1%
Gunnarson
3%

Total votes: 257
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New Captain Poll

by Royalee » 06 Aug 2009 19:14

So he's vice captain and will more than likely captain the side for most of the season on the pitch while Ingimarsson's club captain like Murty was last year?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 Aug 2009 19:16

Can't even accept when you're wrong...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 06 Aug 2009 19:17

He does have a point though as Pearce will be the on-field captain for the forseeable.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 Aug 2009 19:18

I was wrong in that I thought Pearce'd be club captain this season, but I can see why Ingimarsson's got it as Brendan may want Pearce to focus on the pitch and aid his development without doing all the extra curricular stuff it entails. Given Pearce has been named as vice captain this season and will begin as captain on the pitch I don't believe I've got it 'wrong' though.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 Aug 2009 19:20

Are you here all week?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 Aug 2009 19:22

Wycombe Royal Are you here all week?

Unless he picks up a serious injury, Pearce will wear the armband itself more times than Ingimarsson this season.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Aug 2009 19:30

So Royalee, let me get this absolutely clear so that I can make sure that I don't make this sort of mistake in the future. You say that Alex Pearce will be appointed Club Captain this season. The football club appoint Ivar as Club Captain with young Alex as his apprentice. Therefore, you are right and the rest of the world is wrong.

Did you have anything to do with the election of George W Bush in 2000 and Robert Mugabe at any time in the last 25 years or so?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 Aug 2009 19:31

Royalee

Unless he picks up a serious injury, Pearce will wear the armband itself more times than Ingimarsson this season.

So now this is where I am confused. Rodgers said that his captain is no use to him on the bench, he has to be out on the pitch, which suggests to me he still sees Ingimarsson as starter, unless of course he has changed his opinion on that.

If Ingimarsson isn't going to be a regular then it would have made more sense to name Ingimarsson club captain, and Pearce team captain so as to avoid any confusion (another team announced this setup a couple of days ago).

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 Aug 2009 19:34

Wycombe Royal
Royalee

So now this is where I am confused. Rodgers said that his captain is no use to him on the bench, he has to be out on the pitch, which suggests to me he still sees Ingimarsson as starter, unless of course he has changed his opinion on that.

If Ingimarsson isn't going to be a regular then it would have made more sense to name Ingimarsson club captain, and Pearce team captain so as to avoid any confusion (another team announced this setup a couple of days ago).

Wouldn't that damage morale as Ingimarsson would have a conflict of interests or is that just me being too obvious for you? Ingimarsson will be honoured to be club captain even if he doesn't play and will feel valued right now and Pearce will be happy to be vice captain at this stage in his career. This allows Rodgers to do what he wants without risking disruption of morale. We did pretty much the same thing last season with Murty and Harper as vice captain, even if the choice of personnel for the latter role was fundamentally flawed.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 Aug 2009 19:56

Royalee
Wycombe Royal
Royalee Unless he picks up a serious injury, Pearce will wear the armband itself more times than Ingimarsson this season.

Wouldn't that damage morale as Ingimarsson would have a conflict of interests or is that just me being too obvious for you? Ingimarsson will be honoured to be club captain even if he doesn't play and will feel valued right now and Pearce will be happy to be vice captain at this stage in his career. This allows Rodgers to do what he wants without risking disruption of morale. We did pretty much the same thing last season with Murty and Harper as vice captain, even if the choice of personnel for the latter role was fundamentally flawed.

Do you have to talk down to people? There really is no need for it? And you could also find a sense of humour.

As for the captaincy last season, Murty would have been playing regularly had he not been injured and he had been captain for a number of seasons. As for Harper being vice captain I could have sworn it was Ingimarsson that was Captain in Murty's absence for most of the games until he was injured.

Also you seem to have ignored my comments on what Rodgers said earlier this summer, but that was probably because it doesn't fit your argument.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 Aug 2009 20:10

The ironic mocking upon the announcement wasn't talking down to me then? As for a sense of humour, mine is well and truly intact thanks you just don't amuse me I'm afraid.

If Murty had been first choice when he was fit why was he farmed out to Charlton and only played in a cup match at Cardiff all season?

