Back from the game

147 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the game

by Ian Royal » 25 Feb 2008 22:46

Right, I'm going to get slated for this I'm sure, but here are my feelings following the game. I did try to read the thread but after three posts couldn't bear it.

Thought we played fairly well for large parts of the game with a couple of major problems.

1) Final Third, we had not cutting edge at all and no penetration.
2) Defence, plenty of comedy, plenty of ball watching, plenty of communication problems. Though this was only in spurts, we did hold out pretty well in general against a very dangerous attack. It was just the lapses were too frequent and really really terrible.

By Player:
Marcus:- Good game, made some really good saves and kept us right in it up until the second goal. Had little chance with either from what I saw, both stupid defensive errors. Kicking was very poor at times, but I think we need to realise even the best keeper in the world is going to pelt some into touch when aiming for the wingers. At least 1 of the 3 or 4 I remember was under pressure as well so you can't complaint.
Murty: got forward well, mostly solid at the back. His acceleration is appalling and he has a poor turning circle though.
Shorey: Again got forward fairly well, defended pretty well on the whole, scored, but his set piece delivery was poor a lot of the time.
Cisse: Ok, some good, some terrible. Horay for having another Sonko.
Sonko: Some good, plenty of Sonkoesque cock ups and stupidity though. At least he didn't get sent off, hmm.
Oster:- I'm coming round to the he's shit view. He flattered to deceive all game, has the skill but makes the wrong decisions to often and has a Brookeresque fear of attacking the ball, box or taking on a player.
Hunt:- Bless he tries hard but he's back to his bumbling not really pulling it off phase. Not a great crosser, which with Oster on the other flank means no good balls getting into the box.
Matejovski:- Bit anonamous, showed flashes of class but could do with driving forward more and actually having a shot. A pair of inform strikers might help him
Harper:- put himself about well and broke up a lot of Villa play, you know you'll get a solid performance from Harper, but like Marek needs to have a shot sometimes. If the other team know we won't shoot from outside the box it makes their job a whole lot easier.
Kitson:- Lots of really nice hold up and spread play. Often his flicks didn't come off but in a confident team in form he'd be a terror. Unfortunately doesn't have the pace to create an attack and then get on the end of it.
Doyle:- Lost a yard of pace, lots of effort, no sign of creating anything or if he could scoring. Time to be replaced by Lita
Kebe:- looks like a foal, keen and the one player willing to drive and have a go, but really lacking in actual quality right now.
Long:- Did he actually have any effect?
Ingimarsson:- Bizarre subsitution IMO, looked the same old Ivar, quality, but not quite tall, strong, or quick enough to make a big enough difference.

IMO we dominated Villa for large parts of the first half and gave them a good game of it in patches of the 2nd. I feel we have the quality needed to start winning games and pull away from the drop. I just don't see any players or combinations of players able to take the game by the scruff of the neck and make a big enough difference to kick start everyone else.

Thats the major problem. And it is bloody huge.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 26 Feb 2008 00:44

Ian Royal Right, I'm going to get slated for this I'm sure, but here are my feelings following the game. I did try to read the thread but after three posts couldn't bear it.

Thought we played fairly well for large parts of the game with a couple of major problems.

1) Final Third, we had not cutting edge at all and no penetration.
2) Defence, plenty of comedy, plenty of ball watching, plenty of communication problems. Though this was only in spurts, we did hold out pretty well in general against a very dangerous attack. It was just the lapses were too frequent and really really terrible.

By Player:
Marcus:- Good game, made some really good saves and kept us right in it up until the second goal. Had little chance with either from what I saw, both stupid defensive errors. Kicking was very poor at times, but I think we need to realise even the best keeper in the world is going to pelt some into touch when aiming for the wingers. At least 1 of the 3 or 4 I remember was under pressure as well so you can't complaint.
Murty: got forward well, mostly solid at the back. His acceleration is appalling and he has a poor turning circle though.
Shorey: Again got forward fairly well, defended pretty well on the whole, scored, but his set piece delivery was poor a lot of the time.
Cisse: Ok, some good, some terrible. Horay for having another Sonko.
Sonko: Some good, plenty of Sonkoesque cock ups and stupidity though. At least he didn't get sent off, hmm.
Oster:- I'm coming round to the he's shit view. He flattered to deceive all game, has the skill but makes the wrong decisions to often and has a Brookeresque fear of attacking the ball, box or taking on a player.
Hunt:- Bless he tries hard but he's back to his bumbling not really pulling it off phase. Not a great crosser, which with Oster on the other flank means no good balls getting into the box.
Matejovski:- Bit anonamous, showed flashes of class but could do with driving forward more and actually having a shot. A pair of inform strikers might help him
Harper:- put himself about well and broke up a lot of Villa play, you know you'll get a solid performance from Harper, but like Marek needs to have a shot sometimes. If the other team know we won't shoot from outside the box it makes their job a whole lot easier.
Kitson:- Lots of really nice hold up and spread play. Often his flicks didn't come off but in a confident team in form he'd be a terror. Unfortunately doesn't have the pace to create an attack and then get on the end of it.
Doyle:- Lost a yard of pace, lots of effort, no sign of creating anything or if he could scoring. Time to be replaced by Lita
Kebe:- looks like a foal, keen and the one player willing to drive and have a go, but really lacking in actual quality right now.
Long:- Did he actually have any effect?
Ingimarsson:- Bizarre subsitution IMO, looked the same old Ivar, quality, but not quite tall, strong, or quick enough to make a big enough difference.

IMO we dominated Villa for large parts of the first half and gave them a good game of it in patches of the 2nd. I feel we have the quality needed to start winning games and pull away from the drop. I just don't see any players or combinations of players able to take the game by the scruff of the neck and make a big enough difference to kick start everyone else.

Thats the major problem. And it is bloody huge.

Good post Ian. I agree with amost all of it...

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 26 Feb 2008 01:33

Ian Royal Ingimarsson:- Bizarre subsitution IMO, looked the same old Ivar, quality, but not quite tall, strong, or quick enough to make a big enough difference.

Not bizarre in the slightest, I called it 5-10 minutes earlier saying we were getting plenty of corners with no aerial threat whatsoever, Inga is decent at set plays so why not.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 26 Feb 2008 08:29

RG30
Ian Royal Ingimarsson:- Bizarre subsitution IMO, looked the same old Ivar, quality, but not quite tall, strong, or quick enough to make a big enough difference.

Not bizarre in the slightest, I called it 5-10 minutes earlier saying we were getting plenty of corners with no aerial threat whatsoever, Inga is decent at set plays so why not.

And how many corners did we get after his introduction?!

What's more our failure to get anything from all those corners earlier in the game had far more to do with the inability of the takers to get the ball anywhere near the aerial threat that we did have.

If Ivar was going to be brought on at all it should have been to push him forward as an attacking midfielder. Far better though that we had another forward on the bench in the first place i.e. Lita but then personality is far more important than goals and points at this stage of the season! :twisted:

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 26 Feb 2008 08:39

feed the goat..he will score....

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 26 Feb 2008 08:52

frimleygreen_shotspur feed the goat..he will score....

Feed the troll and he will bore

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 26 Feb 2008 08:55

Schards#2
frimleygreen_shotspur feed the goat..he will score....

Feed the troll and he will bore

you did.

147 posts