Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by Royal Lady » 15 Sep 2008 17:39

:roll: I said I couldn't understand why last season it seemed Coppell was happy with three strikers and yet this season we have five. AP has already said, and I have agreed with him, that Coppell probably thought he'd lose Doyle and/or Lita at some stage - thus answering my question.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 15 Sep 2008 17:43

Take a look at your avatar, Schards :D

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Sep 2008 08:16

Denver Royal
Scarface Why wait until the end of the year for Coppell to walk out, lets get rid now and get a fresh manager in to look at the squad prior to the January sales. This is a season of parachute payments wasted with the club just going backwards even more.

Having made the decision to stick with him in the Summer, I think Mr Mad et al would look exceeedingly foolish if they got rid of Coppell right now.

Plus Mr Mad will want Coppell on board through the January window...and we all know why.

I wouldn't worry too much. I don't think Coppell's heart is in it for the long ride i.e. a couple of seasons work or more. Therefore, if things (particularly our away form) haven't picked up and we are not in the top six by November, I reckon he will fall on his sword. This will allow time to find a new manager and for him to make his own assessment of the current squad before the window opens in January. Then we will see just how much JM is committed to getting us back up to the PL sooner rather than later.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Sep 2008 08:27

I really can't help but be amazed athow many people still think that getting into the Prem is still the best thing for RFC, given the news headlines yesterday and today!

Try and separate what you (individually) want from what is better long term for RFC.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Sep 2008 08:40

Uke I really can't help but be amazed athow many people still think that getting into the Prem is still the best thing for RFC, given the news headlines yesterday and today!

Try and separate what you (individually) want from what is better long term for RFC.

All very well but prior to the start of this season, and coinciding with the sale of season tickets, who was building up the belief that a quick return to the PL was what we should aspire to? Step forward JM, NH & co! At that time more than happy for us to put our money where their mouths were! :evil:

Are you really suggesting that for the longer term benefit of RFC we should sit back and be happy if our team aren't pushing for promotion?!! If so, what's the point in supporting a team in a competitive sport!

I take it that should we unfortunately find our way into the playoffs, you will be cheering on our opponents for fear that we could end up back in the evil PL!!

I guess at least we would be treating the cups and league with the same level of respect!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Sep 2008 10:19

they reduced ticket prices, sell fewer tickets, get less from TV, less from the league itself
and you expected us to spend more now than when we were in the prem?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Sep 2008 12:16

RoyalBlue
Uke I really can't help but be amazed athow many people still think that getting into the Prem is still the best thing for RFC, given the news headlines yesterday and today!

All very well but prior to the start of this season, and coinciding with the sale of season tickets, who was building up the belief that a quick return to the PL was what we should aspire to? Step forward JM, NH & co! At that time more than happy for us to put our money where their mouths were! :evil:

Are you really suggesting that for the longer term benefit of RFC we should sit back and be happy if our team aren't pushing for promotion?!! If so, what's the point in supporting a team in a competitive sport!

I take it that should we unfortunately find our way into the playoffs, you will be cheering on our opponents for fear that we could end up back in the evil PL!!

I guess at least we would be treating the cups and league with the same level of respect!

Separate Advertising/marketing from fact

I love wining ad promotion as much as anyone else, but I would not want to see it all spunked away for 3 or 4 seasons in the Prem if it leaded to the club folding - would you?

Ambition does not mean losing site of the long term view - in fact very much the opposite

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 16 Sep 2008 12:28

brendywendy they reduced ticket prices, sell fewer tickets, get less from TV, less from the league itself
and you expected us to spend more now than when we were in the prem?

Of course. That's why we went down. If we don't spend, we'll stay down. The money can come from sales of players, parachute payments or JM's back pocket.

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 16 Sep 2008 12:38

If we don't at least strive to get back up I can see another 5 or 6 players leaving next year. Like Leicester we could easily see ourselves in Div 1 rebuilding in a few years (which might suit Coppell more, as the players will have smaller egos), so yes I believe it would be better for us to be back in the Prem next season.

