Why not, he would fit right in

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jun 2009 14:34

Huntley & Palmer Why not, he would fit right in

I would hope that he bought his legitimately though!

H-Town Royal

by H-Town Royal » 08 Jun 2009 15:57

Nice watch :roll:

Douche

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 08 Jun 2009 16:00

Rodgers' non-traditional coaching
Posted on: Mon 08 Jun 2009

New Royals manager Brendan Rodgers is very much looking forward to getting into pre-season training with his new squad of players.

Rodgers and his staff begin their training sessions in four weeks' time, and Brendan says he will bring a fresh approach to Hogwood Park.

He said, "I'm really looking forward to the first day of pre-season. I'm not a traditional coach so there won't be a lot of time in the gym or a lot of time just running. :?:

"We had a saying that you don't buy a piano and run around it, you play it. It's the same with a football.

"I'm really looking forward to a non-traditional method of working. It worked with many top players, it worked at Watford and it will be something the players really enjoy.

"I need to become familiar with the people and the surroundings, but I am fortunate because I feel I'm 1-0 up - I know the people and have an identity with the town.

"I will get into the work with Nick in terms of players, contracts and making sure we're ready to run on 6th July."

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 08 Jun 2009 16:22

Arnie_Pie Rodgers' non-traditional coaching
I'm not a traditional coach so there won't be a lot of time in the gym or a lot of time just running. :?:

[/i]

Haha, gutted Harper and S Hunt.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 08 Jun 2009 16:28

I think by traditional, he means that players go off on holiday, have a break from the fitness regime and generally do unhealthy things - therefore when they get back, they have to get themselves back into shape. These days most footballers would be trusted by their managers to keep themselves fit over the summer break....so maybe this is a good thing so they can spend more time over pre-season on the ball work and tactics. :|

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jun 2009 16:31

Harper's technically pretty skilled so it won't bother him. And a lot of the time he spends in the gym is outside training hours doing EXTRA work.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jun 2009 16:34

Thaumagurist* I think by traditional, he means that players go off on holiday, have a break from the fitness regime and generally do unhealthy things - therefore when they get back, they have to get themselves back into shape. These days most footballers would be trusted by their managers to keep themselves fit over the summer break....so maybe this is a good thing so they can spend more time over pre-season on the ball work and tactics. :|

I think he means there won't be much sole fitness work. It will be concentrated on ball skills and playing game related stuff. Fitness can be topped up, but mainly gained from that.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 08 Jun 2009 16:34

My mum said "Isn't he ugly. He's got a really fat nose". :lol:

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 08 Jun 2009 16:35

Harry Carry My mum said "Isn't he ugly. He's got a really fat nose". :lol:

I'm sorry to hear that your mum thinks so highly of you.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 08 Jun 2009 16:45

Harry Carry My mum said "Isn't he ugly. He's got a really fat nose". :lol:

Did she come into your room to tell you that, or was it after she'd cooked your tea?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 08 Jun 2009 18:24

The Rouge I think he looks a bit like Peter Andre's older brother in this one.... :shock:

Latest released photo:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Jun 2009 20:04

New Royals manager Brendan Rodgers is very much looking forward to getting into pre-season training with his new squad of players.

Rodgers and his staff begin their training sessions in four weeks' time, and Brendan says he will bring a fresh approach to Hogwood Park.

He said, "I'm really looking forward to the first day of pre-season. I'm not a traditional coach so there won't be a lot of time in the gym or a lot of time just running. :?:

"We had a saying that you don't buy a piano and run around it, you play it. It's the same with a football.

"I'm really looking forward to a non-traditional method of working. It worked with many top players, it worked at Watford and it will be something the players really enjoy.

"I need to become familiar with the people and the surroundings, but I am fortunate because I feel I'm 1-0 up - I know the people and have an identity with the town.

"I will get into the work with Nick in terms of players, contracts and making sure we're ready to run on 6th July."

Good to read. Focusing on ability on the ball rather than mere fitness, as well as getting the players to enjoy training, is, IMO, a much more effective method.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 08 Jun 2009 22:18

SLAMMED Latest released photo:

FAIL. Epic.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 08 Jun 2009 23:40

Oh well, thats 5 minutes of my life i'll never get back. What a shame.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 08 Jun 2009 23:46

Anyone can talk a good game...he'll be sh!te

Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

by Super_horns » 09 Jun 2009 00:31

Hope you guys give him a chance after all this fuss!

