RFC claims to fame

285 posts
PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

by PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL » 26 Oct 2007 01:14

2 world wars, 1 world cup When we were 1-0 down at home against McGhee's Wolves with minutes to go and the Southbank was dead, as a chantstarter I singlehandedly screamed the chant "F*ck off Mark McGhee" from the depth of my soul amongst a silent Southbank... very quickly the rest of the Southbank joined in, lifted the team...

...and the rest is history. :D :D :D

if genuine then god bless great chant :lol:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 26 Oct 2007 09:47

gn1982 i found space to fit in extra seats that actually increased the stadium capacity (those lovely seats fixed ot metal platforms in the top corners of the nw and sw stands are my idea!)

So, you're the reason why I bought an ST at the back of the East Stand all those years ago, only to find that now I have a wakner sat behind me who tells me to sit down every five minutes :x

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Oct 2007 10:40

I was standing at the front of the South Bank when the team was warming up in 96/96, when JQ came over to retrive a ball. A bloke standing behind me shouted out loudy "Why don't you oxf*rd orfff, Quinn?" and JQ rounded on me, say "What did you say to me?"

When I convinced him it was a clear case of mistaken identity he apologised to me - although I did support the sentiments I was too much of a coward at the time to say so.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Oct 2007 11:57

:shock: There was nothing wrong with Quinny. How rude!

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 26 Oct 2007 12:02

Royal Lady :shock: There was nothing wrong with Quinny. How rude!

Nothing Archie Lovell's right fist didn't sort out ! Or was it Scott Taylor ???

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 26 Oct 2007 12:27

I think this has to be the best thread in HNA history, nay! the history of the Internet. Some are so useless and pathetic I have not stopped laughing since the first posts. Long may it continue.
My claim to fame is I once went to a game, and I caught a bus home after the game, can anyone beat that in terms of uselessness?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 26 Oct 2007 14:48

Sir Rodney Effing I think this has to be the best thread in HNA history, nay! the history of the Internet. Some are so useless and pathetic I have not stopped laughing since the first posts. Long may it continue.
My claim to fame is I once went to a game, and I caught a bus home after the game, can anyone beat that in terms of uselessness?

No-one can beat you that's for sure. :wink:

Sir Rodney Effing

by Sir Rodney Effing » 26 Oct 2007 15:08

Gordons Cumming
Sir Rodney Effing I think this has to be the best thread in HNA history, nay! the history of the Internet. Some are so useless and pathetic I have not stopped laughing since the first posts. Long may it continue.

No-one can beat you that's for sure. :wink:

Fame at last :wink:

M0J0

by M0J0 » 26 Oct 2007 16:31

paultheroyal Saw Dean Horrix a few hours before that car crash (Tadley man).

Went out with Ian Branfoot's daughter.

Spent a day with Reading FC when seeing the above.

Used to live a few yards from Trevor Senior when in Tadley.

One of the few fans to get across the bridge before they closed it - Swansea vs Reading - Uwe Hartenberger scored!! Out of interest - anyone else go to that game. It was a classic - never forget the inflatable sheep.

As nobody else has admited being at the UWE game i will, i was there and as i recall didnt a welsh steward grab the inflatable sheep and keep it
"for his own amusement i think." after it had finished up on the roof of the goal. the same goal that uwe scored his goal in from a rather acute angle.

As for claim to fame I have too many to put on here just a couple like---
RAY REAVES brother was a milkman in Wokingham and i was his little lad who helps (back in the 50s) and i used to sell scratch cards to SHAKA and he asked me how the fans would feel about him going to Newcastle.( not in the 50s)

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 26 Oct 2007 17:16

PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL
2 world wars, 1 world cup When we were 1-0 down at home against McGhee's Wolves with minutes to go and the Southbank was dead, as a chantstarter I singlehandedly screamed the chant "F*ck off Mark McGhee" from the depth of my soul amongst a silent Southbank... very quickly the rest of the Southbank joined in, lifted the team...

Doubt very much its genuine seeing as it was being chanted before the f*t scottish b*stard came out prior to kick off. IIRC he didnt come out at all during the warm up.

bottom left hand corner

by bottom left hand corner » 26 Oct 2007 19:14

Im on the championship winning DVD :lol: with my mum and dad (filling the screen)

robb the royal

by robb the royal » 26 Oct 2007 19:36

on the way back from the wigan play-off game (a few seasons ago now!)
we stopped off at a service station and in walked john Madejski (who got a massive round of applause from all the reading fans in the service station)
I promptly went for a wee next to him :D

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 26 Oct 2007 19:44

M0J0

One of the few fans to get across the bridge before they closed it - Swansea vs Reading - Uwe Hartenberger scored!! Out of interest - anyone else go to that game. It was a classic - never forget the inflatable sheep.