Being a YoYo club will in the long run improve the squad and bank balance.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Sep 2008 13:41

Scarface

If we don't at least strive to get back up I can see another 5 or 6 players leaving next year. Like Leicester we could easily see ourselves in Div 1 rebuilding in a few years (which might suit Coppell more, as the players will have smaller egos), so yes I believe it would be better for us to be back in the Prem next season.

Being a YoYo club will in the long run improve the squad and bank balance.

Look at the successful yo-yo's though - none of them spent big and they continue to yo-yo. By default this means for every up there will be a down and a restructuring.

Also the period does not need to be every season, so don't always expect a bounce back up. What matters is where you are yo-yoing and we are yo-yoing in the right place.

Unfortunately this doesn't get through to some people.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 16 Sep 2008 13:51

But from a financial point of view it is. And as you, and many many others, regard RFC's financial well being as paramount, the only place we have been financialy secure without JM's assistance is in the Premiership.

I think it’s all a bit of a Catch 22 for JM

He has made it no secret that he finds the costs involved in being a premiership club ‘obscene’

He has made it no secret he wants to sell.

He has made it no secret that he wants the club to be self financing.

He has made it no secret that he no longer supports the club financially from his own pocket.

However.....

It only time in recent history the club has been profitable and self supporting is when ..... it’s been in the Premiership.

The most chance of selling the club is when ..... Reading is in the Premiership.

The most chance of him never having to dip into his own pockets again is ..... if Reading are in the Premiership.

It will be interesting to see his reaction if we fail to go back up in the next two seasons and the £11,000,000 parachute payments stop.

Get ready for more ‘cut your cloth’ speeches and a wholesale dumping of anyone earning more than £50.00 a week. :wink:

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Sep 2008 13:54

Northern Git

But from a financial point of view it is. And as you, and many many others, regard RFC's financial well being as paramount, the only place we have been financialy secure without JM's assistance is in the Premiership.

He has made it no secret that he finds the costs involved in being a premiership club ‘obscene’

He has made it no secret that he no longer supports the club financially from his own pocket.

However.....

It only time in recent history the club has been profitable and self supporting is when ..... it’s been in the Premiership.

The most chance of selling the club is when ..... Reading is in the Premiership.

The most chance of him never having to dip into his own pockets again is ..... if Reading are in the Premiership.

It will be interesting to see his reaction if we fail to go back up in the next two seasons and the £11,000,000 parachute payments stop.

Get ready for more ‘cut your cloth’ speeches and a wholesale dumping of anyone earning more than £50.00 a week. :wink:

Did you accudently forget to quote the bit about only selling to 'safe hands' to ensure the best interests for the club?

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 16 Sep 2008 14:44

Uke
Northern Git

However.....

Did you accudently forget to quote the bit about only selling to 'safe hands' to ensure the best interests for the club?

No, the only person I quoted was you. And your post I quoted said nothing about safe hands.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Sep 2008 14:52

Northern Git
Uke
Northern Git But from a financial point of view it is. And as you, and many many others, regard RFC's financial well being as paramount, the only place we have been financialy secure without JM's assistance is in the Premiership.

However.....

No, the only person I quoted was you. And your post I quoted said nothing about safe hands.

It was Madejski that has always said he will only sell to a safe pair of hands

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 16 Sep 2008 17:43

^ Correct. So your point is?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Sep 2008 17:44

Uke Did you accudently forget to quote the bit about only selling to 'safe hands' to ensure the best interests for the club?

Did you forget to add the relevance?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Sep 2008 18:28

Platypuss
Uke Did you accudently forget to quote the bit about only selling to 'safe hands' to ensure the best interests for the club?

Did you forget to add the relevance?

I think I did! :oops:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 Sep 2008 20:18

and only beacause JM invested in the club many years ago.......

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 16 Sep 2008 20:35

Schards#2 supporting Reading's going to be a whole lot duller and uninspiring than in recent years :cry:

Oh yeah.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Sep 2008 21:13

Arch
Schards#2 supporting Reading's going to be a whole lot duller and uninspiring than in recent years :cry:

Oh yeah.

LOL :)

2091 posts