Little joining Pompey

423 posts
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: Little joining Pompey

by Alan Partridge » 20 Jun 2008 16:01

sheshnu 'greed Stranded - imagine the Partridge-esque grumblings on the Portsmouth forums right now... :lol:

What the hell are you on about? I'm still fairly annoyed that the team we had 3 years ago would absolutely rinse our current team, that's without the enormous sums of money gone into the club during that spell.

Coppell and the staff, we are led to believe Hammond has a huge say on contracts and on transfers, have failed, not once, not twice but on the last FIVE occassions to bring players in that would genuinely be better than what we have.

If every single one of our players was on the top of the ir game, the best form and fully fit. Who would dislodge people from this team

Hahnemann

Murty
Sonko
Ivar
Shorey

Little
Sidwell
Harper
Convey

Kitson
Doyle

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 20 Jun 2008 16:02

I heard that Little and Coppell didn't see eye to eye towards the end of last season

Did anyone?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 20 Jun 2008 16:02

Stevie G
Royal Lady I'm not having that - Coppell isn't the one who offers the money and new contracts - that's down to Hammond isn't it. Hammond, once again, has shown he's not up to this job imho. I bet Coppell is as gutted as a lot of us are to be honest.

So gutted he's going to jack it in.......................................I think not. I like him, but I wonder about the club as a whole.

I think it must have come as a bit of a shock to them too though.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 20 Jun 2008 16:04

Royalee
Arch LOL @ calling signing Glen on a one-year "ambition and forward thinking".

Well it's certainly more ambitious than letting your better players go and having to call on Jimmy Kebe isn't it?

If we were forward-thinking, we'd have planned targets for survival and relegation and would have been looking to tie down our best players long ago instead of piddling money away on extending Gunnarsson's contract and paying Hunt ten times his weekly worth.
Two different things. I can;t say I'm optimistic about our hopes of bringing people in, but this thread shows there can be cluelessness in every area of the fanbase (no surprise). If Glen had turned out to be a major factor for us next season, that would have been a massive bonus based on the probabilities. RL is basically right. He's quite unlikely to be a substantial contributor. He has always had nagging injury issues and age is seriously against him. So instead of using his departure as just another stick to beat the club with and wheel out more "ROFLeading=murked" etc, it would be better if people wished him well and celebrated his past contributions.

It's pretty clear the squad from the golden years is being dismantled and many of the club's most vociferous critics have been demanding that. It would be bad policy to offer over the odds to an aging injury-riddled Little and thereby cut our ability to offer good money to a younger player. Not to imply we'll do that anyway, but that's a different issue. Signing Glen is not showing ambition on anyone's part, unless it's Colchester or someone like that.

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 20 Jun 2008 16:06

Arch Two different things. I can;t say I'm optimistic about our hopes of bringing people in, but this thread shows there can be cluelessness in every area of the fanbase (no surprise). If Glen had turned out to be a major factor for us next season, that would have been a massive bonus based on the probabilities. RL is basically right. He's quite unlikely to be a substantial contributor. He has always had nagging injury issues and age is seriously against him. So instead of using his departure as just another stick to beat the club with and wheel out more "ROFLeading=murked" etc, it would be better if people wished him well and celebrated his past contributions.

It's pretty clear the squad from the golden years is being dismantled and many of the club's most vociferous critics have been demanding that. It would be bad policy to offer over the odds to an aging injury-riddled Little and thereby cut our ability to offer good money to a younger player. Not to imply we'll do that anyway, but that's a different issue. Signing Glen is not showing ambition on anyone's part, unless it's Colchester or someone like that.

What he said.
Last edited by ElmParker on 20 Jun 2008 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Jun 2008 16:06

sheshnu I can only assume Alan Partridge and Finerain are being idiots on purpose. I can't believe a 'fan' can be so negative about the club he supports.

Perhaps they are annoyed that - as the deadline for ST renewals elapses - the departure of the only player we have worth watching is announced.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 20 Jun 2008 16:07

ElmParker
Arch Two different things. I can;t say I'm optimistic about our hopes of bringing people in, but this thread shows there can be cluelessness in every area of the fanbase (no surprise). If Glen had turned out to be a major factor for us next season, that would have been a massive bonus based on the probabilities. RL is basically right. He's quite unlikely to be a substantial contributor. He has always had nagging injury issues and age is seriously against him. So instead of using his departure as just another stick to beat the club with and wheel out more "ROFLeading=murked" etc, it would be better if people wished him well and celebrated his past contributions.

What he said.

Fair point indeed! Still wish he was with us though even with his injuries :cry:

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 20 Jun 2008 16:07

Well, the markets have yet to react. We remain third favourites @ 9-1.

Keep your wallets closed until the Harper & Shorey deals are tied up.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Jun 2008 16:10

A half fit glenn little playing 20 games next season > jimmy kebe

largetrousers
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by largetrousers » 20 Jun 2008 16:12

By far the best player i've seen in the hoops in recent times, absolutely totally gutted, wish him well....thought he was our key to getting back in the prem :cry: :cry: :cry:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Jun 2008 16:13

Arch
Royalee
Arch LOL @ calling signing Glen on a one-year "ambition and forward thinking".

Well it's certainly more ambitious than letting your better players go and having to call on Jimmy Kebe isn't it?

