Official RFC Clownovic Day. The protest thread

338 posts
Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Official RFC Clownovic Day. The protest thread

by Elm Park Kid » 04 Feb 2022 09:48

I'm surprised that so many disagree with the whole concept of a fans protest? The point is to make it clear to owners that you're unhappy and that you want change - that you're not just going to keep turning up and giving them money.

Unfortunately there aren't too many wholesale changes that can be made right now. But an obvious one is getting a new manager and frankly they've been guilty of negligence for not making the change already. This is now worse when Stam had to go.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 04 Feb 2022 09:49

RG30 Good luck to those protesting. If it gets Pauno out of a job it can be considered nothing but a success.

It will only be a success if the person replacing him keeps us up.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Feb 2022 10:08

Sanguine
NathStPaul
Sanguine Remarkable number of fans who just want to make Paunovic feel like shit. I know my view isn't a popular one, but I find it odd.

I think if he had shown an ounce of humility and contrition it would be a bit different, he has brought a lot on this himself by talking complete nonsense and consistently making the same mistakes over and over again. There doesn't appear to be any desire from his side to change his ways so it has left the supporters with no alternative but to go for him. When you lose to a National League North side and then 7-0 at home you have to expect some flack if you choose to remain as manager.

What I will say is I have seen a lot of references made to his nationality on social media. "Serbian fraud" "the Serbian" etc etc. There is absolutely no need to mention his nationality or the fact he is a foreign manager, it is cheap and moderately offensive. Attack his tactics, attack his post-match comments all you like but lets leave where he is from alone, no need for it.

I think he has done what 98% of managers would do - try to talk up the team, tactics, approach, keep things as positive as possible. It might be naive of him, or unrealistic, but I think we're getting into silly season if we start talking about 'humility and contrition' - he owes us nothing, and certainly has nothing to apologise for, he is, as any manager would be, trying his best.

I remember Stam and Gomes being quite humble and honest and likeable. Maybe the 2 percent.

How can a man who is paid big bucks to manage a bunch of talented multimillion pound players who represent this town have “nothing” to apologise for when they deliver results that humiliate us nationally? He owes us doing his job properly and he has everything to apologise for if he can’t. Trying his best would be listening to criticisms too, which have been made to his face publicly.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Feb 2022 10:12

We have not been 'humiliated nationally', it's just some football results. Appreciate I'm coming at this from a different angle, and amount of botherment, than many. Gomes, yeah, I'll give you that. I don't think Stam was any less motivational of the players though, especially when things got difficult in his second season. It's what managers do.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Feb 2022 10:14

Dixie Norm
Millsy Sensible points and I totally support Dai overall, but I absolutely cannot agree with the conclusion of "let's just get behind the team".

When I started the ""action ASAP" thread several weeks ago I only put the "get behind the team" option as a tongue in cheek obvious stupid option to guide people to what I thought was the only reasonable option. Sort of like the obligatory obvious ridiculous answer in a multiple-choice exam.

We're in a critical situation and Pauno must go. That, right now is the one thing that unifies us all and cuts through the nebulous haze of fans' differing opinions on various other aspects of the club.

People are conflating the urgent situation and its obvious potential remedy (PAUNO OUT) with other issues going on. Tilehurst End article does a good article on it.

The answer to "We don't know what we're protesting, what a mess!" isn't "let's not protest at all. Let's just support everyone". It's "Let's know what we're protesting and focus on that"

PAUNO OUT!

Yep, I expect there will probably be some stuff against the owners but I think most of it will be aimed towards Pauno. Get some beers, get down there and see what happens

I suspect you’re probably right. There’ll be a as much diversity of placards, chants etc as there is here and a large bunch of that will be anti-Pauno so yeh just turn up and protest.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Feb 2022 10:15

Elm Park Kid I'm surprised that so many disagree with the whole concept of a fans protest? The point is to make it clear to owners that you're unhappy and that you want change - that you're not just going to keep turning up and giving them money.

