Hob Nob Regular

Re: The official Portugal 2012 thread - Sponsored by Nando's

by who are ya? » 25 Jul 2012 20:12

Yoof Yoof Yoof

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Jul 2012 21:08

reading_fan Back this afternoon having been out for the first two games.

Sat, v Quarteirense
First half good in patches, Shorey looking like his old pre-England call up self - good going forward, solid defensively. Mariappa looked fairly solid. Guthrie the stand out performer by a mile, pinging balls from wing to wing (especially to Kebe) and some nice through balls to play in Roberts, and was well complemented by Tabb doing his dirty work for him. Second half, Hartey scored a wonderful free kick, just off the right edge of the D looking at the goal, and swung it round the wall in to top corner - unstoppable. We looked good then, a bit of confidence, and created all the chances but it wouldn't quite fall for us. Hunty looked lively when he came on, and Jobi was quite effective through the middle with Ledge. The goal we conceded was a ball swung round the back of the back four from our right back position and a combination of slow to come out, their guy a mile offside (quote from BMc after the game) put him in one on one and he slotted in bottom corner. D'Ath looked quite good as the game went on and he got a bit of confidence from game time, could be quite a good player potentially.

The trouble came from a group of pissed up youfs who tried to hop the fence before the match (10 euros in...), then spent most of the half time trying to get down the tunnel to chat to the subs, a couple invaded the pitch after we scored, and were a general nuisance to the local coppers for the whole game. When the one copper had enough as one lad tried to hop the fence onto the pitch again and fairly forcefully ushered him back, the youf in question shoved the copper in the face. The stuff outside was a continuation of that inside the ground, and was ignited when one of the lads threw a plastic cup of beer at the team coach and the coppers then took exception to that so batton charged them. Shocking and embarrassing doesn't even come close to how moronic they were.

Tues, v Sheff Wed
Two halves, two teams, two formations. Chatting to Tim Dellor before the game, Fedders was knackered after a particularly over zealous game of tennis with Anton in the morning and a half hour outfield cameo in the staff v press match at lunchtime. As for the game itself, Mariappa was probably the pick of the new guys, although McCleary looked useful supporting the front three of Hunt, Roberts and Church. Hunt looked a little lost as to whether he was supposed to be playing as part of a front three or a midfield four, worked hard, but was our most effective wide man, putting in some good crosses. Guthrie again looked good, but not quite to the same extent as in the previous match. Wednesday's goal came with literally the last kick of the first half, and the best move of the half to switch the ball from right wing through the middle and some neat interplay put in their centre forward to score low in the bottom left corner. Second half was nearly all Sheff Wed and we only had sporadic patches of the game. Not much really happened second half, barring Morrison (I think) dawdling on the ball facing his own goal as last man, having the ball nicked off him and their centre forward going through one on one - Andersen making a good first save to nick the ball off the guy's foot as he tried to round him but a supporting Wednesday player rattled the ball into the bottom corner with about 3 mins left. Pretty disjointed performance overall, neither eleven really looked settled with the mix of formations and personnel. Stand out player second half was the Pog, who has the proverbial "good feet for a big man" and looks a real touch of class when he gets the ball to feet - big, strong, good link up with Alfie at times.

Overall from the two games I was impressed by Pog and Guthrie, and Mariappa looks good too. Sharpness looks pretty good, but just lacking a little bit round the box. Two good tests for the boys as well, a slower physical game against the locals, and then an obviously more English style kick and rush game against Sheff Wed, but we tried to rise above it and pass through them, but as previously mentioned a bit more composure round the box needed.

Thanks for the write up, it's an interesting read... although your description of Quarteirense's goal is somewhat different to what I saw on the highlights.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Jul 2012 22:16

reading_fan The trouble came from a group of pissed up youfs who tried to hop the fence before the match (10 euros in...), then spent most of the half time trying to get down the tunnel to chat to the subs, a couple invaded the pitch after we scored, and were a general nuisance to the local coppers for the whole game. When the one copper had enough as one lad tried to hop the fence onto the pitch again and fairly forcefully ushered him back, the youf in question shoved the copper in the face. The stuff outside was a continuation of that inside the ground, and was ignited when one of the lads threw a plastic cup of beer at the team coach and the coppers then took exception to that so batton charged them. Shocking and embarrassing doesn't even come close to how moronic they were.

Actual rofl

If you're who I think you are then I'd just like to place on record what a sad individual I find you to be. Go disappear back up STAR's arse or wherever it is you came from as not seen you on a pre-season tour before? :lol:

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 25 Jul 2012 22:27

Big Foot
reading_fan The trouble came from a group of pissed up youfs who tried to hop the fence before the match (10 euros in...), then spent most of the half time trying to get down the tunnel to chat to the subs, a couple invaded the pitch after we scored, and were a general nuisance to the local coppers for the whole game. When the one copper had enough as one lad tried to hop the fence onto the pitch again and fairly forcefully ushered him back, the youf in question shoved the copper in the face. The stuff outside was a continuation of that inside the ground, and was ignited when one of the lads threw a plastic cup of beer at the team coach and the coppers then took exception to that so batton charged them. Shocking and embarrassing doesn't even come close to how moronic they were.

