Strangely optimistic about next season.

288 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Strangely optimistic about next season.

by floyd__streete » 16 May 2016 12:24

Makes me laugh, the insistence that McDermott should simply be dispensed with because Nigel Pearson would somehow crawl over broken glass to manage Reading FC. We'd end up with Steve Cotterill FFS.

donface
Hob Nob Regular
Location: doing favours for some guys who look like tusken raiders

by donface » 16 May 2016 12:34

Surely we can now all agree that Pearson massively underachieved at Leicester.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 May 2016 13:07

floyd__streete Makes me laugh, the insistence that McDermott should simply be dispensed with because Nigel Pearson would somehow crawl over broken glass to manage Reading FC. We'd end up with Steve Cotterill FFS.

Keep laughing then mate cos until it does, we aren't winning anything

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 16 May 2016 13:28

John Smith
floyd__streete Makes me laugh, the insistence that McDermott should simply be dispensed with because Nigel Pearson would somehow crawl over broken glass to manage Reading FC. We'd end up with Steve Cotterill FFS.

Why not? It's not like McDermott has never won a championship title before, is it. Why wouldn't he be able to do it again this time?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 May 2016 15:04

Top Flight
John Smith

Why not? It's not like McDermott has never won a championship title before, is it. Why wouldn't he be able to do it again this time?

I'll let the 2nd half of the season explain that one

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 May 2016 15:11

I'm personally reserving judgement on McDermott for after the Summer, when he's had a chance to build his own team.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 May 2016 15:16

tidus_mi2 I'm personally reserving judgement on McDermott for after the Summer, when he's had a chance to build his own team.

How about you personally keep your opinions to yourself then mate?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 16 May 2016 16:42

John Smith

Enjoy Steve Cotterill then.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 16 May 2016 18:06

John Smith
tidus_mi2 I'm personally reserving judgement on McDermott for after the Summer, when he's had a chance to build his own team.

How about you personally keep your opinions to yourself then mate?

:|

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 16 May 2016 18:13

John Smith
Top Flight
John Smith Keep laughing then mate cos until it does, we aren't winning anything

I'll let the 2nd half of the season explain that one

+1

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 16 May 2016 18:21

I reckon many posters looking to oust Brian are STH.

I also suspect that come the first home game of the season, they won't be shouting 'Brian Ooout'. They'll be sat merrily clapping along :lol:

Because a) they will get shouted down by the actual SUPPORTERS of this football club and b) they know deep down the guy deserves longer.

So do cheer up. don't go ruining your summer holidays Haters x
Last edited by royalp-we on 16 May 2016 18:25, edited 2 times in total.

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 16 May 2016 18:22

royalp-we I reckon many posters looking to oust Brian are STH.

I also suspect that come the first home game of the season, they won't be shouting 'Brian Ooout'.

Because a) they will get shouted down by the actual SUPPORTERS of this football club and b) they know deep down the guy deserves longer.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 16 May 2016 18:33

Well he's had 6 months to assess what he has and as we know, results got worse - how long do you give him next season for things to start improving?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 16 May 2016 19:18

So the man our fans want to replace McDermott with is Nigel Pearson? The Nigel Pearson who nearly got Leicester relegated?

His only achievement of note is buying the Championship title, and even that took him as long as it took McDermott to win it for us in less favourable circumstances.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 May 2016 20:09

SCIAG So the man our fans want to replace McDermott with is Nigel Pearson? The Nigel Pearson who nearly got Leicester relegated?

His only achievement of note is buying the Championship title, and even that took him as long as it took McDermott to win it for us in less favourable circumstances.

That's an odd assessment of Pearson's career.

He won the league with Leicester, with some decent investment yes, and then led them to a 14th position finish in the Premier League. I think you have to give him a lot of credit for turning round their fortunes and winning so many games in the last few months of the season which set them on the way to winning the Premier League this season.

Before that he'd also won League One with Leicester and into a Championship play offs.

He's not someone I think is a likely Reading manager though.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 17 May 2016 08:16

SCIAG So the man our fans want to replace McDermott with is Nigel Pearson? The Nigel Pearson who nearly got Leicester relegated?

Ranieri made only very minor changes to the team and staff that Pearson built and won the Premier League. I think that suggests he must be taken seriously.

He may come across as a bit of a twāt, but he has a very impressive track record.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 May 2016 09:07

I put this somewhere else but it seems more apt here.

When Brian McDermott was sacked as Reading manager (29 games) we had four points more than Nigel Pearson's Leicester had at the same stage last season.

True Facts.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 May 2016 09:45

John Smith making a late run for worst nobber of the season here

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 17 May 2016 10:08

No Fixed Abode

Well he's had 6 months to assess what he has and as we know, results got worse - how long do you give him next season for things to start improving?

depends on the budget and plan

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 May 2016 10:20

genome John Smith making a late run for worst nobber of the season here

Thanks mate but SCIAG won it long ago

Vision I put this somewhere else but it seems more apt here.

When Brian McDermott was sacked as Reading manager (29 games) we had four points more than Nigel Pearson's Leicester had at the same stage last season.

True Facts.

They are true facts, but you're comparing Reading in the Championship to a newly promoted Leicester City in the Premier League, which ended up finishing a very respectable 14th under Pearson.

Maybe we will do a Birmingham City and stave off relegation next season with a hashed-together squad and build on that? You have to give them credit for where they are now after being 2-0 at Bolton with one foot in League One. A squad made almost entirely of loans at one point but a very good manager worked with limited resources.

288 posts