The "Championship won't be all that bad" thread

244 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The "Championship won't be all that bad" thread

by Wycombe Royal » 06 May 2008 10:07

Huntley & Palmer
Wycombe Royal atmospheres will be better.

:| Because everyone expects us to win rather than lose?

No because the rivalries are better and the banter is far better outside the Premiership.

Atmosphere isn't just generated by home fans which your comment seems to indicate.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 06 May 2008 10:18

Well you can hardly say the away fans at the Madejski this season have not been vocal. Though singing "You're not fit to wear the hoops" to QPR isn't enough to get me excited

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 May 2008 10:23

Huntley & Palmer Well you can hardly say the away fans at the Madejski this season have not been vocal. Though singing "You're not fit to wear the hoops" to QPR isn't enough to get me excited

We have differing opinions and I can't be bothered to argue the point anymore. I haven't enjoyed this season in the Premiership and for the money it costs it has not been good value.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 May 2008 10:23

I won't be too disappointed to see us playing football back in the Championship as long as we go back to being a club trying to better itself instead of the stale old boys club going backwards on the cheap that we've become over the last 18 months.

I'd bitterly disappointed with the way the clubs been managed since last Christmas and it's taken it's toll on my passion for the club. The Championship and a re-birth of the team might well re-ignite my passion and as a bonus it should work out a little bit cheaper to boot!

I'll support my club in whatever division I find it in, but I want to see the club doing it's utmost to progress, be the best it can be, and treating it's fans with the respect we deserve for being the lifeblood that's kept it going since 1871. Being in the Championship might well mean that those expectations are more likely to be met than if we stay in the Premier League so I'll be disappointed but full of expectations for the new season as I have been for the last 25 years.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 06 May 2008 10:28

1 thing that will happen IF we do unfortunately get relegated, all the plastics will leave behind all the loyals

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 06 May 2008 10:31

loyalroyal4life 1 thing that will happen IF we do unfortunately get relegated, all the plastics will leave behind all the loyals

Which one are you, loyalroyal4life?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 May 2008 10:44

our academy will come into its own and we may see pearce and henry playing 1st team football
by the time we win promotion theyll have the experience they need to become prem players

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 06 May 2008 10:45

loyalroyal4life 1 thing that will happen IF we do unfortunately get relegated, all the plastics will leave behind all the loyals

Hoorah!! Hopefully that pleb that sits behind me, who gets all the players wrong and wont shut his gob all game will piss off. Likewise to the moaning twat across the aisle.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 May 2008 10:45

Although I will be gutted if we go down I can honestly say that I will look forward to the start of next season just as much whichever division we are in.

If we stay up I will look forward to seeing us play the big 4 etc and see if we can win more games against them.

If we go down I will look forward to seeing some of our younger players coming through and hopefully another promotion season.

Bring it on!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 06 May 2008 11:01

I'm quite looking forward to some away grounds I've yet to do: Blackpool, Barnsley, Swansea and Soton.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 06 May 2008 11:16

brendywendy our academy will come into its own and we may see pearce and henry playing 1st team football
by the time we win promotion theyll have the experience they need to become prem players

Onlt if we pull our finger out and offer Pearce a new contract. I've heard on the grape vine that Norwich have a deal on the table for him if he becomes a free in June.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 May 2008 11:18

Coppelled Streets
brendywendy our academy will come into its own and we may see pearce and henry playing 1st team football

Onlt if we pull our finger out and offer Pearce a new contract. I've heard on the grape vine that Norwich have a deal on the table for him if he becomes a free in June.

Assuming we offer him a new deal then he wouldn't be a "free" signing for Norwich.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 May 2008 11:27

Coppelled Streets

Considering he signed a deal in 2006 that doesn't run out until 2009, I don't think we have to worry about him becoming a free agent this June.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 06 May 2008 11:58

It will be near on impossible to stay in the division as we have to win, to win means we have to score at least one goal, goals are our problem = Relegation!! And to be honest, I don’t feel one bit of sadness to leave this so called ‘Premier League’ behind, before we came up I barely liked the England team as I didn’t think the players picked did enough to warrant their inclusion (apart from Becks) After seeing these so called ‘best players’ with their cheating, lying and their disgusting attitudes towards the officials of the game, John Terry, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard to mane three but there’s plenty more. I can't possibly rant on all day about my disgust for the Premier League, I hope if/when Reading ever come back up I hope The FA have done something about it by putting the soul back in our top division, probably not though.

I think we will come straight back up, I don't know why people seem so down cast about our chances. The only reason why we won't pop back up is if we change our manager. I was disappointed when we chose Mr Coppell, I wanted Iain Dowie, Dowie then got Crystal Palace promoted in his first season whilst we limped out of the play off places. When we've changed manager before, who did we get? Since Mark McGhee we then went for the cheap option with Jim and Mick, fine for 5 months but for 3 years, no. Then we thought ok, we can get it right now but who did we get, Terry Bullivant???? Who???? The season that followed was far worse than this!! Then look who we got, finally a big name, Tommy Burns, quite possibly the worse football I've ever seen. After staring at 4th division football in the face we changed again, by more luck than judgement Madejski picked our old reserve manager. Pardew was awful to start with but in comes Allen, Robinson and Butler and the rest they say is history. What I'm trying to say is when Madejski has had to pick a manager most of the time he's bottled it. Lets keep Coppell and see what happens, we've come up to the Premier League at the best possible time, Derby are getting £29m for finishing bottom, we haven't spent anything, lets regroup and come back stronger, isn't that what Bolton and Charlton did and they did pretty well didn't they?

