Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

464 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Danny Guthrie - Refusing To Travel

by Silver Fox » 12 Dec 2012 08:31

Maguire I can't believe people on here are backing Guthrie over Brian McDermott and Reading Football Club.

Your head's not right? Stop acting thecunt, get on the damn bus and start earning your wages. Guthrie can absolutely do one as far i'm concerned.

^this, I managed to read three pages of these pcunts last night before I had to stop before I threw my phone out the window. God forbid I was evr as badly treated as this 35k a week lobster eating twat

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 12 Dec 2012 08:35

Silver Fox
Maguire I can't believe people on here are backing Guthrie over Brian McDermott and Reading Football Club.

Your head's not right? Stop acting thecunt, get on the damn bus and start earning your wages. Guthrie can absolutely do one as far i'm concerned.

^this, I managed to read three pages of these pcunts last night before I had to stop before I threw my phone out the window. God forbid I was evr as badly treated as this 35k a week lobster eating twat

Who believe it or not, seems to like football. If we was in it for the money, he'd simply comply. McD has lost the plot, the club pin the blame on Guthrie (our new scapegoat), and the public just gratefully believes this.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Dec 2012 08:41

Someone else alluded to this but surely if Guthrie simply refused to fulfil his contract by not going to the game then it is a straightforward breach of contract for which the club could sack him if they wanted to.

Thankgodisfriday

by Thankgodisfriday » 12 Dec 2012 08:45

Unbelievable, a player who earns 1.8 million per year doesnt want to travel!!!!

Rumours say Pearce wont accept 25 K per week and wants 40k per week!

Everytime we go up, the big time Charlies swing into action

If this is the Premier then get me out of here

PS and by the way your all doing a good job at that

Mr.T10

by Mr.T10 » 12 Dec 2012 08:48

My head wouldn't be right to play/travel either when you have two headless chickens before you. Yes Guthrie should be have travelled due to we pay his wages but Guthrie can only ask why bother coming to Dubai to sign me and not even play me? Absolute joke!

McDermott is just using Guthrie as a scape goat to his inability to manage at this level.

"Everyone has got to be going in the same direction, that's really, really important for me as a group, and we have had that for a period of time."

Which way is that Brian Route 1 to the Championship?

Leave when you still have some dignity. A legend still in my eyes of what you have done but if we want the club to progress and be a prem team, we need change.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 12 Dec 2012 08:57

Mr.T10 Guthrie can only ask why bother coming to Dubai to sign me and not even play me? Absolute joke!

Idiot. No player is guaranteed a place in the starting eleven. They have to work for it. What has Guthrie done to earn that?

Crotts

by Crotts » 12 Dec 2012 09:01

Just because Brian should be playing Guthrie but chooses not to, doesn't make it right not to travel to the match. Guthrie is paid an astronomical wage by any of our standards and should act professionally. I'm sure he is frustrated at not being picked as although he is no Lionel Messi, he is one of the few Premiership quality players Reading have. When McDermott said that Guthrie would have been involved last night, what he meant was, that he would be sitting on the bench. The problem for Reading in January will now be that as any interested clubs will know that Reading are desperate to get rid of him so they can pretty much get him for next to nothing.
I fear that this season is going to go down as a monumental failure in Reading's history, which is a shame as it offered us the real chance to build a base, admittedly low, but at least a Premiership base to build on in the coming years. McDermott has been too loyal to a squad of mid Championship ability and lacked the courage when money was offered to have a wholesale clear out of players who had no earthly chance of succeeding at this level.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 12 Dec 2012 09:02

SpaceCruiser
Mr.T10 Guthrie can only ask why bother coming to Dubai to sign me and not even play me? Absolute joke!

Idiot. No player is guaranteed a place in the starting eleven. They have to work for it. What has Guthrie done to earn that?

Not at lot beyond behaving like a petulant child.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Dec 2012 09:03

akranes
Silver Fox

Who believe it or not, seems to like football. If we was in it for the money, he'd simply comply. McD has lost the plot, the club pin the blame on Guthrie (our new scapegoat), and the public just gratefully believes this.

Jesus christ, if it's, so much about the football for him you'd think he'd be doing his utmost to get a game wouldn't you?

Mr.T10

by Mr.T10 » 12 Dec 2012 09:04

Ideal
Mr.T10 My head wouldn't be right to play/travel either when.....sign me and not even play me? Absolute joke!
McDermott is just using Guthrie as a scape goat
"Everyone has got to be going in the same direction, that's really, really important for me as a group, and we have had that for a period of time."

