BFTG QPR

217 posts
melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG QPR

by melonhead » 11 Nov 2013 12:47

And I'm fully behind the idea of Guthrie being bad because he's being put under alit of pressure by the oppo, isn't being helped much by his fellow players and is possibly injured. I'm jot slagging him off or h8ing him. Hes clearly our most important player, and probably our POS so far.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 11 Nov 2013 12:50

Tredder Classic fans in the East Stand, especially the bloke that threw his coat off remonstrating to a few QPR fans after we'd scored, especially as he was sat with his son of about 4, but as always, good before, good after, average in between.

Were you wearing a white zip-up tracksuit top? If so, you've put w8 on m8.

^ the irony police have been alerted to this comment, tbf.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 11 Nov 2013 12:55

melonhead And I'm fully behind the idea of Guthrie being bad because he's being put under alit of pressure by the oppo, isn't being helped much by his fellow players and is possibly injured. I'm jot slagging him off or h8ing him. Hes clearly our most important player, and probably our POS so far.

You clearly don't understand what he is meant to be doing, and also letting things & stuff cloud your judgement at the same time. Then probably other stuff as well.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 11 Nov 2013 13:03

TBM
Tredder Pretty average game, Guthrie had a very good game as did Pog, does the horrible work no one else likes doing, McCarthy should at the very least be one of the 3 England squad keepers.

For us, like him or not, Barton is class, Benny had a good game as did Hoilett and Philips, although the latter does more step overs than he runs metres, shame Junior was virtually a bystander for the last 15, as was probably the one player to win it for us.

Classic fans in the East Stand, especially the bloke that threw his coat off remonstrating to a few QPR fans after we'd scored, especially as he was sat with his son of about 4, but as always, good before, good after, average in between.

'greed re Barton, thought he looked superb in the midfield and is too good for this division. I think BAE is also too good for this division, although he didn't close McCleary down well enough for the goal.

I was sat there looking at your squad and if you don't win it this year then something is wrong. I mean you sub off Jenas and on comes Kranjcar :shock:

Agreed - QPR have got to be shoe-ins for the title.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Nov 2013 13:29

Handsome Man
Victor Meldrew When you line up a wall you don't expect your right-back to turn away and create a space.
Gunter really should have taken one for the team.

He lined up the wall to take one post and should have been able to cover the other post himself. If a fantastic shot goes up-and-down into the top right corner of his goal, you just have to accept it and say well done to the scorer, but this was nothing like that - it was passed into the massive empty space he left, like a carefully taken penalty. Blaming Gunter is just scapegoating.

Yep. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I ws right in line with it and called his poor positioning before the free-kick was even taken. Weird that professionals can get it so wrong tbh.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Nov 2013 13:34

Sanguine I like Obita – lots of promise even if he is a bit raw still. Good pace and looked comfortable on the ball. Same problem as above however – on the two occasions in the second half that Obita beat his man and got the by-line (great to see, not enough of this in our team since GMac seems allergic to it), Jordan crossed the ball only to find there was no-one in the box at all.

Yep, I think physically and technically he's as good as any an English 19 year old around atm, but he doesn't even come close to using his attributes efficiently yet. Too often he'd try and cross the ball without finding that yard of space needed to first. Not sure he has the confidence to take his man on regularly, which is a shame because when he does he normally ends up beating him.

Decision making comes with experience though. Hopefully the fans will be a lot more patient with him than they were up in Sheffield (where tbf he was poor).

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 Nov 2013 13:43

Maguire
Handsome Man
Victor Meldrew When you line up a wall you don't expect your right-back to turn away and create a space.
Gunter really should have taken one for the team.

He lined up the wall to take one post and should have been able to cover the other post himself. If a fantastic shot goes up-and-down into the top right corner of his goal, you just have to accept it and say well done to the scorer, but this was nothing like that - it was passed into the massive empty space he left, like a carefully taken penalty. Blaming Gunter is just scapegoating.

Yep. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I ws right in line with it and called his poor positioning before the free-kick was even taken. Weird that professionals can get it so wrong tbh.

Exactly what i said too

"this is going in, McC is hidden behind the wall - look at the gap"

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 11 Nov 2013 13:57

winchester_royal
Sanguine I like Obita – lots of promise even if he is a bit raw still. Good pace and looked comfortable on the ball. Same problem as above however – on the two occasions in the second half that Obita beat his man and got the by-line (great to see, not enough of this in our team since GMac seems allergic to it), Jordan crossed the ball only to find there was no-one in the box at all.

Yep, I think physically and technically he's as good as any an English 19 year old around atm, but he doesn't even come close to using his attributes efficiently yet. Too often he'd try and cross the ball without finding that yard of space needed to first. Not sure he has the confidence to take his man on regularly, which is a shame because when he does he normally ends up beating him.

Decision making comes with experience though. Hopefully the fans will be a lot more patient with him than they were up in Sheffield (where tbf he was poor).

More importantly it looks as though Adkins is showing great patience with him.
He seems to have been around for ages as a prospect and without exceptional pace he will have to develop more guile in his game and ,as you imply, at the moment too many crosses are blocked.
A player who wouldn't have got a look-in if we were still in the Premier League but his inclusion (despite Jobi being fit) must give other young players hope.

Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

by Westwood52 » 11 Nov 2013 14:07

Having been to the game and honestly thought we should have just about won the three points-got around to see the televised version yesterday afternoon and if anything QPR probably should have just about nicked it-strange how you get a totally different perspective from when you are actually at the game. I gave McCarthy a 5 when I got home but having seen the TV game thats a bit harsh-but he has to improve his kicking. Gunter definitely ducked out on the free kick-which is pretty gutless.If we are going to get promoted we def need our three Summer signings back quickly and firing on all cylinders. Given the money rumours-there will be no January signings short of a cut price LB.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 11 Nov 2013 14:14

TBM
Maguire
Handsome Man

Exactly what i said too

Yep - said the same at the time, too. Gunter's position in the wall is to protect Alex's right side of the goal (left, facing it), not the far post - that's McC's job.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 11 Nov 2013 14:52

Not our game but felt posting this was necessary.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 11 Nov 2013 15:06

floyd__streete
Tredder Classic fans in the East Stand, especially the bloke that threw his coat off remonstrating to a few QPR fans after we'd scored, especially as he was sat with his son of about 4, but as always, good before, good after, average in between.

Were you wearing a white zip-up tracksuit top? If so, you've put w8 on m8.

^ the irony police have been alerted to this comment, tbf.

Not me boss, possibly not possible anyway.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 11 Nov 2013 15:12

wingnut
TBM
Maguire Yep. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I ws right in line with it and called his poor positioning before the free-kick was even taken. Weird that professionals can get it so wrong tbh.

Exactly what i said too

Yep - said the same at the time, too. Gunter's position in the wall is to protect Alex's right side of the goal (left, facing it), not the far post - that's McC's job.

Beg to differ. I believe the wall was lined up with completely the opposite in mind and that was why McCarthy was stood more towards his left of his goal. If it was lined up to protect his right then it was completely wrongly positioned and I don't believe any of our keepers would have got it that wrong.

However, regardless of which side of the goal the wall was aligned to protect, it is a fact that if Gunter had not turned away the ball would have hit him rather than the back of the net. Therefore completely right to blame him, rather than McCarthy for conceding the goal. Take one for the team, even if it hurts!

And, as I said at the outset, I generally like Gunter as a player and think he is often unfairly criticised.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Nov 2013 15:35

soggy biscuit
melonhead And I'm fully behind the idea of Guthrie being bad because he's being put under alit of pressure by the oppo, isn't being helped much by his fellow players and is possibly injured. I'm jot slagging him off or h8ing him. Hes clearly our most important player, and probably our POS so far.

You clearly don't understand what he is meant to be doing, and also letting things & stuff cloud your judgement at the same time. Then probably other stuff as well.

:lol:
mostly the other stuff

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Nov 2013 15:37

Mostly.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 11 Nov 2013 15:59

floyd__streete
handbags_harris Gunter himself did extremely well on the whole up against Hoilett but his performance wasn't exactly flawless. Take the countless throw-ins gifted straight to QPR, as well as the Johnson effort near the end which flew wide - he chose to stand fully two yards off him 10 yards out and allowed an instinctive finisher an unhindered shot on goal. Lucky ladders Mr Gunter!! Then there were the two or three occasions when he got far too close to Johnson and allowed him to spin in behind him.

^ This. Gunter is an accident waiting to happen with his poor positional play and ball watching.

Our throw-ins were terrible all game but I would't necessarily fault the takers (Kelly and Gunter).
There was barely any movement at all from the midfield.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Nov 2013 16:25

RoyalBlue Beg to differ. I believe the wall was lined up with completely the opposite in mind and that was why McCarthy was stood more towards his left of his goal. If it was lined up to protect his right then it was completely wrongly positioned and I don't believe any of our keepers would have got it that wrong.

Have a look at the YouTube link I posted up before. It starts with a great view of the wall lined up covering the post to McCarthy's right (maybe someone could post up a screenshot of the opening view which shows the wall in the right place).

The Goat was fed

by The Goat was fed » 11 Nov 2013 16:36

I actually blame Assou-Ekotto for their goal. He pushed Guthrie to disrupt the wall, but didn't push him far enough to get the ball. Terrible defending from a so called left-back.

I'm sort of a mish-mash of what everyone has already said. Pog superb, McCarthy excellent bar kicking, midfield good going forward - don't win enough ball. HRK is not a centre-forward, it's frankly embarrassing that we've got both Sharp and Le Fondre on the bench and play a left winger upfront. Just play Alfie - he might not contribute to all-round play, but he will get a goal from just being in the right place. HRK doesn't do either.

Has Mr Adkins played the same team in consecutive appearances this year? Consistency is so important at this level.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Nov 2013 16:56

Wasn't the free kick that led to the equaliser fairly central? Probably the worst place to defend as the keeper will line up the wall to defend one side and he looks after the other. Anyone remember this from a few years back (2.45 onwards) http://youtu.be/9Vyz1NqssIE

That said, it was hit with plenty of accuracy and pace.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Nov 2013 16:59

It was pretty central yes, I think Guthrie and Gunter were part of a split wall so that McCarthy could see through it, but with all the pushing on that end it's hard to tell really. The main wall was certainly covering McCarthy's right though.

217 posts