Come on, I'm going to Derby to cheer them on, lets not boo if they are 1-0 down at half time because we all know that's not going to help.

Even though I hate it, we might as well try and stay here, if not then so be it, we'll come back.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 06 May 2008 18:46

There's also the very slight possiblity that in the earlier days of JM's ownership, the manager's job at Reading FC didn't exactly have the biggest names in management crawling over broken glass to take the role.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 06 May 2008 19:35

W&E Royal It will be near on impossible to stay in the division as we have to win, to win means we have to score at least one goal, goals are our problem = Relegation!! And to be honest, I don’t feel one bit of sadness to leave this so called ‘Premier League’ behind, before we came up I barely liked the England team as I didn’t think the players picked did enough to warrant their inclusion (apart from Becks) After seeing these so called ‘best players’ with their cheating, lying and their disgusting attitudes towards the officials of the game, John Terry, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard to mane three but there’s plenty more. I can't possibly rant on all day about my disgust for the Premier League, I hope if/when Reading ever come back up I hope The FA have done something about it by putting the soul back in our top division, probably not though.

I think we will come straight back up, I don't know why people seem so down cast about our chances. The only reason why we won't pop back up is if we change our manager. I was disappointed when we chose Mr Coppell, I wanted Iain Dowie, Dowie then got Crystal Palace promoted in his first season whilst we limped out of the play off places. When we've changed manager before, who did we get? Since Mark McGhee we then went for the cheap option with Jim and Mick, fine for 5 months but for 3 years, no. Then we thought ok, we can get it right now but who did we get, Terry Bullivant???? Who???? The season that followed was far worse than this!! Then look who we got, finally a big name, Tommy Burns, quite possibly the worse football I've ever seen. After staring at 4th division football in the face we changed again, by more luck than judgement Madejski picked our old reserve manager. Pardew was awful to start with but in comes Allen, Robinson and Butler and the rest they say is history. What I'm trying to say is when Madejski has had to pick a manager most of the time he's bottled it. Lets keep Coppell and see what happens, we've come up to the Premier League at the best possible time, Derby are getting £29m for finishing bottom, we haven't spent anything, lets regroup and come back stronger, isn't that what Bolton and Charlton did and they did pretty well didn't they?

Come on, I'm going to Derby to cheer them on, lets not boo if they are 1-0 down at half time because we all know that's not going to help.

Even though I hate it, we might as well try and stay here, if not then so be it, we'll come back.

On the last two occasions we have been relegated we struggled in the following season as well. There is absolutely no guarantee we will bounce back up as there will be a lot of turmoil at the club over the summer months with loads of player turnover. The manager and coaching staff may be part of that turnover so we may be looking at a very different squad and management come August.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 06 May 2008 21:49

Rev Algenon Stickleback H There's also the very slight possiblity that in the earlier days of JM's ownership, the manager's job at Reading FC didn't exactly have the biggest names in management crawling over broken glass to take the role.

I'm sure a second tier team could still have done better than Bullivant.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 06 May 2008 22:35

Platypuss
Rev Algenon Stickleback H There's also the very slight possiblity that in the earlier days of JM's ownership, the manager's job at Reading FC didn't exactly have the biggest names in management crawling over broken glass to take the role.

I'm sure a second tier team could still have done better than Bullivant.
A pot plant could probably have done better than bullivant. The point was that JM was probably not exactly buried under the weight of quality applicants. The assumption that he was only employed because he was cheap doesn't really have a great deal to back it up, and also assumes that there were a number of better qualified candidates turned down. The only two other candidates that were known about were Tommy Burns, who took a job at Newcastle instead, and Bernd Schuster, who was supposed to have had ideas way beyond the budget of the club at the time. Among his ideas was signing a couple of Brazilians to raise the profile of the club. Either he had no idea of the UK work permit restrictions, or somehow thought we could attract Brazilian national team regulars to Elm Park.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 06 May 2008 22:58

W&E Royal It will be near on impossible to stay in the division as we have to win, to win means we have to score at least one goal, goals are our problem = Relegation!! And to be honest, I don’t feel one bit of sadness to leave this so called ‘Premier League’ behind, before we came up I barely liked the England team as I didn’t think the players picked did enough to warrant their inclusion (apart from Becks) After seeing these so called ‘best players’ with their cheating, lying and their disgusting attitudes towards the officials of the game, John Terry, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard to mane three but there’s plenty more. I can't possibly rant on all day about my disgust for the Premier League, I hope if/when Reading ever come back up I hope The FA have done something about it by putting the soul back in our top division, probably not though.

Well said that man/woman/child.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 06 May 2008 23:12

I can't really get my head round this topic until we've played Derby. Being a long-term supporter, I am prone to pessimism; but I keep convincing myself that there is still a very good chance that we can stay up.

244 posts