What the hell is wrong with you? Have you been huffing glue?
Is it then your opinion, that any player who does not play for whichever reason, should be allowed to throw a massive tantrum and refuse to sit on the bench?
If that indeed is your opinion, then we would have a huge oxf*rd chaos on our hands.

And why do you believe it is a negative thing, to expect the players to pull in the same direction, as a team? You must be the biggest oxf*rd idiot on here! YES! You are worse than Royalblue!

I said he should have gone up... But Guthrie has been treated unfairly. What is the bleeming point in signing a player and don't bother using him? That is using him in his best position as well. I will be pissed off if someone who is quite clear unable to do his job get ahead of me, again and again especially after I get told that I will be a first team regular; Guthrie would have been told that just to get him on board as that’s what he wanted the most. Yes he has to earn but what has McDermott done to let him?

Well currently that is a negative thing because we are on route to going down... Is that the direction you want to go? Because than you can O*ford off!
McDermott has got many things wrong, not dropping players quick enough, not picking the right tactic and just constantly "hoping", hope is a fool’s game. Yes we have been unlucky in our first run of fixtures, injuries and some bad Ref decisions but not saying we have not had any decisions in our favour. If we want a slight glimmer of hope either McDermott swallows his pride and players our best players or leave when you still have you head still high.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2012 09:05

Silver Fox

Yeah, we give him lots of money so he MUST be happy and grateful and do whatever he's told despite how he is treated/managed :roll:

This is why depression amongst footballers is a growing issue.

And yeah yeah I know..I'm a c*nt...

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 12 Dec 2012 09:07

I’ve said it from the start, he’s a bad egg and having characters like him and Federici this season really hasn’t helped our cause. One of our strengths under BM has always been team spirit and I suspect having people like Guthrie in there has contributed to the breakdown of that.

I don’t really give a shiny one whether Guthrie or anyone else thinks that he should be in the team, I think it’s clear his attitude has stunk from early on. Based on his performances at the start of the season, he’s certainly nowhere near as good as he believes he is anyway.

I can't actually believe some people think Guthrie is justified in his actions.

Mr.T10

by Mr.T10 » 12 Dec 2012 09:10

[quote="southbank1871"]

I don’t really give a shiny one whether Guthrie or anyone else thinks that he should be in the team, I think it’s clear his attitude has stunk from early on. Based on his performances in a position he neither likes or good at at the start of the season, he’s certainly nowhere near as good as McDermott believes as a CAM
quote]

Changed it for you.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2012 09:12

southbank1871 I’ve said it from the start, he’s a bad egg and having characters like him and Federici this season really hasn’t helped our cause. One of our strengths under BM has always been team spirit and I suspect having people like Guthrie in there has contributed to the breakdown of that.

I don’t really give a shiny one whether Guthrie or anyone else thinks that he should be in the team, I think it’s clear his attitude has stunk from early on. Based on his performances at the start of the season, he’s certainly nowhere near as good as he believes he is anyway.

When you're made promises that have persuaded you to leave a club like Newcastle it's not unreasonable to expect those to be fulfilled.

We aren't even close to knowing the full story here, so how anyone can write him off as a bad egg and a twat based on a 1 minute interview with an underpressure manager is beyond me.

Besides, nobody is saying that his actions were the right thing to do, just that there can be blame apportioned to both sides here.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 12 Dec 2012 09:17

This is starting to look and feel a lot like 2007-8 when we went down. Players refusing to play, big signings not feeling that they are getting a chance, blind faith in personnel and systems which aren't working. A feeling that this league, it's personalities and finances are just too much for us.

If you listen to the BBC interview (link posted earlier) McD genuinely sounds sincere, saddened, very emotional and (sadly) out of his depth.

It seems that Guthrie texted to apologise (which suggests that the fault lies with him, but who knows).

The reaction to last night is pivotal. I honestly don't think McD will get the push or walk. He needs to get everyone in a conference room somewhere today (away from Hogwarts), behind closed doors, and thrash out what is going wrong. There are senior players in the team who need to have their say, and clearly some people who need to explain their actions. I would also include some of the "injured" players in there. Clear the air. Regroup. And if necessary tell some characters to get with the program or stay away pending a compromise agreement or January move.

