Back from The game Sheff Utd

152 posts
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from The game Sheff Utd

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 12 Apr 2009 14:56

howser Rother, while I understand your support Sheffield had just played three games in 7 days and while they only had a couple of shots on goal their whole attitude was sharper with more effort and desire

that's pretty normal for a team on a good run. It's pretty natural for them to have more enthusiasm.

For all that extra enthusiasm though, they weren't the better team to any degree except the most important one, in they scored and we didn't. Other than that, they were wholly unimpressive, and if that's them on a good run, you'd fear for them on a bad run if they went up.

Bacon Double Cheese
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Lincoln, the home of quality football and Peterborough which isn't

by Bacon Double Cheese » 12 Apr 2009 16:18

howser we have, sadly, just been going through the motions over the past few months
I used to work at Thames Water and we did that for years :shock:

If I had been a neutral I would have enjoyed yesterdays match more. What I did enjoy was a Reading performance streets ahead of what we have endured so far in 2009. Maybe, just maybe, we can put together a run that sets us up well for the play offs or even auto promotion if other results go our way. We could beat any team at Wembley if the desire is there.

My glass is more than half full and tomorrow should see it topped up a little more 8) Keep the faith.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Apr 2009 20:00

Bacon Double Cheese If I had been a neutral I would have enjoyed yesterdays match more. What I did enjoy was a Reading performance streets ahead of what we have endured so far in 2009.
and even as a non-neutral, I say halle-bloody-lullah to that

Common sense at last.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 12 Apr 2009 20:06

We were poor, they were slightly better. A dreadful advert for a rubbish division. How would being a neutral fan have made that enjoyable?

Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

by Flyingkiwi » 13 Apr 2009 00:14

The thing is that, by the yardstick of this performance being an improvement, anything is going to be a step up from the Crystal Palace game which was the first time I can ever remember literally holding my head in my hands whilst watching it was so dire.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Apr 2009 08:35

If that was our best performance in a while, then I'm actually glad I can't make many games.

It was as witless as a Harry Carry post, with marginally less penetration. None of it was especially bad but just the sheer, unremitting, 1-dimensional play, looking for the same options again and again. The only thing more predictable was Stephen Hunt being first to the ref every time.

It is not a bad squad - clearly lacking in confidence and a game plan when it actually matters most. I am almost relieved that its not in our hands any more - certainly a significant proportion of fans took it for granted and I wonder if this attitude could be found in the dressing room.

I also, bizarrely have no sympathy for Cisse. He let the ball bounce. We were being outfought all over the park and from minute 1 - he let the Sheffield United player get into position to make that challenge. Attack the ball, man, ATTACK THE BALL.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Apr 2009 09:19

Ha! I remember shouting exactly the same thing at Kebe during the game, except there was an expletive inserted between the words "the" and "ball".

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 13 Apr 2009 09:29

It wasnt one of our best displays.
The sheer lightweight nature of our midfield, coupled with our unadventurous full backs meant that our two best players, Doyle and Kitson were underutilised. I do believe, however if that we had scored in the first half, we would have won the game, because it does seem we lose belief very quickly.

I dont want to do a full list of scores so, just to say,

Kelly - Really doesnt look up to this standard.
Matejovsky - Here you are, United, have the ball. Thats why he went off.
Doyle - Even when he's not scoring, he still looks the best player in the team and that has to be worrying for the rest of them.

I have no idea why it took so long to replace JK. And if we really are going to play without a left winger, I would prefer we dont play a flat 442. We can do without our strikers covering there.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 13 Apr 2009 09:37

Mad Dog's Ghost We were poor, they were slightly better. A dreadful advert for a rubbish division. How would being a neutral fan have made that enjoyable?

They were OK. We were slightly better. It was exciting blood-and-thunder stuff at times involving some hard tackling and some direct play together with a few passing moves and one tremendous run by Bikey. A neutral would have been quite well entertained.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 13 Apr 2009 09:38

Dr Hfuhruhurr Matejovsky - Here you are, United, have the ball. Thats why he went off.

At least it's not just me then.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 Apr 2009 09:55

Murty had a fitness test before the game apparently but it seems he failed it.

Would have liked to see him start.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 14 Apr 2009 08:57

This would have gone done as an OKish performance before the Reading fan negativity pandemic. The only thing missing was belief, the mental strength that gave the team an extra half yard and an extra couple of bodies in the key places at the key times earlier in the season. If we can only get a bit of iron will back, promotion may yet be attained through the back door. I'm not expecting it.

USA - 6: a couple of good saves, but distribution poor
Kelly: - 7: good competent performance despite a few late lapses of concentration
Doobs - 5: wobbly
Bikey - 5: ditto
Stretch - 6: solid
Kebe - 5: bereft of confidence
Cisse - was probably heading for a 6 before the injury
Tabb - 7: neat and tidy, brave in the tackle and when heading
Matejovsky - 6: fitful - went from shoddy to sublime back to shoddy again
S Hunt - 5: worked hard, no end product
Kitson - 6: had the two best chances but hogs the centre to the detriment of Doyle without really creating anything
Doyle - 6: leggy and not able to get into the game

152 posts