As nobody else has admited being at the UWE game i will, i was there and as i recall didnt a welsh steward grab the inflatable sheep and keep it
"for his own amusement i think." after it had finished up on the roof of the goal. the same goal that uwe scored his goal in from a rather acute angle.

RAY REAVES brother was a milkman in Wokingham and i was his little lad who helps (back in the 50s) and i used to sell scratch cards to SHAKA and he asked me how the fans would feel about him going to Newcastle.( not in the 50s)

Great post - anyone who managed to get to that game can call themselves a true supporter. Chucking it down with rain. Must of been one of the least attended matches for an away following.

Yes - you recall the sheep incident very well. Great goal by Uwe.

I have to say that was the most i felt threatened coming out after that game - walking towards the swansea fans - little or no police presence it was very intimidating.

Pool and Darts

by Pool and Darts » 26 Oct 2007 19:46

Stooper
Pool and Darts in walk Barry Hunter and Jim McIntyre (who was absolutely w**kered) and sat on the table right next to me!!

I don't mean to belittle anything, but I doubt this one very much.

They absolutely hated each other as they did differing religious views, and regularly had punch ups.

I remember Jimmy Mac once playing with stitches above his where Hunter had nutted him.

It's true - honest!

There were two other blokes with them, who were obviously just mates, one of them quite a bit older than them. The old geezer just spent most of the time just trying to calm Jim Mac down. He was f**king raging. Stereotypical angry jock. Maybe it was that night they started hating each other!

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Oct 2007 17:09

One Beer is never enough.
PREMIERSHIP_ROYAL

Doubt very much its genuine seeing as it was being chanted before the f*t scottish b*stard came out prior to kick off. IIRC he didnt come out at all during the warm up.

Yes it is 100% genuine but I'm not saying I invented the chant!

It was being sung before the game by whoever who made it up.

All I'm saying is when we let the goal in and all was dead silent, I'm the one who revived the Southbank *using* that chant. I can't alas take credit for inventing the chant. Have revived the Southbank and East stand many times since, and God knows the East stand takes a lot of reviving!

Hence my other claims to 'fame', inventing the chants "Can you hear East stand sing?" "East stand, give us a song" But none of these modifications come close to the McGhee chant alas.

M0J0

by M0J0 » 27 Oct 2007 18:57

paultheroyal
M0J0

Great post - anyone who managed to get to that game can call themselves a true supporter. Chucking it down with rain. Must of been one of the least attended matches for an away following.

Yes - you recall the sheep incident very well. Great goal by Uwe.

I have to say that was the most i felt threatened coming out after that game - walking towards the swansea fans - little or no police presence it was very intimidating.

Intimidated by the Swansea fans... surely not.......such nice friendly fans...didn't they even help to remove the fencing between the town end and the south bank......
back to that away game I seem to recall the fans coach arrived some time after half time......anyone on that coach ...can you confirm....and even got charged full price for about a quarter of the game i believe.
however the thing that stands out in my rapidly fading memory is that after the game in which UWE played for the first time for us a couple of games later at EP the shout went up........... "bring on the german" .......
quite an amusing chant i thought....wonder who started that one???
any idea "2ww1wc"

that is tongue in cheek so please don't take offence....I knew what you meant in your post and i joined in after you started it in fact i join in every time anybody starts it, it could become our club chant like pompeys "play up" or liverpools "you'll never walk alone"

hehe....feeling chirpy...almost as if we just beat Newcastle..
oh we have. :D :D

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 27 Oct 2007 19:13

1. Charlie Hurley said hello to me and my mates as we waited outside the ground (hours before the gates opened it seemed!) before the 4th Round cup tie against Arsenal in 72.

2. I was at school with Wayne oxf*rd.

3. ....er, that's it

ReadingFlan

by ReadingFlan » 27 Oct 2007 19:13

I f@cked a bird who lived in Norfolk Road x

ReadingFlan

by ReadingFlan » 27 Oct 2007 19:19

Did I mention it was in her house so technically I had sex at the home of Elm Park. I am a legend x

chrispa

by chrispa » 27 Oct 2007 21:16

I am the Grim Reaper who got on the pitch and had the photo taken with the players and trophy when we won the Championship...

And the proof...

285 posts