Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Coppell's latest backtrack

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 16:12

Now that wasn't a difficult question was it? Are you convinced now HB? :wink:

Blue Blooded

by Blue Blooded » 25 Jan 2008 16:12

I wouldn't be too surprised if the club and Coppell in particular have monitored the Sidwell situation extremely closely - perhaps this will come out as the wildcard!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jan 2008 16:13

Blue and White Toucan
Fair point - forgot about Linvoy. So apart from Linvoy then? :lol:

If your speaking relatively then Lee Hodges was more impressive than this Kebe fella.

Asaba was a very impressive signing at the time too.

Jason Bowen was an internationally capped winger, at a time when internationals were quite rare for Reading!

...then there was also Ray Houghton.....

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 25 Jan 2008 16:17

Agreed with Stranded and Tinrib. I think people have got blinders about RW. It's a long-term problem that will need to be fixed if and when the right player is available. But short-term Doyle and Hunt have bothe been OK there, medium term Oster and (fingers crossed) Little should be able to contribute before the season's out, and Henry is a consideration. Central midfield, on the other hand, always looked like a problem that needed immediate fixing. Other than Harper, no one looks up to the job and I thin that's the number one reason we've done as badly as we have (including the defence being so exposed). So this transfer window, we've bought a Czech international midfielder - not an Iceland, Ecuador or Macedonia international, a Czech international, one of the best teams in the world. Cisse does not appear to be the solution at CM, but he does have a chance of being at CD. Now who's whining again?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2008 16:18

In reply to Royalblue's post:

Of course the counter arguement is what if we go and spend larger amounts on players that are already here and still get relegated?

Will people say then will at least we spent £4m on him and £3m on him, OK they didn't improve the team but at least we spent money....

If we go down then it is obvious that mistakes have been made, hell they've been made already in the summer.

The trick now in January is not to compound those mistake by going too far the other way.

We've signed one player to solve a problem position, have another who through circumstances could end up solving another problem position and look like signing another who could well fill the problem right hand side.

If that strenghtens the side enough to keep us in the divison this season then we have done our job this January, if not we will have to pick up the pieces in the summer and move on.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jan 2008 16:20

Royal Rother Now that wasn't a difficult question was it? Are you convinced now HB? :wink:

I'll still be surprised if he's playing there against Chelsea....long term though, yes I hope that is the answer because it means one of our foreign signings has slotted in straight away.

Lets wait and see though.

It still leaves Hunt probably playing out of position on the right (although he's done a good job out there) and an out of form Convey on left though.

Oh to have enough good enough bodies around to have real competition for places.....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Jan 2008 16:21

9165 Can`t be ar##d to mread the whole 8 pages of probable moaning but as someone must have said, you can`t make players sign for us if they don`t want to. We hardly have the most glamorous set-up and history in the Prem do we ?
Also re: Centre-halves. Sonko, Ingi, Duberry, Bikey, Pearce, possibly Cisse now, possibly Bennett, possibly Gunnarsson on a good day. Most similar-sized PL clubs have nowhere near this number of Centre halves (forget the top 6 for now). Were we to sign another how could we keep all of them happy and motivated ?

Drop the glamour excuse! Players soon put that down the list when they start to talk about money!

We could have twelve centre halves but we should still be looking to sign another if only two of them are of good PL level. If that demotivates those who aren't good enough to play at that level, does it really matter?

Someone else mentions players not being available. Do people really think ambitious clubs just look through some 'available' list?! Of course they don't. The manager looks at all players, decides who he would like and then gets his men to go and make an offer. Whether or not the target is a regular first teamer for another club makes no difference. If they want him they still put in an offer and if the offer is big enough it's surprising how many clubs can suddenly become interested in talking.

Stranded In reply to Royalblue's post:

Of course the counter arguement is what if we go and spend larger amounts on players that are already here and still get relegated?

Will people say then will at least we spent £4m on him and £3m on him, OK they didn't improve the team but at least we spent money....

But in that scenario at least we would have given it our best shot and the expenditure won't have left us broke or on the road to ruin as others claim.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 25 Jan 2008 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 16:23

When you are doing your jobs and you are planning forward do you ever find that you change your mind during the course of a year?

If yes, when that happens what causes it? A variety of factors I should imagine - market forces, staff training and development - some people progressing better than expected, the economy etc. etc. There must be many many more.

Do you then have hundreds of people going back over the precise phrasing of various statements made during the course of the previous 12 months, analysing them in minute detail to see where they are inconsistent with what you've actually done?

No, I didn't think so.

Steve Coppell operates in the real world as well as the rest of us and things happen, situations ebb and flow during the course of a season,and he changes his mind at times. Big deal! The fact is that because he operates in a ridiculous goldfish bowl where he has to say something to keep the bandwagon of the media scrutiny rolling along at all times he will open his mouth with an opinion that is valid at the point but becomes invalid later on as real events unfold.

Stop hanging on his every word - it's silly.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Jan 2008 16:23

Sunderland coming in for Hunt (who was not available) being a prime example RoyalBlue.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2008 16:24

RoyalBlue
9165 Can`t be ar##d to mread the whole 8 pages of probable moaning but as someone must have said, you can`t make players sign for us if they don`t want to. We hardly have the most glamorous set-up and history in the Prem do we ?
Also re: Centre-halves. Sonko, Ingi, Duberry, Bikey, Pearce, possibly Cisse now, possibly Bennett, possibly Gunnarsson on a good day. Most similar-sized PL clubs have nowhere near this number of Centre halves (forget the top 6 for now). Were we to sign another how could we keep all of them happy and motivated ?

