at that particular time.

"The insinuation was to raise the aggression level in what was at that stage a game that looked to have been played 100 per cent in the right way.

"I don’t want my players being kicked. I am very happy to play football against anyone but it looked as there was a response required to that gesture. I thought it was the wrong thing to do. I will not be taking any action against Wally Downes, 100 per cent no action."

Warnock confirmed he will appeal against the sending off but faces a suspended four-match ban dating from his fall-out with former Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell last season.

That could be nothing compared to what awaits Gillespie, who got himself sent off by lashing out even before play had restarted when they were jostling for position after the United winger had just come on.

He then compounded his offence by striking Hunt after being red-carded.

There was no lasting damage to Hunt who picked himself up to score the home side’s third after Shane Long had bagged his first Premiership goal and Ulises de la Cruz opened his account for Reading with the goal of the game to ensure Christian Nade’s late strike was only a consolation.

While Reading remain eighth following Everton’s win, United are only four points above the drop zone, and that is sure to be causing Warnock far more concern than the outcome of any disciplinary hearing

Daily Mail...

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Jan 2007 12:32

SpaceCruiser You still don't seem to have grasped the concept of supporting a team. You're still essentially a moron.

Does that concept include forgetting all common sense, all rational thought processes, all integrity, and talking one-eyed, biased bollocks with a load of similarly dumb-arsed individuals?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 22 Jan 2007 12:33

Royal Rother some low brow comment.....

You seem to think that everybody can be neutral at a game. Not everybody is so pompous as you to think that everybody should have the same viewpoint as you.

Wally was obviously wrong to approach Colin, but you seem to think that Colin has done nothing wrong. :roll:

philM

by philM » 22 Jan 2007 12:34

Royal Rother
philM Right on the left hand side of the screen on the MOTD footage you can see Warnock throughout the Hunt/Gillespie clash.

Yes of course he was. You complete and utter doughnut, just think about it for a moment; why the hell would he send a player on to get sent off without kicking a ball? What would he achieve from that?

Is this what being a football supporter is all about Spacey? :lol:

Duh! I never thought he did want Gillespie sent off... Did I say that?

You complete and utter fairycake.

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 22 Jan 2007 12:38

From the BBC website:

Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock faces a 10-match touchline ban after being sent to the stands in Saturday's fiery match against Reading. (Daily Mirror)

Shame :wink:

239 posts