Your first game

199 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Your first game

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Feb 2010 21:05

From Despair To Where? v Tranmere 1983/84. We won 1-0 with a late Mark White free kick. Our last home game in Division 4.

I was there. Towards the end of the game the ref plays an advantage for Reading and almost immediately, we lose posession. The South Bank give it the "Who's the oxf*rd in the black?". The ref stops, looks at the South Bank, and points to his chest! The place errupted with laughter. Brilliant spontaneity from the ref and totally difused the situation. Women got in for free that day as well. How frigging sexist does it get?

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 06 Feb 2010 21:23

For those of us that were there in the seventies,dont you think those days were better,more fun and a damn sight more characters?I cant be arsed anymore

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Feb 2010 21:27

ankeny For those of us that were there in the seventies,dont you think those days were better,more fun and a damn sight more characters?I cant be arsed anymore

The days when you went more in hope than expectation. When anything above 5,000 was considered a big crowd. The ever changing scoreboard at the Tilehurst End. Smelly Henry selling Golden Goal tickets.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 06 Feb 2010 21:31

Terminal Boardom
ankeny For those of us that were there in the seventies,dont you think those days were better,more fun and a damn sight more characters?I cant be arsed anymore

The days when you went more in hope than expectation. When anything above 5,000 was considered a big crowd. The ever changing scoreboard at the Tilehurst End. Smelly Henry selling Golden Goal tickets.

That scoreboard was considered Hi Tec then,pity it didnt last long.i thought we "arrived"when that went up,but typical Reading,it soon broke

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Feb 2010 21:33

I'm still arsed.............but you are right Ankeny

Moving on.........does anybody remember a 2-2 draw versus Palace (circa 1986/87 maybe)..........Palace scored their third (and very offside) late into the game (long long before microphone links etc)..........the ref gave it.......the linesman stood his ground and would not shift until the ref came over to speak to him..............the ref then several minutes later disallowed it.

The Southbank broke into a serenade of "we loves you linesman we do's"..........the Palace waited for the Southbank on the Tilehurst Road after the game to argue that fact

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Feb 2010 21:36

ankeny
Terminal Boardom

That scoreboard was considered Hi Tec then,pity it didnt last long.i thought we "arrived"when that went up,but typical Reading,it soon broke

Watching us against Watford in 75/76 (3-0), I looked up at the scoreboard and I swear it had us 9-0 up!

AthleticoSpizz Moving on.........does anybody remember a 2-2 draw versus Palace (circa 1986/87 maybe)..........Palace scored their third (and very offside) late into the game (long long before microphone links etc)..........the ref gave it.......the linesman stood his ground and would not shift until the ref came over to speak to him..............the ref then several minutes later disallowed it.

The Southbank broke into a serenade of "we loves you linesman we do's"..........the Palace waited for the Southbank on the Tilehurst Road after the game to argue that fact

Close, but no cigar! We won that one 1-0. My dad is a palarse fan and I had great fun giving him dogs all the way home. What happened was that the ref gave a pen but after consulting with the linesman, gave us a free kick for offside. Spot on about the South Bank's reaction though.
Last edited by Terminal Boardom on 06 Feb 2010 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 06 Feb 2010 21:39

What about the v Rochdale" goal"even the most avid Royal could say that was in.I wondered what the hell was going on when the ref pointed to the centre circle :D

Hemenbruff Royal
Location: North Reading. Actually very north Reading. Okay, Yorkshire.

by Hemenbruff Royal » 06 Feb 2010 21:44

Versus Bradford City on 14 January 1970. we won one nil (I looked it up). sat in the satnds towards the Tirlhurs Road end of the grounf I can remember some bloke sat behind me shouting 'unload him Dennis' (Allen) every time their winger (Ces Podd) came down the line with the ball.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Feb 2010 21:47

AthleticoSpizz not sure

early to mid 1970's

remember Sunday lunchtime kick-offs (to beat the power-cuts)

remember Ces Podd playing for Bradford

1970 Hemembruff?..............jeeesss...remember it just like yesterday

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 06 Feb 2010 21:50

5-0 FAC 2 v Brentford Dec 1965

Also remember beating Div 1 WBA in Sept 1967 FL Cup 2 in front of 18,910 and getting stuffed 6 or 7 nil by Citeh in FAC 3 replay Feb 1968. Crowd around 25K

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 06 Feb 2010 22:16

Terminal Boardom
From Despair To Where? v Tranmere 1983/84. We won 1-0 with a late Mark White free kick. Our last home game in Division 4.

I was there. Towards the end of the game the ref plays an advantage for Reading and almost immediately, we lose posession. The South Bank give it the "Who's the oxf*rd in the black?". The ref stops, looks at the South Bank, and points to his chest! The place errupted with laughter. Brilliant spontaneity from the ref and totally difused the situation. Women got in for free that day as well. How frigging sexist does it get?