If we were forward-thinking, we'd have planned targets for survival and relegation and would have been looking to tie down our best players long ago instead of piddling money away on extending Gunnarsson's contract and paying Hunt ten times his weekly worth.
Two different things. I can;t say I'm optimistic about our hopes of bringing people in, but this thread shows there can be cluelessness in every area of the fanbase (no surprise). If Glen had turned out to be a major factor for us next season, that would have been a massive bonus based on the probabilities. RL is basically right. He's quite unlikely to be a substantial contributor. He has always had nagging injury issues and age is seriously against him. So instead of using his departure as just another stick to beat the club with and wheel out more "ROFLeading=murked" etc, it would be better if people wished him well and celebrated his past contributions.

Maybe with proper physios and management, Little will surprise people this season at Portsmouth...

As for ambition, I accept that Little's no spring chicken, but we should have nailed him down for another year far earlier given our lack of alternatives. We are now left with pretty much no good creative players at the club Matejovsky aside. Perhaps if we got rid of Hunt, wages wouldn't be a problem in terms of what we can offer new players - maybe then we'd have brought in a creative left winger too.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 20 Jun 2008 16:16

Royalee but we should have nailed him down for another year

He's good, but he's no Jesus.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 20 Jun 2008 16:18

clearly this was a late approach and to some degree im suprised by the move, Little was a great servent to RFC and one of my top players over the years and will obviously be missed. However at 32 the cold light of day is that he has one really decent season left in him and as other posters admitted previously his injuries have become more apparent in recent years so would we be getting the best of him- who knows???. The immediate and understandable reaction is to demand a RW replacement, but i think Coppell will let the dust settle in the next few weeks and see who is available and fits the RFC pattern- we could even have a new look wing if Hunt moves on though i expect to see Convey fill in again. Kightly for me stands out but with prem interest that would clearly rule us out- wes hoolahan could be another option too. I think this is a huge moment for James Henry to push on during pre season and put himself in the picture as well. Cheers Glenn, you'll be remembered as a RFC great for definate.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2008 16:18

FiNeRaIn A half fit glenn little playing 20 games next season > jimmy kebe

On what we've seen I don't think anyone would disagree....but with still the best of 2 months til the season starts it's very simplistic to suggest that that will be the only equation.

If Kebe remains the only right winger we have come 9th August I'll be as annoyed as anyone, I'll reserve judgement until then.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 20 Jun 2008 16:18

I dont think that this is money chasing or anything like that, but what stands out even more now is that if we had made a genuine effort to stay in the Premiership instead of spending time counting the cost, then this move might never had happened, I await with much interest just how much we put into the side with a view to re-gaining our Premiership place, I have real severe doubts that any chance of a Prem return will most certainly never happen with Madejski, Howe and Hammond at the helm, the cost absolutely petrifies them. I can only see us falling back on the younger players with very few quality signings, as that would cost money and higher salaries, academy stars on low pay thats just up Readings street................if only players would change their names when they have an option to join the Royals, as our owner likes his name against all his investments and succeses, John madejski Mensah, Matt madejski Taylor, doesn't sound tooooooooooo bad !!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 20 Jun 2008 16:20

holsgrove breaks a leg clearly this was a late approach and to some degree im suprised by the move, Little was a great servent to RFC and one of my top players over the years and will obviously be missed. However at 32 the cold light of day is that he has one really decent season left in him and as other posters admitted previously his injuries have become more apparent in recent years so would we be getting the best of him- who knows???. The immediate and understandable reaction is to demand a RW replacement, but i think Coppell will let the dust settle in the next few weeks and see who is available and fits the RFC pattern- we could even have a new look wing if Hunt moves on though i expect to see Convey fill in again. Kightly for me stands out but with prem interest that would clearly rule us out- wes hoolahan could be another option too. I think this is a huge moment for James Henry to push on during pre season and put himself in the picture as well. Cheers Glenn, you'll be remembered as a RFC great for definate.

Agree with msot of this, however I really don't think Henry is the answer....yet. Sent back by Norwich as he couldn't get near their team doesn't bode well.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Jun 2008 16:20

SpaceCruiser F**K OFF PORTSMOUTH.

First they stole Primus. Then they stole Ashdown. Then they let Fulham score. And now this. The f**king cvnts.

We let them take Primus and Ashdown by not offering either contracts at their market rate!

Still remember the interviews on BBRB with club officials pontificating about how they had offered Primus a very fair deal and he would be stupid not to take it. Yeh - he turned out to be a right mug with that move didn't he! :evil: Ashdown hardly bettered himself either!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Jun 2008 16:21

I can almost imagine the reaction of some on here if we'd nailed him down for a year when he was still injured....

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 Jun 2008 16:21

floyd__streete
sheshnu I can only assume Alan Partridge and Finerain are being idiots on purpose. I can't believe a 'fan' can be so negative about the club he supports.

Perhaps they are annoyed that - as the deadline for ST renewals elapses - the departure of the only player we have worth watching is announced.

I would still renew my ST next week, lots of RFC fans I know would as well.
Easy peasy!
Only player we have worth watching??
Disagree with that as well.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 20 Jun 2008 16:23

Stranded

I can almost imagine the reaction of some on here if we'd nailed him down for a year when he was still injured....

Is he not fit again? Even if he was only to play ten games, he'd still be better value than Hunt.

423 posts