What's the point in Reading FC getting promoted ?

150 posts
TheMaraudingDog

Re: What's the point in Reading FC getting promoted ?

by TheMaraudingDog » 30 Apr 2009 13:41

CMRoyal
TheMaraudingDog
RobRoyal
Then you're just starting on the road to understanding being a football fan. Congrats.

Don't patronise me newbie.

156 consecutive games. 8)

RFC achieved the goal, there's nothing left to hang around for. TMD got out at the right time whilst you lot throw dosh down the drain. 8)

Sounds like it was you who threw money away. If your love was based solely on achieving "the goal", you must have spent an awful lot of money on being disappointed. For those of us who just love following our team, it's worth every penny, always has benn always will - that's why we do it.

PS you're right you were being patronised there, but there aren't many more condescending things than telling people how they should be spending their own money, which is effectively what this thread is all about.

More fool you then pedro.

Finch (miles travelled) >>>>>> Handbag Harris

FACT

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Apr 2009 13:42

Every game in the Premier League was like a cup final - points crucial - i had more butterfly moments last year than i have had this year.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 30 Apr 2009 13:44

paultheroyal Every game in the Premier League was like a cup final - points crucial - i had more butterfly moments last year than i have had this year.

I'll re-iterate one of my previous posts....

Little things please little minds.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Apr 2009 13:57

TheMaraudingDog
paultheroyal Every game in the Premier League was like a cup final - points crucial - i had more butterfly moments last year than i have had this year.

We are a little club - oh and i read page 1 and i read page 8 and that was enough for me.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 30 Apr 2009 14:04

TheMaraudingDog
CMRoyal Sounds like it was you who threw money away. If your love was based solely on achieving "the goal", you must have spent an awful lot of money on being disappointed. For those of us who just love following our team, it's worth every penny, always has benn always will - that's why we do it.

PS you're right you were being patronised there, but there aren't many more condescending things than telling people how they should be spending their own money, which is effectively what this thread is all about.

More fool you then pedro.

Finch (miles travelled) >>>>>> Handbag Harris

FACT

Wow - searingly and incisive reply there. You've sure got me beat.

There's an old saying - don't argue with an eejit - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I'm outta this one...

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 30 Apr 2009 14:11

who are ya? This could be a good one..
Good spot

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 30 Apr 2009 14:14

TheMaraudingDog

We can't all fit inside Old Trafford anyway. So what shall we do?

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 30 Apr 2009 14:22

Basically fans go to watch football games as it is their "hobby" or "pastime". Gives them entertainment, pleasure, and something to talk about with their mates. Supporting a team makes watching football more exciting, in the same way that betting on the football does, and most fans will choose a club to support based on 3 reasons:

- Location: local teams easy to get to all the games and love of their home town etc etc. Would prefer to watch live football than watch a team miles away on TV.

- Glory/Publicity: teams that are in the Champions League, always on Sky, first billing on MOTD. Have lots of players in the national teams at World Cups. Easy to be an armchair fan, keep up to date with the players and watch a lot of games whilst getting pleasure out of seeing your team win a lot.

- Family or friends: sometimes a Dads (or Mums without being sexist) influence over a childs team they support can make the difference in the early years, taking them to their 1st games etc etc. especially if all the family support the same team. Same if all your mates support Reading then you are probably going to in order to "fit in".

Once you have chosen your team you are unlikely to change. If it is your pastime you are going to watch the games to gain pleasure and relax from work (or school). Some people become obsessed and feel that they cant afford to miss a game, others go for the occasional game when they feel like it. Basically this depends on your priorities in life and how many other pastimes or hobbies that you have and can fit around work. When you watch your team, you then start to want success for that team, as it makes you happier as a spectator. Promotion is a success. Watching your team in play against household names makes people happy because everyone loves to see a celebrity.

To summarise this rambling post, in all reality is there any point? Only as it makes people happy for a year at least, its exciting to watch compared to being bored at work, and promotion is something to celebrate as everyone loves Christmas even though you would be pretty stupid to beleive in all that stuff.

nev monkey

by nev monkey » 30 Apr 2009 15:48

TheMaraudingDog Realistically, you'll only get relegated again and if not in the first season, then definitely in the next couple. You won't see anything you haven't seen already. You won't achieve anything better than you achieved before. You're just waiting to get relegated and hopefully then go back up again ?

I can't be arsed to read the whole thing but for what it's worth, heres why...

For a small club like Reading to gain promotion to the PL is a big achievement. Once we're there then hanging on to that place is in most ways an even bigger achievement. That's proabably as good as it may get & so yes there may be no point being there if we can never realistically win anything. However, this is what we do. I have an affinity to my local club & come rain or shine I will always be a supporter & as long as I can afford it I will always be a season ticket holder. If everyone in the country all had the same plastic, watch the footie from your armchair mentality that you do, then this would be a Man Utd forum & lets face it football in this country would be screwed & very very boring.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 30 Apr 2009 16:00

Well on its way to being screwed and very boring already.

At least it is in the Hair Band League.

(Sorry, of course I meant the Premier League.)

150 posts