:wink:

Suppose our fans will have something to shout at when you vist if they haven't turned on our new manager by then.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 09 Jun 2009 07:52

You can get fit by playing

You can't get match fit by training.

If you learn to keep possession and make the ball do the work you can tire out the opposition

Of course there must be a level of basic fitness, but jogging round the pitch or
going for a 5 mile X-Country is just basic aerobic fitness, a fat-trimmer etc

Short-burst anaerobic fitness, the ability to clear lactic acid is far more important

skill helps too. if your first touch is better you don't have to chase after he ball!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Jun 2009 08:28

Ideal
PlasticRoyale
I'm not a traditional coach so there won't be a lot of time in the gym or a lot of time just running. :?:

How does he think the players will be able to compete physically if they won't do any physical fitness tranining?
It is simply a ploy to get on the players' good side, but sooner or later we will suffer in the long run if they are not fit enough to compete.
Basicly in modern football you have to a) run more than the others and b) control the ball better/pass it around quicker.

This is illustrated easily if you review the stats of the Manchester United vs Barcelona champions league final.
The Manchester United player who ran the furthest throughout the match: Carrick, 10kms. Their second best, 9kms. (The rest in the same general area.)
The Barcelona player who ran the furthest: 11 kms, two more with similar figures, then the rest at around 10..

Basicly the Barcelona team ran about 10% to 20% further distance alltogether than Manchester Uniteds team were able to. Who won the match?
You simply can not argue with those statistics.
The Arsenal unbeaten side did the same thing a few years ago, they ran further, and they passed the ball faster, closed down the opponents.

If Brendan Rogers thinks we can get away with relaxing the physical excercise levels, then he will fail miserably.
I don't want to shoot this guy down before he has even had a chance, but I have to say these kinds of statements that he just made there with regards to fitness, they leave me with a very sour taste in my mouth, and I am very concerned for the future with him as manager if these statements are a true reflection of what he stands for.

I think people are failing to read the word just in the line "I'm not a traditional coach so there won't be a lot of time in the gym or a lot of time just running."

I am sure there will be an awful lot of time and energy devoted to ensuring the players are at peak fitness. It is just that there won't be a lot of time spent in the gym and it won't just be about running!

The guy employs a sports scientist/fitness coach in his backroom team, that would hardly suggest that he doesn't want to do everything possible to ensure that his players are in the best physical form possible to play the type of football that he believes in and wants to see at RFC! What's more from the little I saw of Brendan Rodgers when he was in charge of the school of excellence, I would say that he really does believe in adopting a holistic approach to the game.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Jun 2009 09:05

Ideal
PlasticRoyale

How does he think the players will be able to compete physically if they won't do any physical fitness tranining?
It is simply a ploy to get on the players' good side, but sooner or later we will suffer in the long run if they are not fit enough to compete.
Basicly in modern football you have to a) run more than the others and b) control the ball better/pass it around quicker.

This is illustrated easily if you review the stats of the Manchester United vs Barcelona champions league final.
The Manchester United player who ran the furthest throughout the match: Carrick, 10kms. Their second best, 9kms. (The rest in the same general area.)
The Barcelona player who ran the furthest: 11 kms, two more with similar figures, then the rest at around 10..

Basicly the Barcelona team ran about 10% to 20% further distance alltogether than Manchester Uniteds team were able to. Who won the match?
You simply can not argue with those statistics.
The Arsenal unbeaten side did the same thing a few years ago, they ran further, and they passed the ball faster, closed down the opponents.

If Brendan Rogers thinks we can get away with relaxing the physical excercise levels, then he will fail miserably.
I don't want to shoot this guy down before he has even had a chance, but I have to say these kinds of statements that he just made there with regards to fitness, they leave me with a very sour taste in my mouth, and I am very concerned for the future with him as manager if these statements are a true reflection of what he stands for.

Jeez, just how much crap can be piled into one post?

Barcelona beat Man Utd because they ran further is right up there with the best I've seen on this board.

1747 posts