Why wont the club tell us the truth?

196 posts
Once were Biscuitmen

Re: Why wont the club tell us the truth?

by Once were Biscuitmen » 05 Sep 2013 09:25

Latecomer to RFC I just want someone at the club to tell us they have no real desire to be in the PL. This would then explain their behaviour to new signings last year and to the txfer window,

I was very critical of Brian McD last season as he was blamed for not bringing in new players by AZ but I suspect now he had no choice. Sounds strange and disloyal but I hope we continue not to win (and lose) games which will create more unrest and just maybe show the management how upset fans are.

As I said elsewhere the fact that Palace have taken 16 new players including Kebe (sad loss for me) tells me they are serious about staying up. No sign of that committment when we went up.

Just be up front with us RFC !! We can they make a decision to stay as fans or move our loyalty to a club with real desire.

How is this in anyway a surprise?

Reading FC have always followed the principle of sustainable growth and never indulged in the sort of spending that could risk the financial viability of the business.

This Premiership season will once again see at least one of the relegated clubs financially crippled for 3-5 years as they struggle to survive in the Championship following year.

It is more important that Reading FC continues to exist, grow, and be part of the community than to be in the Premier league.

Please do, 'move our loyalty to a club with real desire' if you cannot understand basic economics or accept this approach. I expect Chelsea are a good, soul-less bet for the next few years.

Latecomer to RFC

by Latecomer to RFC » 05 Sep 2013 09:53

I'm no economist but I would have though RFC would have been better staying up in the PL last year even if it meant buying some players and/or changing managers than slipping down into Championship. As I have said to RFC I blame inept management on this. But maybe we're better off financially in the Championship? What do I know?

Still that's all water under the bridge now. In the words of Brian McD "we move on!"

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 05 Sep 2013 10:38

Once were Biscuitmen
Latecomer to RFC I just want someone at the club to tell us they have no real desire to be in the PL. This would then explain their behaviour to new signings last year and to the txfer window,

I was very critical of Brian McD last season as he was blamed for not bringing in new players by AZ but I suspect now he had no choice. Sounds strange and disloyal but I hope we continue not to win (and lose) games which will create more unrest and just maybe show the management how upset fans are.

As I said elsewhere the fact that Palace have taken 16 new players including Kebe (sad loss for me) tells me they are serious about staying up. No sign of that committment when we went up.

Just be up front with us RFC !! We can they make a decision to stay as fans or move our loyalty to a club with real desire.

Reading FC have always followed the principle of sustainable growth and never indulged in the sort of spending that could risk the financial viability of the business.

This Premiership season will once again see at least one of the relegated clubs financially crippled for 3-5 years as they struggle to survive in the Championship following year.

Perhaps they just dont know how to do it? I.e Pog???

It is more important that Reading FC continues to exist, grow, and be part of the community than to be in the Premier league.

Please do, 'move our loyalty to a club with real desire' if you cannot understand basic economics or accept this approach. I expect Chelsea are a good, soul-less bet for the next few years.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 05 Sep 2013 10:39

Once were Biscuitmen

Perhaps they just dont know how to do it? I.e Pog???

Perhaps they just don't know how to do it? i.e. Pog

Latecomer to RFC

by Latecomer to RFC » 05 Sep 2013 10:54

I am a ST holder for the 2nd year running so will continue to go and support RFC but currently just feel a bit deflated. Maybe it's coz my cousin supports Palace that there's a touch of envy :cry:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 05 Sep 2013 10:57

Who did you support before, Latecomer :?:

I keep meaning to make a decent fist of supporting someone else tbh, a local non league team basically.

Latecomer to RFC

by Latecomer to RFC » 05 Sep 2013 11:08

Green Who did you support before, Latecomer :?:

I keep meaning to make a decent fist of supporting someone else tbh, a local non league team basically.

No one really apart from Dad (no longer with us) supporting Arsenal so a degree of loyalty there. Got into supporting RFC due supporting teenage sons playing footie at the weekend and then going to watch RFC. Don't get me wrong - still get a buzz from going to RFC matches but can't help thinking last years failure to invest was inept. Dropping out of the PL purely from a business point of view would seem to me to be a big no no :o

Looking forward to the Brighton match and more so Leeds for obvious reasons.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Sep 2013 11:26

Latecomer to RFC I'm no economist but I would have though RFC would have been better staying up in the PL last year even if it meant buying some players and/or changing managers than slipping down into Championship. As I have said to RFC I blame inept management on this. But maybe we're better off financially in the Championship? What do I know?
Still that's all water under the bridge now. In the words of Brian McD "we move on!"

