DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

934 posts
rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Bradley Wright Phillips

by rhroyal » 09 Jan 2011 12:43

RoyalBlue
roadrunner Prefer Craig Mackail-Smith or Aaron Mclean of Peterborough over Wright Philips. However, I doubt we can afford any of those three.

It might be more correct to doubt Madejski's willingness to release funds to secure those players.

Alan Partridge
Royal Lady Signing a striker for £300k and then saying "this is as good as it possibly could have got" just tells you everything about RFC these days tbh.

I'm not knocking the signing per se, just making the point that we wouldn't have been thinking this a few seasons ago.

Thing is though, Plymouth are financially ok then BWP doesn't go for £300k.

Reading have picked up someone that would have cost upwards of £1million for £300k.

If he was worth that much then other clubs would have been outbidding us, regardless of Plymouth's financial position.

If he does the business, and I really hope he does, then great. However, in any other walk of life, Madejski would be the first to point out that, by and large, you get what you pay for. If that wasn't true, then why does he splash out on very expensive cars, rather than going for cheaper versions?!
Bad analogy; cars aren't bought with something to prove and the potential to develop under your guidance. Our transfer record over recent seasons also shows you don't always get what you pay for. Fae and Halford spring to mind; even Mills get criticism frequently sent his way and he's the most expensive player in our current squad. Our only "expensive" successes I've seen are, for 18 months max, Lita and Soel for 2 or 3 months. I'd also call Mills a success overall but not worth what we paid.

BWP will be a good signing and will put pressure on Hunt and Church to start producing the goods. I'm still a little worried that Long now has an automatic first team place for the season which isn't healthy for any player but hopefully the confidence will be enough to help him maintain this current form.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MORE THAN A RUMOUR - Bradley Wright Phillips

by howser » 09 Jan 2011 12:53

As I have said on the rumours thread, irrespective what individual views are on his ability, is it good value ? or again we have gone for the cheap option, if and when BWP signs for us he is then a Reading player and deserves the backing and support of everyone.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 09 Jan 2011 13:33

Good business by Plymouth here, picked up for free sold for £300k 18 months later. Just cant see why folk think he would be worth more if Plymouth were not in the shite? They might want more but thats not the same thing.

Looks to me like McD has a few more deals to do yet, seems to be building his team here, slowly but surely.

Ryan Harley next to come in?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 09 Jan 2011 13:35

Royal Lady I can't see us signing Khiz on a free (unless his wages are low enough for Mr Mad) - he's not even getting in the team at the moment - and would be very expensive cover if he wants Prem standard wages - he'll go to a lower Prem club or someone like Leeds/Cardiff I reckon. Which is a shame if it happens, as I think he's excellent. And, at the moment, I'd play him with Pearce and give Pearce the captain's armband.

Reading the report in The Independant on Sunday, and they reckoned Mills was top drawer against WBA yesterday, always like to see a report from an outsider, often they see it as one game rather than past performance, perhaps Kizz is not for us longer term, if so then teaming Pearce and Mills as the future pairing wouls make a lot of sense.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jan 2011 13:40

Harpers So Solid Crew Good business by Plymouth here, picked up for free sold for £300k 18 months later. Just cant see why folk think he would be worth more if Plymouth were not in the shite? They might want more but thats not the same thing.

Looks to me like McD has a few more deals to do yet, seems to be building his team here, slowly but surely.

Ryan Harley next to come in?

If Austin is worth £1.5m then it's a fair stab to say a valuation for a player who has scored more this year is in the same area, although slightly less.

RB - why would a club need to outbid us, they can bid the same to get the player, we've moved relatively early in the window to get this done before anyone else moves - I can only see positives in this move but if people prefer to look at some sort of negative, enjoy yourselves.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 09 Jan 2011 13:43

Mills and Pearce are looking very good at the back at the moment.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 09 Jan 2011 13:48

have not read the whole thread so feel free to dodd, but i thought id mention apparently we are paying £60,000 every month for 5 months for BWP.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: SPECULATION - Bradley Wright Phillips

by Ian Royal » 09 Jan 2011 13:59

PEARCEY
Snowball
PEARCEY

Not based on starting appearances its not. if you include the times he's come on as sub its 1 in every 4. If its based on starting appearances only its 1 in 3.

57 (31) (62.2) 26 Goals 2006-10 Championship
12 (04) (09.6) 03 Goals 2006-10 Cups

66 (44) 71.8) 29 Goals Playing for CCC clubs a goal every 2.47 games, two seasons for relegation sides

Overall record 86 (45) = 93.5 Games 46 Goals = 1 in 2

Hang on Snowball. I was arguing Church's record is better than 1 in 4 not BWP. :lol: Never mind.

Bugger that's what I thought and I just deleted my post because I got confused and thought you were all talking about BWP after that. :roll:

Much as I hate to say it, Royalee's right. Church's scoring record from starts is acually 1 in 4.75, subs is 1 in 3.87 though which IMO is excellent.

I think if he went on a run of say 10 games starting we'd see his scoring record improve though.

Personally I'm pleased with BWP.

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 09 Jan 2011 14:01

howser As I have said on the rumours thread, irrespective what individual views are on his ability, is it good value ? or again we have gone for the cheap option, if and when BWP signs for us he is then a Reading player and deserves the backing and support of everyone.