Unfortunately there aren't too many wholesale changes that can be made right now. But an obvious one is getting a new manager and frankly they've been guilty of negligence for not making the change already. This is now worse when Stam had to go.

I don't think people disagree with the concept. It's the lack of clarity on what's being protested. I saw someone from C1871 correcting J-Low that it wasn't a protest against the ownership. Well make that clear then. What are they actually protesting? If it's two hours of PAUNO OUT, then cool. But there needs to be some kind of direction otherwise it'll just be a shambles. Which would actually be quite fitting.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 04 Feb 2022 10:19

Pepe the Horseman
Elm Park Kid I'm surprised that so many disagree with the whole concept of a fans protest? The point is to make it clear to owners that you're unhappy and that you want change - that you're not just going to keep turning up and giving them money.

I don't think people disagree with the concept. It's the lack of clarity on what's being protested. I saw someone from C1871 correcting J-Low that it wasn't a protest against the ownership. Well make that clear then. What are they actually protesting? If it's two hours of PAUNO OUT, then cool. But there needs to be some kind of direction otherwise it'll just be a shambles. Which would actually be quite fitting.

Yeah this.

Whoever leads Club 1871 should have been the singular face of the protest and then the fan groups should have fallen behind that message. Don't give opinions or variations, just retweet or share the messages from the leader of the protest. One universal message.

Sadly there are some people who are seemingly in this for themselves, one fan account owner in particular is making it all about him as per usual.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Feb 2022 10:23

Sanguine We have not been 'humiliated nationally', it's just some football results. Appreciate I'm coming at this from a different angle, and amount of botherment, than many. Gomes, yeah, I'll give you that. I don't think Stam was any less motivational of the players though, especially when things got difficult in his second season. It's what managers do.

Stam clearly said when he was asked if he was to blame and should go that he understands and will take any decision that comes his way. That’s what I remember from it anyway. Just came across as honest. The impression Pauno gives isn’t that. It could just be the way he speaks but people have a different perception it seems of his approach.

Re: humiliation I’m genuinely astonished you don’t think so. If losing to national league team in the FA cup, being the talk of the papers nationally is not a national humiliation, what is? If then succumbing to a crushing home defeat 7-0 ( seven nil) is also not humiliating again what is?? When I have northern mates I’ve not spoken to in months calling up from Newcastle, Preston, Cheshire etc laughing about my club and town.. that’s national news. Everyone knows about it. It’s not just a locally reported event. How on earth can those results not be nationally humiliating? For a club with a fancy stadium that believes it should get back into the PL soon as well. I’d laugh at us.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Feb 2022 10:28

Millsy
Sanguine We have not been 'humiliated nationally', it's just some football results. Appreciate I'm coming at this from a different angle, and amount of botherment, than many. Gomes, yeah, I'll give you that. I don't think Stam was any less motivational of the players though, especially when things got difficult in his second season. It's what managers do.

Stam clearly said when he was asked if he was to blame and should go that he understands and will take any decision that comes his way. That’s what I remember from it anyway. Just came across as honest. The impression Pauno gives isn’t that. It could just be the way he speaks but people have a different perception it seems of his approach.

Re: humiliation I’m genuinely astonished you don’t think so. If losing to national league team in the FA cup, being the talk of the papers nationally is not a national humiliation, what is? If then succumbing to a crushing home defeat 7-0 ( seven nil) is also not humiliating again what is?? When I have northern mates I’ve not spoken to in months calling up from Newcastle, Preston, Cheshire etc laughing about my club and town.. that’s national news. Everyone knows about it. It’s not just a locally reported event. How on earth can those results not be nationally humiliating? For a club with a fancy stadium that believes it should get back into the PL soon as well. I’d laugh at us.

There is a club every year that loses to a National League/L2 team in the FA Cup, it just always happens.

Yes, we lost 7-0 at home, but Fulham have scored 6 against Birmingham, 6 against Bristol City, 7 against Blackburn, 5 passed Huddersfield and scored 4 against Birmingham (to go along with the 6 already), QPR, Forest and Barnsley.