Thinking back you're probably right about Ingimarsson being vice captain then but he was also injured so Harper was next in line, but the principle remains the same. A 31 year-old slowing centre back won't get a game when we have a new 23 year old £2 million signing and Pearce performing as well as he has in the same position. It's always good to have one or two experienced pros around the club though like Man United do with Gary Neville for example even if they won't play every week and they'll take great honour in attending functions, writing programme notes and all the other little things which eat away at the time of a young professional footballer trying to improve their game. This is what Rodgers has done here and upon consideration I think it's a very shrewd move as Pearce can be groomed in the role on the pitch this season and then made club captain when Ingimarsson's contract is up and he is perhaps moved into coaching with Gunnarsson if they fit.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Aug 2009 20:14

Royalee The ironic mocking upon the announcement wasn't talking down to me then? As for a sense of humour, mine is well and truly intact thanks you just don't amuse me I'm afraid.

If Murty had been first choice when he was fit why was he farmed out to Charlton and only played in a cup match at Cardiff all season?

Thinking back you're probably right about Ingimarsson being vice captain then but he was also injured so Harper was next in line, but the principle remains the same. A 31 year-old slowing centre back won't get a game when we have a new 23 year old £2 million signing and Pearce performing as well as he has in the same position. It's always good to have one or two experienced pros around the club though like Man United do with Gary Neville for example even if they won't play every week and they'll take great honour in attending functions, writing programme notes and all the other little things which eat away at the time of a young professional footballer trying to improve their game. This is what Rodgers has done here and upon consideration I think it's a very shrewd move as Pearce can be groomed in the role on the pitch this season and then made club captain when Ingimarsson's contract is up and he is perhaps moved into coaching with Gunnarsson if they fit.

And to think that there are shitloads of Nobbers who openly criticised Murts for doing PRECISELY that on BBCRB every Monday.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 06 Aug 2009 20:19

Well some on here are pretty short-sighted.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 Aug 2009 20:30

Royalee The ironic mocking upon the announcement wasn't talking down to me then? As for a sense of humour, mine is well and truly intact thanks you just don't amuse me I'm afraid.

The "ironic mocking" as you put it was called sarcasm. If you hadn't been going on about how all your predicitions are right then I wouldn't have needed to.

As for Murty, he was not match fit and was therefore sent out on loan. Rosenior was playing pretty well so there was no place for Murty back in the team. If Murty had been fit at the START of the season he would have been our regular right back.

As for Ingimarsson i have never once said he should be starting (I think it should be Mills and Pearce) I was merely making a comment based on what Rodgers said earlier in the summer on the captaincy and is something which you have still not answered (maybe this will be third time lucky?).

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 06 Aug 2009 20:31

Thought it would be Ivar with Pearce as Vice Captain from the start. Seemed the obvious choice, but I'll admit the talk about Gunnarsson threw me.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 06 Aug 2009 20:58

Hmmmm, I understand why Ivar has been named Captain, but with him still 6-8 weeks away from fitness (3 months match fitness), do we not all think that Pearce & Mills could form a pretty impressive partnership meaning Ivar will struggle to even make the starting 11? Plus how do we know he will come back the same player after such a bad injury????

I would have liked to see Pearce get it & Ivar vice-captain to help him out, because I personally can't see Ivar playing much this season.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 06 Aug 2009 21:39

Terminal Boardom And to think that there are shitloads of Nobbers who openly criticised Murts for doing PRECISELY that on BBCRB every Monday.

He was more critcised for the way he did it as opposed to actually fronting up and facing the music

I think Ivar is the sensible choice. I also think Royalee is right that Pearce will quite possible wear the armband more times than Ivar over the course of the season

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 06 Aug 2009 23:50

Jesus, i dont know who's more of a pcunt

Royalee or Snowball

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 07 Aug 2009 04:15

The big difference between Ingi and Murts is that Ingi is 31 and not 34. 31 is still young enough and Ingi only had serious injury problems last season.

Ingi will have a large role to play for us this year.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 07 Aug 2009 07:19

Not read the previous pages, but a Club Captain is also more of a flag bearing, shining example, gives advice to others, managers right-hand man, ambassador type role. To give Pearce the 'Club' captain role would be daft as he's not got the overall experience. Ivar has all these attributes and Pearce is learning those. Obviously Pearce is show potential on the field with his vocal abilities and organisation skills...pretty much how any captain shows his potential - it's clearly natural to him.

Centre Half is one of the most common positions for a captain, next to Central Midfielder. With Harper likely to be off and not fancying the job anyway, options were limited.

160 posts