Reading second favourites to win league

214 posts
Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Reading second favourites to win league

by Chaney » 26 May 2008 17:19

Arnie_Pie Third favourites now...................

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... win-market

6/1 Joint favs with Ladbrokes :mrgreen:

earleyroyal

Re: WERE 8/1 TO WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIP

by earleyroyal » 26 May 2008 17:51

Royalee
earleyroyal
Royalee Stick your money on Derby.

I presume this is ironic?

Unless you mean Derby to go down?

If it's not either of those then :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're forgetting Derby actually have funds to spend on new players and a better manager than us - its only May.

Better manager for the Championship? Would certainly argue that point.

Funds? Maybe, they've already spent all the parachute money according to Pearson but I'm sure they'll have some. However, at the moment we have the same team which was one point/goal difference away from survival in the Premiership (this is actually a fact unlike most of the things spouted on here) and if we can keep the nucleus of it then we have a huge headstart on Derby. If Jewell buys a whole new team, as he says he wants to, gels them together and gets automatic promotion, I'll be absolutely amazed.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 26 May 2008 17:56

SteveRoyal Can I just ask why people are so negative about Kebe?
We've hardly seen anything of him in since January and when he has played he has shown he has some skill.
He's also been called up for International duty (even if it is a small country) over Cisse.
He must have something.

He plays in a different position to Cisse, for example if Ashton was called up to the England squad as the 4th best striker over say Joe Hart as the 4th best keeper it wouldn't make him a better player.

I would debate the point about showing skill - he came on at Everton for a few minutes and nearly scored but all he did was beat one player who wasn't expecting him to be so shit quick. Against Villa, while standing out from a truly dismal team effort, his tactic was to run around with the ball until he lost it. After these games he looked like he had something about him, however the performance he gave at Arsenal suggested someone lacking in even basic technique and totally out of his depth. It was nothing to do with Arsenal, more the fact that he miscontrolled the ball most of the time and gave it straight to them when he did bring it under control.

However everyone can have a shocker and he does have great pace, he could be helpful as a defender and as a winger but I think he needs to learn to control the ball first!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 May 2008 18:14

I don't have any detailed knowledge of Derby's finances but Jewell has no chance of spending money on getting a new team together, unless some benefactor dumps a load of dosh in his lap.

They spent a load of money on shite and now Jewell wants to get rid of that shite. He'll make a loss on those player sales that will be bigger than the parachute payments for the next 2 years. In short they are fcuked and far more likely candidates for relegation than promotion.

Oh and Kebe's performance against Arsenal was actually quite horrible to watch. I don't think he ever got tackled - Arsenal's defenders just gave him the space and he either kicked it out of play or passed it back to them. He can't really be that bad... can he?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 May 2008 18:28

We've hardly seen anything of him in since January and when he has played he has shown he has some skill.
He's also been called up for International duty (even if it is a small country) over Cisse.
He must have something.

My counter to that would be he has looked extremely light weight on the ball. Has shown dreadful control and apart from 1 run 30 seconds into his first sub appearance I don't recall him beating a single player. Have we even seen him cross a ball yet?

He looked vaguely promising to start with because he attacked players. However he couldn't run for more than a couple of yards witha defender near him without falling over the ball or being tackled.

By all reports I've heard he's looked no better in reserve football.

When it comes to be called up over Cisse that has nothing to do with anything. For all we know Mali might have no wingers and shed loads of centrebacks/central midfielders.

Feel free to make me eat my words in 6 months time. I'd be delighted to.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 May 2008 19:25

2 world wars, 1 world cup
He must have something.

Well said. I've been impressed with him in the Prem to be honest. Fast, exciting, makes something out of nothing. Might be good in the Championship too.

The problem I saw was that far too often he made nothing out of something.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 27 May 2008 18:35

Arnie_Pie Third favourites now...................

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... win-market
the bets on QPR are all based on expectation that they'll sign a lot of players. With their current squad, it would be an act of madness to make them favourites.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 May 2008 10:51

Royalee You're forgetting Derby actually have funds to spend on new players and a better manager than us - its only May.

