Hob Nob Regular

Re: Wolves - Back From The Game...

by SteveRoyal » 28 Jan 2009 14:41

I think it's time people posted up their ratings of the players. :idea:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Jan 2009 14:42

LoyalRoyalFan There are however one or two things we could do to improve our game. We play far too much long ball. We struggled to put together two or three passes on the ground.

Agreed on this point.

Our game is based on getting the ball forward with as little fuss as possible and making the forwards work the channels. We very rarely look to hold onto the ball and probe for an opening. That's great when teams can be steamrollered by our quality and hard work, but when they're made of sterner stuff, like Wolves, it comes undone.

In the second half we were crying out for someone to keep the ball and take the pressure off the back four for a while. Unfortunately thats not part of our game and so we kept giving back as usual.

It's worked for most of the season so fair play, I just think we'd have another string to our bow if we could keep the ball and kill off a game instead of having to battle it out so much as last night.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Jan 2009 14:45

facaldaqui This is part of Reading's secret. In some ways, what we do is very unorthodox. This team shows that there is worth in a half tackle, a quarter tackle, a flailing jostle, a toe in.....

I wouldn't say it's unorthadox, it's just not a lot of teams can do it quite as well as us because their forwards aren't as willing as Doyle and Hunt etc

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 28 Jan 2009 14:47

Hoop Blah
LoyalRoyalFan There are however one or two things we could do to improve our game. We play far too much long ball. We struggled to put together two or three passes on the ground.

Agreed on this point.

Our game is based on getting the ball forward with as little fuss as possible and making the forwards work the channels. We very rarely look to hold onto the ball and probe for an opening. That's great when teams can be steamrollered by our quality and hard work, but when they're made of sterner stuff, like Wolves, it comes undone.

In the second half we were crying out for someone to keep the ball and take the pressure off the back four for a while. Unfortunately thats not part of our game and so we kept giving back as usual.

It's worked for most of the season so fair play, I just think we'd have another string to our bow if we could keep the ball and kill off a game instead of having to battle it out so much as last night.

TBF Wolves didn't keep the ball much either. Very difficult to do on a pitch of that quality I'm afraid. Funny enough, with the levels of drive and commitment shown last night, we'd have every chance of staying in the Prem with that pitch as nobody would be able to play any football on it !! :)
Don't think I'd want to watch footie like that every week though so SORT OUT THE PITCH PLEASE !!

M0J0

by M0J0 » 28 Jan 2009 14:53

I can't understand the logic of the Ref, how can he send a player off in the 93rd minute of a 94 minute game. I cannot imagine a scenario where i could justify a sending off at that stage of a very important game, with players wasting as much time as they can and the other teams players anxious to get the ball up the other end, unless of course the said player nstead of swearing ,was to produce a machette or a machine gun and start attacking the linesman. no...I think a quiet word in his shell like would have been enough.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 28 Jan 2009 14:55

Hoop Blah
Deadlock
Blue&White Mage I'm guessing it was just me who thought the guy who tried to steal Kebe's shirt in the first half deserved a red, as no one else seems to have mentioned it. I thought the ref was shocking in parts and only seemed to start giving us decisions after he was bowled over by a wolves player :)

Certainly a case for Ward to be sent off there.

It was a cynical challenge yes, but I'm not sure how you could justify sending him off for it. Have a stab at it if you like though....

"denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick"

Then again, perhaps the ref knew Kebe's scoring record, and the "obvious goal-scoring opportunity" bit fails.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 Jan 2009 14:55

can someone please clarify how many goals in TOTAL n.hunt has got this season? According to teamtalk it is 16, was wondering if they added the hunt brothers combined total together.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/topscorers/0,16400,1786,00.html

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Jan 2009 14:57

Deadlock
Hoop Blah
Deadlock Certainly a case for Ward to be sent off there.

It was a cynical challenge yes, but I'm not sure how you could justify sending him off for it. Have a stab at it if you like though....

"denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick"

Then again, perhaps the ref knew Kebe's scoring record, and the "obvious goal-scoring opportunity" bit fails.

It wasn't even a vague goal scoring opportunity ! Never a red card.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 28 Jan 2009 14:58

N Hunt - 9 league, 2 cup.
S Hunt - 6 league, 1 cup.

Teamtalk are just wrong.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Jan 2009 15:00

M0J0 I can't understand the logic of the Ref, how can he send a player off in the 93rd minute of a 94 minute game. I cannot imagine a scenario where i could justify a sending off at that stage of a very important game,

That's bizarre !

It's the same offence whether it's in the 1st or 90th minute (you can't get the 93rd minute of a game, whatever the media think the game only lasts 90 minutes)
You are basically suggesting that at some arbitrary point, and based on how 'important' the game is the laws of the game shoul dbe suspended ?

I'd say a more relevant question would why a player in a the dying stages of a crucial game would chose to abuse an official over a throw in and risk ruling himself out of 3 matches....

Yahoops

by Yahoops » 28 Jan 2009 15:06

M0J0 I can't understand the logic of the Ref, how can he send a player off in the 93rd minute of a 94 minute game. I cannot imagine a scenario where i could justify a sending off at that stage of a very important game, with players wasting as much time as they can and the other teams players anxious to get the ball up the other end, unless of course the said player nstead of swearing ,was to produce a machette or a machine gun and start attacking the linesman. no...I think a quiet word in his shell like would have been enough.

What has the time elapsed got to do with it? Or any of the other things you mentioned? Are you a ref by any chance?

Collins spoke to the linesman 3 times in all about the 2 incidents, the linesman let it go until the 3rd comment. The ref would have got the full story and thus the red.

Royal Monk

by Royal Monk » 28 Jan 2009 15:10

The linesman had spoken to him several times in the preceding minutes before the offence took place , but he still whinged and wined
and probably called the lino a cheat with a few swear words bunged in. He deserved all he got really

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2009 15:20

Hoop Blah
Deadlock
Blue&White Mage I'm guessing it was just me who thought the guy who tried to steal Kebe's shirt in the first half deserved a red, as no one else seems to have mentioned it. I thought the ref was shocking in parts and only seemed to start giving us decisions after he was bowled over by a wolves player :)

Certainly a case for Ward to be sent off there. What I thought was bizarre was in the second half when another Wolves player committed the same offence on NHunt we only got a free kick. There was also the bit where a Wolves player launched himself at Boris, which the ref initially gave us a free kick for, only to change his mind when he realised the Wolf had injured himself!?

I enjoyed the bit where the two Wolves players head-butted each other. Didn't enjoy missing the goal because I was one of the 200 or so still queueing at Gate 7 to get in.

I've no idea what the ref gave a freekick for for the challenge on Gunnarsson though and even less of an idea of why he changed his mind. He was only a couple of yards form the incident in the first place.

Second incident was extremely close to me. Ref clearly originally gave a free kick our way (which I was astounded at) presumably because he saw him jumping at Gunnar/the ball from a distance.

It went the other way, because Gunnar (probably not intentionally) smashed the guy in the face with an elbow. When I saw it and the ref blew up straight away I instantly thought we were looking at a red.

I think the lino must have had a better view and put the ref right. But Bryn was very lucky not to see a yellow and could easily have got a red, given some of the ones we've had dished out.

M0J0

by M0J0 » 28 Jan 2009 15:21

All i am saying is that in the great scheme of things abusing the linesman is hardly a sending off offence when the game is as good as over ,and many more serious incidents have gone totaly unpunished. and whilst it is under discussion i also think that awarding a penalty in the last few minutes of a game for an offence that is any less than a blatant ,deliberate handball or the like,is not a good thing.
i suppose what i am saying is that these inconsistant referees should use a bit of discretion and common sense. sometimes.