Not a great deal apparently.

Apart from when selling the silverware to stay financially viable without an owner with deep pockets, we've always made a loss in the Championship. We made a profit in our first two PL seasons. Ergo, we are better off finacially in the PL. The way we are run anyway.

People have accused the club for over a decade of not wanting to get promoted to the PL. If that's the case, how come we have had three play off campaigns, including one play off final, two championship titles and three PL seasons? That's pretty massive incompetence if you're trying to stay in the Championship.

Latecomer to RFC

by Latecomer to RFC » 05 Sep 2013 11:32

Apart from when selling the silverware to stay financially viable without an owner with deep pockets, we've always made a loss in the Championship. We made a profit in our first two PL seasons. Ergo, we are better off finacially in the PL. The way we are run anyway.

so why didn't we invest more to stay up?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 05 Sep 2013 11:35

didnt have enough money to attract the quality of players we required?

Latecomer to RFC

by Latecomer to RFC » 05 Sep 2013 11:40

appreciate that but as said elsewhere on another thread the financial benefits of staying in the Premier League are enormous. Presumably the club were not prepared to take the risk in case it didn't work out? It would be nice to know but probably never will. Frustrating isn't it!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Sep 2013 11:43

Latecomer to RFC

so why didn't we invest more to stay up?

Partly because we got it wrong and partly because promotion came sooner than we could reasonably have planned, so the full resources and plan wasn't in place yet. Hammond should have pushed for more spending and better players. McDermott should have pushed for more spending and better players. Anton should have pushed for more spending and better players. But they all got a little complacent.

It is absolutely clear we made large bids in January and were quite close to signing a big name. Close is no cigar, but the intent is there. This doesn't come from the club in at least one case iirc, it came from Spurs. Anyone who wants to write that off as a PR exercise, well I've got no time for them as that's conspiracy theory blinkered stupidity.

Latecomer to RFC

by Latecomer to RFC » 05 Sep 2013 11:51

Do you think RFC look at this forum and note the comments expressed?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 05 Sep 2013 11:53

I don't think it takes a genius to work out this transfer window has been a PR disaster for Reading Football Club.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Sep 2013 12:01

Latecomer to RFC Do you think RFC look at this forum and note the comments expressed?

When they want a laugh at all the ignorant plebs, probably. I doubt they pay much attention, but they'd stupid not to keep an eye on it.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 05 Sep 2013 12:14

Just shows up the normal RFC explanation over the last few transfer windows, the manager has funds but we are not going to spend very much. Translate this for Coppell, Rogers, McD from the recent past and it explains a whole lot about the RFC approach, funds are there but just not enough to get the really good players, bargains please. Oh dear no bargains around this season, just muddle through then and we'll tell everyone that you had funds to spend but chose not to spend them.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 05 Sep 2013 12:44

I am a ST holder for the 2nd year running so will continue to go and support RFC but currently just feel a bit deflated. Maybe it's coz my cousin supports Palace that there's a touch of envy

Well don't feel deflated. Next season after they are relegated and we beat them 3-0 at the Madstad, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Latecomer to RFC

by Latecomer to RFC » 05 Sep 2013 12:47

Pandoras Box
I am a ST holder for the 2nd year running so will continue to go and support RFC but currently just feel a bit deflated. Maybe it's coz my cousin supports Palace that there's a touch of envy

Well don't feel deflated. Next season after they are relegated and we beat them 3-0 at the Madstad, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

LOL :D

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 05 Sep 2013 16:39

Thank God some of you don't work for the club, or any other business.

Try rearranging the following words

'Obvious
Bloody
Stinking'

SINCE1964

by SINCE1964 » 05 Sep 2013 17:02

Having followed the team for 49 years ( mostly 3 & 4th division dross) and never expecting to see them in the Premiership in my lifetime,the last decade or so has been awesome.
However, although my expectations are far lower than newer fans, even I think last season was a massive missed opportunity.
With the ridiculous amount of money available to clubs this season in the Prem a "gamble" on staying up would I believe have given us a real chance of cementing our position in the top flight as Southampton appear to be doing.Unfortunately I am becoming one of the moaners that up to now I have despised. Oh well, see you at the next match

PS I thought Yeovil game was awful and got sun burnt!

196 posts