You'd like to think so but I suspect the " that's why I haven't renewed my season ticket / can't be bothered to go anymore" brigade on here will hate for hates sake.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 09 Jan 2011 14:13

Harpers So Solid Crew Good business by Plymouth here, picked up for free sold for £300k 18 months later. Just cant see why folk think he would be worth more if Plymouth were not in the shite?

What a strange thing to say.

He's League 1 leading goalscorer, Charlie Austin in second and valued at around £1.5m. I think it's fair to assume that BWP would command a fee of around £1m if Plymouth weren't so desperate for money. £300k is an absolute snip, and although they need that money and fast you can understand why some feel a little short changed.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jan 2011 14:17

Personally I don't get RL's comment. Why would we pay more for the sake of it just to impress people?

If you want to take the car analogy, you don't pick up a sports car for £80k when you can pick up a different one of similar performance quality from a dealership that's in danger of going under and needs to shift stock so the price is £40k.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 09 Jan 2011 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 09 Jan 2011 14:17

Focher have not read the whole thread so feel free to dodd, but i thought id mention apparently we are paying £60,000 every month for 5 months for BWP.

I believe that to be the case as well. They're also due a settlement from a tribunal for a player that left in the summer, and our money per month will further help keep them afloat. The club has assured their supporters they will be able to meet HMRC's £500,000 payment due shortly and still being in one or two loan players.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Jan 2011 15:01

rhroyal
RoyalBlue
It might be more correct to doubt Madejski's willingness to release funds to secure those players.

Alan Partridge Thing is though, Plymouth are financially ok then BWP doesn't go for £300k.

Reading have picked up someone that would have cost upwards of £1million for £300k.

If he was worth that much then other clubs would have been outbidding us, regardless of Plymouth's financial position.

If he does the business, and I really hope he does, then great. However, in any other walk of life, Madejski would be the first to point out that, by and large, you get what you pay for. If that wasn't true, then why does he splash out on very expensive cars, rather than going for cheaper versions?!
Bad analogy; cars aren't bought with something to prove and the potential to develop under your guidance. Our transfer record over recent seasons also shows you don't always get what you pay for. Fae and Halford spring to mind; even Mills get criticism frequently sent his way and he's the most expensive player in our current squad. Our only "expensive" successes I've seen are, for 18 months max, Lita and Soel for 2 or 3 months. I'd also call Mills a success overall but not worth what we paid.

BWP will be a good signing and will put pressure on Hunt and Church to start producing the goods. I'm still a little worried that Long now has an automatic first team place for the season which isn't healthy for any player but hopefully the confidence will be enough to help him maintain this current form.

No, good analogy. We need someone who can perform now. We haven't got time to pimp the ride. What's more there is a limit to how much you can improve something that is bought cheap, comparitively old and with a somewhat dubious record of reliability. If you want to develop then Austin is likely to be a better investment but once again, Madejski fails to deliver despite the Sig windfall.

So I state again, as Madejski is well aware, in the majority of cases you do get what you pay for. At best we've taken a comparitively cheap punt on something that might come good given time but is less likely to provide the quality when we need it i.e. now.

roadrunner
Harpers So Solid Crew Good business by Plymouth here, picked up for free sold for £300k 18 months later. Just cant see why folk think he would be worth more if Plymouth were not in the shite?

What a strange thing to say.

He's League 1 leading goalscorer, Charlie Austin in second and valued at around £1.5m. I think it's fair to assume that BWP would command a fee of around £1m if Plymouth weren't so desperate for money. £300k is an absolute snip, and although they need that money and fast you can understand why some feel a little short changed.

Once again, if BWP was that good, more clubs would have been fighting to sign him, which would have driven up the price, regardless of Plymouth's financial situation.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jan 2011 15:13

Not necessarily, we deal on the quiet and have put our bid in and should tie the deal up - moving quick can save you money, which we have done here. In the past people have moaned that we don't move til the end of a window, and then when we do they still moan - ridiculous frankly.

We are buying the top scorer in League 1 - the sort of signing clubs in our position should be very happy to make. The fact that we have got him on the cheap makes this deal better not worst. He has also shown ability at this level which is more than Austin ever has, so it does make better sense in that way as it is actually less of a risk that he can perform at this level. Football is littered with players who scored well at lower levels and then failed to impress when they moved up.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jan 2011 15:13

It's a poor analogy - cars only depreciate in value and don't improve in performance at all, if anything it degrades over time. You get exactly what you buy at the time. That isn't the case with people, or footballers.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 09 Jan 2011 15:16

Well Barnsley and Blackpool are both trying to sign him apparently, its just they've made five figure bids...

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 Jan 2011 16:26

He is a decent player, would love it if we can get Austin in aswell though.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 09 Jan 2011 16:43

Dont know why this hasnt been announced yet, he must've had a medical by now?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 09 Jan 2011 17:02

howser is it good value ? or again we have gone for the cheap option

This seems like a false dichotomy.
, if and when BWP signs for us he is then a Reading player and deserves the backing and support of everyone.

Can't argue with that.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 09 Jan 2011 17:03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-xoceCyOg&NR=1&feature=fvwp

for 300k, he is a good signing looking at this vid. Pretty much a natural finisher with good ball control in key areas.

934 posts