Actual rofl

If you're who I think you are then I'd just like to place on record what a sad individual I find you to be. Go disappear back up STAR's arse or wherever it is you came from as not seen you on a pre-season tour before? :lol:

If reading_fan's description of events is anywhere near accurate then maybe you should take a long hard look at your own behaviour and grow up a little. I don't think you are in a position to criticise others' behaviour (from waht I remember of your pissed-up antics on the Slovenia tour I was on). There is a fine line between enjoying yourself and being a total ar*e, and you seem unable to avoid crossing that line.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Jul 2012 22:31

Why let the facts get in the way of a good story hey?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 25 Jul 2012 23:26

Big Foot Why let the facts get in the way of a good story hey?

Might want to consider sharing those 'facts' as at the moment you just look like you're trashing the guy who has given what appears an open opinion of what happened.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 25 Jul 2012 23:28

And let's face it, clubs only arrange these kind of tours for people to go abroad and get lashed up, so it's pretty much RFC's fault

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Jul 2012 23:56

cmonurz

Might want to consider sharing those 'facts' as at the moment you just look like you're trashing the guy who has given what appears an open opinion of what happened.

What goes on tour etc etc m8

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 26 Jul 2012 09:57

Sat, v Quarteirense
First half good in patches, Shorey looking like his old pre-England call up self - good going forward, solid defensively. Mariappa looked fairly solid. Guthrie the stand out performer by a mile, pinging balls from wing to wing (especially to Kebe) and some nice through balls to play in Roberts, and was well complemented by Tabb doing his dirty work for him. Second half, Hartey scored a wonderful free kick, just off the right edge of the D looking at the goal, and swung it round the wall in to top corner - unstoppable. We looked good then, a bit of confidence, and created all the chances but it wouldn't quite fall for us. Hunty looked lively when he came on, and Jobi was quite effective through the middle with Ledge. The goal we conceded was a ball swung round the back of the back four from our right back position and a combination of slow to come out, their guy a mile offside (quote from BMc after the game) put him in one on one and he slotted in bottom corner. D'Ath looked quite good as the game went on and he got a bit of confidence from game time, could be quite a good player potentially.

D'Ath didn't play, I don't think he's in Portugal, he was certainly on the pitch at Basingstoke a couple of hours before this one kicked off ;) did you mean Obita?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 26 Jul 2012 10:19

Wimb

Sat, v Quarteirense

D'Ath didn't play, I don't think he's in Portugal, he was certainly on the pitch at Basingstoke a couple of hours before this one kicked off ;) did you mean Obita?
Can't take this chap seriously when he's making basic errors like this.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 26 Jul 2012 10:20

who are ya? And let's face it, clubs only arrange these kind of tours for people to go abroad and get lashed up, so it's pretty much RFC's fault

@boyhunt

Nearly game time prematch meal was decent!! Heard there is a lot of reading fans out here! Wonder how burnt and drunk they are hahaha!!#Fans

:wink:

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 26 Jul 2012 10:30

Wimb

Sat, v Quarteirense

Yes sorry, it must have been Obita, although I thought I heard shouts of "Laws" and "Lawson" from team mates when he was on the ball - must have been "Jordan". Must admit I didn't recognise the player to look at.
Last edited by reading_fan on 26 Jul 2012 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 26 Jul 2012 10:35

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 26 Jul 2012 10:37

cmonurz

I don't know any of the lads involved in the incidents that I have described so I have no agendas against individuals I am trying to push here, just describing what I saw. BF is welcome to give his side of the story if it so vastly different to what I have written here?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 26 Jul 2012 10:39

reading_fan
Wimb

Sat, v Quarteirense

Yes sorry, it must have been Obita, although I thought I heard shouts of "Laws" and "Lawson" from team mates when he was on the ball - must have been "Jordan". Must admit I didn't recognise the player to look at.

Lol, you know D'Ath is white, right?

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 26 Jul 2012 10:41

I do now :oops:

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 26 Jul 2012 11:00

They don't look or play at all similar to be fair. Right footed centre mid vs Left footed winger.

Thanks for the summary of events, hearing good things about Guthrie from those out there. Sad to hear about people being tossers. I probably fall almost in the "yoof" age group but if you can't get pissed up in the sun without causing trouble for people, you need to grow up, frankly.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 26 Jul 2012 11:32

reading_fan
cmonurz

I don't know any of the lads involved in the incidents that I have described so I have no agendas against individuals I am trying to push here, just describing what I saw. BF is welcome to give his side of the story if it so vastly different to what I have written here?

Things like this quickly descend into "tit" for "tat" - not interested. We both know what we saw. Not sure you can describe it "shocking" and "moronic".

All I'll ask is - how many people were injured? How many people were arrested?

34 fans arrested at Lisbon v Wednesday - that's shocking and moronic.

Number 9

by Number 9 » 26 Jul 2012 12:34

I've always found Reading_Fan's observations to be accurate. Except when it comes to player identification, of course.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 26 Jul 2012 13:36

A friend in Portugal was at the first game and said all he saw was a few hop over the fence and then one run onto the pitch after we scored. Police dealt with both incidents well and were fair and gave them a second chance. Not as bad as the Wednesday fans by any means.

235 posts