There was a time when referees were directed to go into the dressing rooms before the game to give a 'pep talk' Apparently, in the Jack Mansell era, one ref went in and said simply: " Right lads, I'm a cnut. Now let's get on with the game!"

Do referees today have the same sense of humour?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Feb 2010 22:31

For me it's the mid to late 80's for exactly the same reasons. I suspect it's more to do with that era being your formative years as a supporter.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 06 Feb 2010 23:13

From Despair To Where?

For me it's the mid to late 80's for exactly the same reasons. I suspect it's more to do with that era being your formative years as a supporter.

Definitely. Give it 10-15 years or so, and it's a bit "been there, done that" with most things that happen. The novelty wears off.

I was kind of lucky in the my first game was 2-0 v Newport in 85/65 (not that game, but the home game in March), so I only saw a handful of lower tier games before being whisked up the heady heights of Division 2 and the Simod Cup win the year after that. Remarkably, I got as much out of that promotion as the others, despite having only been a genuine supporter for a couple of months before we went up

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Feb 2010 23:54

90s for me, because that's when I started.
The likes of Shaka, Gooding, Quinn, Parkinson, Morley, Caskey, Wdowczyk, Gilkes & Bernal...

Don't see their like these days :?

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 07 Feb 2010 00:22

First matches - Hearts vs somebody shite at some point in the early 1970s. After a while I wanted to see Hibs (as they played in the top flight unlike Hearts at the time) and then completed the Edinburgh suite by seeing Meadowbank Thistle a couple of times. I knew this was an error at the time but still went anyway.

First match in England was Chelsea v Ipswich in erm 1977 ish, we were going into Stamford Bridge and a copper said "This is no place for youngsters" to my Dad. Went to EP (can't remember who against sorry) the following week and despite paying to watch Ollie Kearns I was not dissuaded from going back. It might have been Richie Bowman that swayed it, I used to think he was fantastic.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 07 Feb 2010 01:23

Terminal Boardom

Watching us against Watford in 75/76 (3-0), I looked up at the scoreboard and I swear it had us 9-0 up!

AthleticoSpizz Moving on.........does anybody remember a 2-2 draw versus Palace (circa 1986/87 maybe)..........Palace scored their third (and very offside) late into the game (long long before microphone links etc)..........the ref gave it.......the linesman stood his ground and would not shift until the ref came over to speak to him..............the ref then several minutes later disallowed it.

13th September 1975
Reading 3 (Barker, Murray, Friday)
Watford 0
Att: 5721
Death, Peters, Moreline, Cumming, Barker, Youlden (Murray), Whitham, Hiron, Friday, Dunphy, Stuckey

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 07 Feb 2010 01:29

bobby m's syrup 5-0 FAC 2 v Brentford Dec 1965

Also remember beating Div 1 WBA in Sept 1967 FL Cup 2 in front of 18,910 and getting stuffed 6 or 7 nil by Citeh in FAC 3 replay Feb 1968. Crowd around 25K

4th December 1965
Reading 5 (Allen, Webb 2, Terry, Evans)
Brentford 0
Att: 10582
Dixon, Neate, Meldrum, Thornhill, Spiers, Evans, Scarrott, Allen, Terry, Webb, Travers

13th September 1967
Reading 3 (Harris 2, Sainty)
WBA 1
Att: 18910
Wilkie, Bacuzzi, Spiers, Meldrum, Chapman, Yard, Allen, Scarrott, Sainty, Collins, Harris

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 07 Feb 2010 01:33

Fluff V Bradford City september/octoberish 1978

3-0 to us, iirc 2 goals for John Alexander and one for Pat Earles

Attendance around 7,500

7th October 1978
Reading 3 (Hetzke, Kearney, Sanchez)
Bradford City 0
Att: 5886
Death, Peters, White, Bowman, Hicks, Bennett, Earles, Hetzke, Kearney, Sanchez, Lewis

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 07 Feb 2010 01:49

AthleticoSpizz
AthleticoSpizz not sure

early to mid 1970's

remember Sunday lunchtime kick-offs (to beat the power-cuts)

remember Ces Podd playing for Bradford

1970 Hemembruff?..............jeeesss...remember it just like yesterday

I remember the wonderfully named Cec Podd playing in this one:

24th March 1974
Reading 0
Bradford City 0
Att: 8065
Death, Henderson, Butler, Wagstaff B. (Habbin), Hulme, Youlden, Freeman, Chappell, Friday, Carnaby, Stuckey

A few weeks earlier, Robin Friday made his home debut in the first-ever Sunday game at Elm Park:

10th February 1974
Reading 4 (Freeman, Carnaby, Friday 2)
Exeter City 1
Att: 5394
Death, Henderson, Butler, Wagstaff B. (Habbin), Hulme, Youlden, Freeman, Chappell, Friday, Carnaby, Stuckey

Bristol Royalz

by Bristol Royalz » 07 Feb 2010 01:54

Reading 0 Bradford City 3 Edinho destroyed us.. It was awful

199 posts