Fulham scoring a lot of goals against someone, isn't exactly unique to us.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Feb 2022 10:29

Like I said, different angles, I don't tend to get 'humiliated' by my team's results. Reading will be shit more often than they are good (my first season watching Reading was our final one at Elm Park, when we were truly shocking and boasted a statuesque Ray Houghton in midfield). I trust that Paunovic is trying, and I think that his media stuff is typical of a relatively inexperienced coach. I don't personally need a manager to say 'sack me if you want'.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Feb 2022 10:31

Hendo
Millsy

There is a club every year that loses to a National League/L2 team in the FA Cup, it just always happens.

Yes, we lost 7-0 at home, … isn't exactly unique to us.

And those clubs are also humiliated.

I didn’t say we’re the only club ever to have been humiliated.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Feb 2022 10:39

Millsy
Hendo
Millsy

Yes, we lost 7-0 at home, … isn't exactly unique to us.

And those clubs are also humiliated.

I didn’t say we’re the only club ever to have been humiliated.

Are they though? It might raise a slight chuckle when you see it on the results on the Saturday, but 24 hours later it is pretty much forgotten. I only knew they put 6 past Birmingham and Bristol City, because the games came immediately after us and the media were going on about how many goals they had scored in their last 3 games, the others I had to look up.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2022 11:37

Sanguine What about if we literally can't afford to pay him off?

His contract runs to the end of the season. If we cannot afford to pay him off, we flat cannot afford to pay him.

The max a pay off should be is the rest of his contract, possibly settled for less. Why would we pay him more for being shit and to leave?

Same for his staff.

Can we afford to replace him? Well we've just lost Cabral, Puscas and Moore for Hein and Ince. There has to be a saving there.

So we probably can't get anyone expensive, but it doesn't mean we can't promote within or get someone cheap.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2022 11:40

Sanguine Remarkable number of fans who just want to make Paunovic feel like shit. I know my view isn't a popular one, but I find it odd.

Seems fair given how shit he's made us feel.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Feb 2022 12:06

I don't really understand why Pauno is having to bare the brunt of a protest either. We've been woeful for a month and desperately out of form, but why does that warrant a protest? Teams go through woeful form like ourselves, hence why we are at the bottom, but to honestly protest against the manager isn't something I'd get behind. It's the decisions made by the club that should be protested against.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Feb 2022 12:09

Snowflake Royal

He hasn't. The team/squad/management/owners have. If you really want to get that depressed about it. This just amounts to taking the piss out of the guy who has to front it all up.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Feb 2022 12:09

YorkshireRoyal99 I don't really understand why Pauno is having to bare the brunt of a protest either. We've been woeful for a month and desperately out of form, but why does that warrant a protest? Teams go through woeful form like ourselves, hence why we are at the bottom, but to honestly protest against the manager isn't something I'd get behind. It's the decisions made by the club that should be protested against.

Entitlement. This protest is embarassing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Feb 2022 12:10

Sanguine
Snowflake Royal

He hasn't. The team/squad/management/owners have. If you really want to get that depressed about it. This just amounts to taking the piss out of the guy who has to front it all up.

Yep. Boo hoo. He could always resign.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Feb 2022 12:10

Snowflake Royal
Sanguine What about if we literally can't afford to pay him off?

His contract runs to the end of the season. If we cannot afford to pay him off, we flat cannot afford to pay him.

The max a pay off should be is the rest of his contract, possibly settled for less. Why would we pay him more for being shit and to leave?

Same for his staff.

Can we afford to replace him? Well we've just lost Cabral, Puscas and Moore for Hein and Ince. There has to be a saving there.

So we probably can't get anyone expensive, but it doesn't mean we can't promote within or get someone cheap.

Perhaps we can't afford to pay him off now.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Feb 2022 12:10

Snowflake Royal
Sanguine
Snowflake Royal Seems fair given how shit he's made us feel.

Yep. Boo hoo. He could always resign.

Bully boy stuff, Ian. You're a middle-aged man, get a grip ffs.

338 posts