New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

by floyd__streete » 01 Jul 2009 13:49

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 73,00.html

Excellent! Can just picture it, a David Brent style power-point presentation as Doyle sits yawning and staring at his watch :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jul 2009 13:57

Yeah great, always good to hear a bit of positive spin from the Master.

Personally, I'd call it another demonstration of the pro-active planning and attention to detail that has created such a reputation in the game for our new manager.

Mourinho would not have suffered Brent style ineffective management techniques.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 01 Jul 2009 14:02

Royal Rother I'd call it another demonstration of the pro-active planning and attention to detail that has created such a reputation in the game for our new manager.

You accuse me of spinning, but that's basically what the official site said :| . Are you capable of forming your own opinions?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jul 2009 14:29

floyd__streete http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1710073,00.html

Excellent! Can just picture it, a David Brent style power-point presentation as Doyle sits yawning and staring at his watch :lol:

I'm sure Doyle can't wait for that!

'Get out.

If you're not gonna make it, yeah'

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Jul 2009 14:32

Agree with AP and floyd. This sounds like a dreadful idea, the kind of thing that can lose you respect among the pros.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 01 Jul 2009 14:57

Arch Agree with AP and floyd. This sounds like a dreadful idea, the kind of thing that can lose you respect among the pros.

Hasn't hurt him so far :|

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 01 Jul 2009 14:58

Arch Agree with AP and floyd. This sounds like a dreadful idea, the kind of thing that can lose you respect among the pros.

Why would it lose the respect of the pros? :|

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 01 Jul 2009 15:30

What are the current players meant to think?

Did he have the same conversation with Lita, Duberry, Murty & Hahnemann ? :|

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jul 2009 15:58

Thaumagurist*

Beats me.

If it's done badly, in a David Brent kind of way, then it would - but he wouldn't have progressed as well as he did in the multi-millionaires' playground that was Chelsea FC under Mourinho, if he didn't handle these sort of interactions with the players very well.

It's a demonstration of modern and progressive management style. Just what will help him, and the club, progress.
Last edited by Royal Rother on 01 Jul 2009 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jul 2009 16:00

Royal Rother
Thaumagurist*

Beats me.

If it's done badly, in a David Brent kind of way, then it would - but he wouldn't have progressed as well as he did in the multi-millionaires' playground that was Chelsea FC under Mourinho, if he didn't handle these sort of interactions with the players very well.

But players that aren't his :| I don't see this making any sense to be honest.

Seems a complete and utter waste of time,that if it can be done in a few hours, may as well be saved in the unlikely return of Kevin Doyle rather than now as he goes to Wolves on a 4 year deal.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 01 Jul 2009 16:03

Alan Partridge But players that aren't his :| I don't see this making any sense to be honest.

Seems a complete and utter waste of time,that if it can be done in a few hours, may as well be saved in the unlikely return of Kevin Doyle rather than now as he goes to Wolves on a 4 year deal.

The transfer window opens today, I believe. So, he isn't officially a Wolves player yet, I think.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 01 Jul 2009 16:04

Thaumagurist*
Alan Partridge But players that aren't his :| I don't see this making any sense to be honest.

The transfer window opens today, I believe. So, he isn't officially a Wolves player yet, I think.

You mean there is still hope that he's staying?, maybe Sir Brendan can give him a slideshow and keep him on.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jul 2009 16:12

AP, look, I'm assuming it will be a good presentation, that an intelligent player like Doyle will be impressed by, so if it plants a seed in his mind about what a progressive club Reading will be under Rodgers, it is entirely likely that he will, at some stage, mention it to other players in the future. Doyle loves Reading FC already, and would not be averse to a return one day if it doesn't work out at Wolves / wherever... why not give him a taste of what the new management is all about.

It's a tiny seed, but one worth planting in my opinion.

Again, if it's crap and embarrassing then it would surely do more harm than good, but I think, with Rodgers' reputation and background, that is highly unlikely.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Jul 2009 16:14

Royal Rother
Thaumagurist*

Beats me.

It's a demonstration of modern and progressive management style. Just what will help him, and the club, progress.
I'll wager he never brought in a departing player for a presentation on his management style when he was at Chelsea. It just seems like the kind of thing that's likely to set the eyes rolling in the dressing room and induce sniggering behind the back.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jul 2009 16:25

Seeing as he wasn't the manager at Chelsea I'd say that was a pretty safe bet.

I'm sure some of the older pros not interested in developing a new approach to the game might well roll their eyes - but most of those have already left.

Oh well, I like his style - whatever, 2009/10 is going to be very interesting.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 01 Jul 2009 16:51

If it was essentially an 'exit interview' and a two way thing it seems a decent idea.

He may well have got a lot of insight from Doyle about the club that he wouldn't get from a continuing player.

If as part of that he cemented Doyle's opinion of the club and where it is heading again, can only be good.

If it was an ego boosting 30 minutes of slides then it would make me very nervous ....

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jul 2009 17:10

Just how likely is 4, as opposed to 1-3...?

Whatever his background, I just don't think JM, NH and (let's not forget) SC would have sanctioned employing someone with a massive ego problem, do you?

jollyjiminy

by jollyjiminy » 01 Jul 2009 19:15

So the club's propaganda machine is spelling out how the new manager is going to sit down with a player who's left the club, and give them a presentation on his management style (and he's got a dossier on it). This is the oddest bit of PR since Gordon Brown's phone call to Simon Cowell to enquire after Susan Boyle's health and welfare.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Jul 2009 20:33

Rodgers shows he's on the ball by speaking to a quality player who's sad to leave but has no choice as it's world cup year about what he wants to do at the club and how he'd love him to come back when he's begun the achieve some of that next season after we get a decent deal for him and in the same day all but ties up a deal for a decent player in Tommy Smith yet he gets ridiculed by some of you geniuses.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 01 Jul 2009 20:39

jollyjiminy So the club's propaganda machine is spelling out how the new manager is going to sit down with a player who's left the club, and give them a presentation on his management style (and he's got a dossier on it). This is the oddest bit of PR since Gordon Brown's phone call to Simon Cowell to enquire after Susan Boyle's health and welfare.

I read it as he had a dossier on Doyle, how he plays and how he can improve his play type thing (which is the main reason I think it's a silly idea. You want to make him MORE of a success at a rival club...? ok, so they're not a rival club THIS season, but soon :wink: )

1747 posts