So in answer to some of the responses yes the time of an incident does make a difference to the response . If you don't agree ask gazza what he thinks. If the ref had warned him and even booked him when he commited his first foul in the FA cup final he may not have commited the second,which injured his knee so badly.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jan 2009 15:27

M0J0 All i am saying is that in the great scheme of things abusing the linesman is hardly a sending off offence when the game is as good as over ,and many more serious incidents have gone totaly unpunished. and whilst it is under discussion i also think that awarding a penalty in the last few minutes of a game for an offence that is any less than a blatant ,deliberate handball or the like,is not a good thing.
i suppose what i am saying is that these inconsistant referees should use a bit of discretion and common sense. sometimes.

So in answer to some of the responses yes the time of an incident does make a difference to the response . If you don't agree ask gazza what he thinks. If the ref had warned him and even booked him when he commited his first foul in the FA cup final he may not have commited the second,which injured his knee so badly.

It is always a sending off offence.

Breaking a player's leg deliberately is a sending off offence in the first or last second and anywhere in between. Why different standards for a non dangrous, but equally punishable (on the field) offence?

Gazza shouldn't have commited either anyway. There is an arguement for talking to player early on rather than chucking cards around. But not for such obvious and blatant violations and certainly not for late on in a match.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 28 Jan 2009 15:28

M0J0 If you don't agree ask gazza what he thinks. If the ref had warned him and even booked him when he commited his first foul in the FA cup final he may not have commited the second,which injured his knee so badly.

The second for which, had the ref applied the letter of the law to both tackles, should have seen Gascoigne red-carded whilst on the stretcher.

Also - don't forget that the referees' assessor is in the stands watching every decision the referee makes and referees have marks taken away for not correctly applying the laws of the game.

As someone once said - There is no place for sentiment in football.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jan 2009 15:30

M0J0 All i am saying is that in the great scheme of things abusing the linesman is hardly a sending off offence when the game is as good as over ,and many more serious incidents have gone totaly unpunished. and whilst it is under discussion i also think that awarding a penalty in the last few minutes of a game for an offence that is any less than a blatant ,deliberate handball or the like,is not a good thing.

You must be on a wind up...

Foul & abusive language is a red card offence, the assitant ref gave him plenty of chances to shut up and move away - he didn't so he's off and it's his own stupid fault.

A ref will make a decision on what he sees regardless of it being the 9th or 99th minute, that's the way it should be and thankfully is...

No sod it, lets make the last 10 mins a free for all anything goes laughathon...

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Jan 2009 15:41

You might want to sit down and stop talking for a while there Champ!

M0J0

by M0J0 » 28 Jan 2009 16:03

Stranded

Foul & abusive language is a red card offence, the assitant ref gave him plenty of chances to shut up and move away - he didn't so he's off and it's his own stupid fault.

A ref will make a decision on what he sees regardless of it being the 9th or 99th minute, that's the way it should be and thankfully is...

No sod it, lets make the last 10 mins a free for all anything goes laughathon...

Me ,,On a wind up... LOL....HAHAHAHA

Nooooo.... but you are

you have managed to take my suggestion that in the penultimate minute of a game...

and turned it into the last ten minutes ... AND

my comment that abuse of a linesman decision....

and turned it into a free for all.

If you have ever played the game at any level be it schoolboy, pub , am , semi or full

I absolutely guarantee you have questioned a linesmans decision, i also am sure you will have
been more vociferous as the game came into the last minute and a half, if you had scored
in your own net and were losing 1-0. and under those conditions i would hope that the ref did
not say the rules of the game are " black and white" and no grey areas exist,,and he used his
common sense and said "look its been a bad night for you and it can only get worse...so pull your
head in and don't be so silly.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 28 Jan 2009 16:07

Stranded

So hopefully we will now see Rooney and a few others in the Premier League getting sent off every week because everybody can see them sounding off at linesmen and yet seldom are they punished.

185 posts