Back from the game ..... charlton

174 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the game ..... charlton

by Ian Royal » 04 Dec 2013 18:42

winchester_royal Not saying that Jobi is a bad player. Far from it, he's turned into a very dependable and steady member of the squad, but he's getting on a bit and doesn't sparkle enough to justify the short sighted strategy that it would be to keep Obita out of the team.

FTR though if Williams is injured for Saturday's game, then as far as CM options go

The ageing McAnuff >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The 'developing' Hope Akpan

Don't think anyone is saying forget Obita. But for a short term solution with Bridge out and our form slumping Jobi is a good go to guy to steady the ship and get things moving again. Obita will definitely get more chances and would be a good bet off the bench too

If Williams is injured I think we'll need 3 in the centrs. Akpan can't be trusted and jobt obita and tshibola all are worryingly lightweight to play there in a two.

yappy

by yappy » 04 Dec 2013 22:52

Think people are being a little harsh on McAnuff. His finishing aside, I thought he had a solid game. Whilst Obita is the future, I don't think he's really done that much in the games he's started to justify a starting spot just yet.

ItsAdzy

by ItsAdzy » 04 Dec 2013 22:58

Contrary to most I actually think Church was one of their better players. Stretched our defence with his runs/movement and showed plenty of running, yes he wasn't great for us and his finishing definitely needs some work but he has scored six in all comps this season for Charlton (one more than pav and equal with alf). So slate him all you like but after seeing the quality of the service he was getting last night he could score plenty more playing in a better team.

Also the pen looked stonewall from where I was sitting.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 05 Dec 2013 07:59

ItsAdzy Contrary to most I actually think Church was one of their better players. Stretched our defence with his runs/movement and showed plenty of running, yes he wasn't great for us and his finishing definitely needs some work but he has scored six in all comps this season for Charlton (one more than pav and equal with alf). So slate him all you like but after seeing the quality of the service he was getting last night he could score plenty more playing in a better team.

Hi Gylfi!

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 05 Dec 2013 09:30

ItsAdzy Contrary to most I actually think Church was one of their better players. Stretched our defence with his runs/movement and showed plenty of running, yes he wasn't great for us and his finishing definitely needs some work but he has scored six in all comps this season for Charlton (one more than pav and equal with alf). So slate him all you like but after seeing the quality of the service he was getting last night he could score plenty more playing in a better team.

I thought he was largely ineffective. Exactly the same as he was at Reading over a number of years

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 05 Dec 2013 09:40

Did anyone see Blackman knock Adkins glasses off in while he was waiting to come on? Very funny. At first I thought he was angry but then saw Adkins laugh and pick up his glasses.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 Dec 2013 12:40

winchester_royal Agreed with Zac on this one. Could understand Jobi getting the nod over Obita last night for fitness/cover related issues, but dropping Obita permanently would be a real backward step imho. McAnuff has done little this season to put himself above Obita and given their respective ages it would be a very short termist decision.

Team selection for a match generally is a short termist decision.

Plus it's a long season and a squad game so he's not exactly going to get dropped "permanently". Adkins has now said it was so Obita could cover LB if we got an injury in the back four which seems fair enough.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 05 Dec 2013 12:40

3points Cummings did well after a slightly shaky start.
Worth noting for those who were not there that Cummings was playing out of position at Left Back with Kelly on the right.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 05 Dec 2013 12:41

paddy20 Did anyone see Blackman knock Adkins glasses off in while he was waiting to come on? Very funny. At first I thought he was angry but then saw Adkins laugh and pick up his glasses.
1000 hobnob points to anyone who finds video footage of this.

The Royal We

by The Royal We » 05 Dec 2013 13:14

Agreed. He was tidy enough and took some nice touches. Someone said he should easily have had a hatrick. WTF?! He had one good chance, which he should have scored (although good save from McCarthy).

Seems like he's doing OK for them. He wasn't great for us, but was a product of our academy and always appeared like a nice lad who was trying his best. I wish him well.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 05 Dec 2013 13:33

Royal Biscuitman
3points Cummings did well after a slightly shaky start.
Worth noting for those who were not there that Cummings was playing out of position at Left Back with Kelly on the right.

And Kelly was bloody terrible again. Cummings did well out of position and deserves to keep his place. Gunter straight back in at right-back as well!

Harrydog

by Harrydog » 05 Dec 2013 13:48

And Kelly was bloody terrible again. Cummings did well out of position and deserves to keep his place. Gunter straight back in at right-back as well!

not sure what game you were at but Kelly was one of out better players.
they were constantly raiding down his side second half as McCleary didnt track back, and i dont remember them getting past him.
he didnt offer anything going forward but his main job is to keep them out and he did that.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 05 Dec 2013 16:07

I think Obita was rested because the manager realised Charlton were a poor team and thought we could cope against them without Obita in the side.... it worked out in the end and maybe we'll be better for it when Obita next plays.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 05 Dec 2013 18:52

Royal Biscuitman I think Obita was rested because the manager realised Charlton were a poor team and thought we could cope against them without Obita in the side.... it worked out in the end and maybe we'll be better for it when Obita next plays.

Adkins has said that he was keeping Obita back as defensive cover. We were down to our last 4 recognised defenders so Adkins said he had planned to bring Obita on as left back if any of those 4 were injured.

174 posts