LOL of the year, considering it's on a thread claiming Jimmy Kebab is the future that's some achievement

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 31 May 2008 18:57

Silver Fox
Royalee You're forgetting Derby actually have funds to spend on new players and a better manager than us - its only May.

LOL of the year, considering it's on a thread claiming Jimmy Kebab is the future that's some achievement

Indeed Royalee up to his old tricks again.
I am surprisingly positive about next season. If we keep the likes of Bikey, Matejovski, Kitson, Hahnemann, Harper, Little etc we have a very good chance of finishing in the top 2 although I do think Wolves will be strong contenders too

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 31 May 2008 19:28

PEARCEY
Silver Fox

I am surprisingly positive about next season. If we keep the likes of Bikey, Matejovski, Kitson, Hahnemann, Harper, Little etc we have a very good chance of finishing in the top 2 although I do think Wolves will be strong contenders too

Agreed

We must keep hold of Bikey. I am suprised to not see any rumours about other clubs after him tbh.

Y25

by Y25 » 02 Jun 2008 21:34

Paddy Power has us third favourites

1. Brum
2. QPR

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jun 2008 13:20

earleyroyal
Royalee
earleyroyal I presume this is ironic?

Unless you mean Derby to go down?

If it's not either of those then :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're forgetting Derby actually have funds to spend on new players and a better manager than us - its only May.

Better manager for the Championship? Would certainly argue that point.

Funds? Maybe, they've already spent all the parachute money according to Pearson but I'm sure they'll have some. However, at the moment we have the same team which was one point/goal difference away from survival in the Premiership (this is actually a fact unlike most of the things spouted on here) and if we can keep the nucleus of it then we have a huge headstart on Derby. If Jewell buys a whole new team, as he says he wants to, gels them together and gets automatic promotion, I'll be absolutely amazed.

Well they've just managed to find the money to sign themselves a winger (not that we've ever needed to sign one of them!).

Kris Commons on a free transfer (on a reported £10,000 a week, 3 year contract). Not a bad goalscoring v appearances record for a winger either.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jun 2008 13:34

The 2.5m they got from the sale of Earnshaw probably helped.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Jun 2008 13:34

Royal Rother I don't have any detailed knowledge of Derby's finances but Jewell has no chance of spending money on getting a new team together, unless some benefactor dumps a load of dosh in his lap.

They spent a load of money on shite and now Jewell wants to get rid of that shite. He'll make a loss on those player sales that will be bigger than the parachute payments for the next 2 years. In short they are fcuked and far more likely candidates for relegation than promotion.

Oh and Kebe's performance against Arsenal was actually quite horrible to watch. I don't think he ever got tackled - Arsenal's defenders just gave him the space and he either kicked it out of play or passed it back to them. He can't really be that bad... can he?

With Reading's scouting and transfer record over the last 2 and a half years there is every chance that he is utterly useless.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Jun 2008 13:38

PEARCEY
Silver Fox

Tricks? I don't do tricks, I do honesty - a bit like Stephen Hunt I guess but combined with some intelligence.

I'd forgotten we'd gone all out in the transfer market already whilst Derby have bought themselves a decent striker and a winger.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Jun 2008 13:55

Royalee Tricks? I don't do tricks, I do honesty - a bit like Stephen Hunt I guess but combined with some intelligence.

I'd forgotten we'd gone all out in the transfer market already whilst Derby have bought themselves a decent striker and a winger.

I doubt even the most staunch of our critics would disagree with the fact that Derby have an awful lot more rebuilding to do than either us or Birmingham. Jewell's going to have to buy virtually a brand new team and he knows it.
Last edited by Vision on 03 Jun 2008 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Jun 2008 13:56

Coppell >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jewell.

FACT.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 03 Jun 2008 14:09

SpaceCruiser Coppell >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jewell.

FACT.

OPINION. :wink:

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 03 Jun 2008 14:11

Charlton 20/1, thanks very much. Good E/W shout.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 03 Jun 2008 14:17

Wycombe Royal
SpaceCruiser Coppell >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jewell.

FACT.

OPINION. :wink:

Over the last two seasons, Coppell's team has finished above Jewell's team. Also, Coppell has won the Manager of the Year twice in a row. Can you argue against those facts?

214 posts