The one thing I felt we would be this season is hard to beat and honest, and that this would make up for a lack of talent. Our work ethic is being undermined by all sorts of issues, which is leaving our lack of talent totally exposed. Whatever factions there are within the team need addressing head on. We can't "move on" from last night's white flag without it.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Dec 2012 09:22

winchester_royal When you're made promises that have persuaded you to leave a club like Newcastle it's not unreasonable to expect those to be fulfilled.

We aren't even close to knowing the full story here.

What promises?

I thought he was perdsuaded to leave Newcastle by his contract there ending?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2012 09:23

Ideal
winchester_royal
southbank1871 I’ve said it from the start, he’s a bad egg and having characters like him and Federici this season really hasn’t helped our cause. One of our strengths under BM has always been team spirit and I suspect having people like Guthrie in there has contributed to the breakdown of that.

When you're made promises that have persuaded you to leave a club like Newcastle it's not unreasonable to expect those to be fulfilled.

We aren't even close to knowing the full story here, so how anyone can write him off as a bad egg and a twat based on a 1 minute interview with an underpressure manager is beyond me.

Besides, nobody is saying that his actions were the right thing to do, just that there can be blame apportioned to both sides here.

What the oxf*rd do you know about promises? You don't know jack shit, and you are inventing this rubbish to protect your little lovechild Guthrie.
I am sick and tired of these turds on this forum trying to justify Guthrie's actions!
The man is a oxf*rd cancer on our team and we need to cut him off, bloody hell, what is wrong with you people?!
He's been causing a fuss for MONTHS on end now, have you failed to notice?!??

Because that's what I've heard
Aww boo hoo
Cancer on our team? He's not even stepped foot on a pitch for the last 2 months
And yeah I have failed to notice. From what I can see he's been dropped for 2 poor players, and been injured.

You don't have a clue what's go on behind closed doors, and neither do I, so reserve your pathetic little judgement until both sides of the story are clear.

F*ck me, I wouldn't want to be tried in an HNA court.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 12 Dec 2012 09:23

Silver Fox
winchester_royal When you're made promises that have persuaded you to leave a club like Newcastle it's not unreasonable to expect those to be fulfilled.

We aren't even close to knowing the full story here.

What promises?

I thought he was perdsuaded to leave Newcastle by his contract there ending?

He was offered a new one.

Reading West

by Reading West » 12 Dec 2012 09:34

Unfortunately the writing was on the wall when Guthrie tweeted about McD wanting him to change his style of play when he was initially dropped, indicating we had a player who most probably won't tow the line. I have been told that the first sign of madness is doing something the same way and expecting something different to happen, which seems to be McD attitude to the team especially in CM which seems to be the epicentre of our problems is which needs changing but he's seems to be hoping that Legs is going to wakeup from his seemingly nightmare, and start to string two passes together, perservering with him and leaving Guthrie on the bench. Gooding said on Radio Berkshire on Sat after McD did his usual in the 70th odd minute in taking off Tabb and moving MacNuff in CM, that after that took place Guthrie must've been thinking to himself "I'm not wanted here" .

Even though I do sympathise with Guthrie, as it seems that McD may still have an issue with him on past issues, it is inexcusable not to want to travel with the team, no player has a God given right to play in the team, no matter how badly the team is playing, he is an professional player and should act as one, a prospective club who may want to buy him in Jan may think twice due to his actions thinking if they are taking on a "problem player".

I am suprised also that all this is seemingly playing out in the open, and I must question McD man management skills here, McD always says Guthrie has a part to play this season, I sometimes wonder if a simple chat between the two in the early stages (say both of them going for a drink after training)of this could've taken place with McD putting an arm around him saying he knows how eager he is to get on and he will soon could have the chance could have sorted the issue out.

Different players take being dropped in different ways and it is up to the manager to deal with that player appropriately many times you can't deal with all the players the same way due to different personalities. It maybe too late for Guthrie at Reading but both himself and McD must learn from this experience especially McD or this may not be the last time such an incident may happen

murof

by murof » 12 Dec 2012 09:36

He would definitely have got a game because we didn't have any recognisable players on the bench. How bad can the club get when you can't get together enough players to fill the bench, yet have one of your possible first team players not wanting to play?
I'm not sure if BM making comments about Guthrie directly to the press were some sort of effort to distract from his recent performance as manager
I'm not convinced Guthrie is the man to save our season, but we really needed players last night, and unfortunately even though I don't think we should get rid of BM, its a bit difficult to keep listening to his post match comments without thinking he sounds like the chancellor of the exchequer with no plan-B and no real clue how to turn things around

464 posts