Drop the glamour excuse! Players soon put that down the list when they start to talk about money!

We could have twelve centre halves but we should still be looking to sign another if only two of them are of good PL level. If that demotivates those who aren't good enough to play at that level, does it really matter?

Someone else mentions players not being available. Do people really think ambitious clubs just look through some 'available' list?! Of course they don't. The manager looks at all players, decides who he would like and then gets his men to go and make an offer. Whether or not the target is a regular first teamer for another club makes no difference. If they want him they still put in an offer and if the offer is big enough it's surprising how many clubs can suddenly become interested in talking.

Indeed but at this time of year a player's price suddenly shoots through the roof. For example, look at Hunt. Sunderland want him, is he worth £5m - no, probably not.

Have the got him, no. Would he go for £5m at any other time bar Jan, doubtful.

It's one thing saying these players are available but is it really worth paying over the odds for them?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2008 16:27

RB - How do you not know we've not done our very best this window?

How do you not know that we've spotted a player who we want (a la Sunderland and Hunt) and had 3 or 4 bids rejected but kept it out of the press as is our way?

The answer, you don't. None of us do.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 25 Jan 2008 16:30

Bill Oddie God you lot are worst than my wife always wanting to spend spend spend. Whats wrong with saving a bit of money ? I do not want to see a load of rash signing who would unbalance the team and upset the status quo. As for not paying wages I totally agree, the day RFC start paying 40k a week is the day I stop going, its bad enough at the minute with them being out of touch with the fans, how I long for the days of bumping into a pissed up Adi Williams in Upotia on a Tuesday night after a game. This season is the first time in 20 + years that I haven't been to an away game, its reallly starting to lose its appeal where as not so long ago RFC was the most important thing in my life. Save the money for the extention rather than "wasting" it on wages, the extention really is the most important thing as it will define the size and status of our club for the next 100 years !

Like a lovely new stadium defined the size and status for Oxford Utd!

Blow this season and skinflint won't build the extension anyway - mind you, bigger stand, bigger letters in the name! :evil:

We don't have to pay 40K a week we just have to wake up, get in the real world and be competitive in terms of wages.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 16:32

RoyalBlue

But in that scenario at least we would have given it our best shot and the expenditure won't have left us broke or on the road to ruin as others claim.

Spending on players that are overpriced / you don't really rate just for the sake of bolstering squad numbers does not actually constitute giving it your best shot.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 25 Jan 2008 16:38

Royal Rother
RoyalBlue

Spending on players that are overpriced / you don't really rate just for the sake of bolstering squad numbers does not actually constitute giving it your best shot.

Is there some rule i've missed that says Reading can only buy overpriced players as opposed to players whos price is an accurate reflection of their value?

You seem to assume there is.

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 25 Jan 2008 16:40

Stranded, 25 Jan 2008 16:27
RB - How do you not know we've not done our very best this window?

How do you not know that we've spotted a player who we want (a la Sunderland and Hunt) and had 3 or 4 bids rejected but kept it out of the press as is our way?

The answer, you don't. None of us do.

Good point. Are people really thinking that Coppell, Hammond etc has just signed one player and are trying to sign one more?!!?

I would imagine that the way players are touted around by agents these days we have been 'offered' and asked to 'take a look at' many players. Can't put a number on it because I don't know, but I would expect it to be most of what Hammond is doing at the moment.

Centre MIdfield was a problem and we have signed a Czech International, who plays in Centre Midfield. Centre Defence has been an issue but does anyone think that if Cisse plays there for the rest of the season, either alongside Ivar, Sonko, Duberry, or even Bikey.

The rest of the positions we do have cover with the likes of Rosenior, DLC for Full back, Fae, Gunnarson, Cox, (poss soon Oster or even Little) Bikey can play there too.

And we have 4 strikers who would probably all be wanted by other Premier League Clubs.

There will only be a crisis if, in May we need 3 points at Pride Park...

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 16:43

Schards#2
Royal Rother
RoyalBlue But in that scenario at least we would have given it our best shot and the expenditure won't have left us broke or on the road to ruin as others claim.

Is there some rule i've missed that says Reading can only buy overpriced players as opposed to players whos price is an accurate reflection of their value?

You seem to assume there is.

Friday is false dichotomy day.

So is every other day actually but there you go - I have a rep to keep up.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 25 Jan 2008 16:56

It's the same shite every fcukin time isn't it?

Who said lets go and spend money on players not good enough? Who's said that?

What's wrong with wanting the club to improve?

As Coppell has said you need to buy players better than what you have to dp that.

So people sayin that are agreeing with Coppell.

Lets hope Kebe a great player. I mean to be fair playing for a club like Lens must make you a decent player. It's not like he's never got near their 1st team and has been sent out on loan to a lower league side, like we send Halls and Sodje out on loan.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 25 Jan 2008 17:00

Tbh we need to bring in 2 players.

A New CB is a must for me
And if we have time try and get a RM.
Then i believe we would have a big enough squad.

:mrgreen:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jan 2008 17:14

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe It's the same shite every fcukin time isn't it?

Who said lets go and spend money on players not good enough? Who's said that?

It's the same shite every fcukin time isn't it?

Why not just accept the fact that if they were good enough, wanted to come here, were of the right personality, for the right price and with sensible wage demands we would sign them? Why not?

Why not just accept the fact that an awful lot more activity happens within the club during transfer windows than you know about?

Speculation is okay and mild disgruntlement I can live with but this rabid obsession with the lack of signings is just silly.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Jan 2008 17:18

RoyalBlue

thing is, im not sure we could prise vidic from manure
sean wright philips from chelsea etc

but give them a bell, they may be well up for it

470 posts