Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
Oxon_Royal

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by Oxon_Royal » 16 Sep 2008 21:39

Schards#2 I think we need to get used to mid table championship football at the very best until there is a sea change at this club.

Madejski - clearly, his heart is not in it to the extent it was previously. He would love to sell out but can't find a buyer. He will keep the club sound and stable but has no intention of investing further funds or trying to push the club forwards.

Coppell - if the spirit of the championship had survived, he would definately have been the right man for the job, but it hasn't. The chairman is not fully behind it anymore, many players have left to pursue their own self interest and many still here would like to leave. The golden team has long gone and we have to move on and build a new team. Coppell doesn't, IMHO, have the hunger to do this.

Whilst not being a member of the carpark squad, I applauded their actions as, at the time it was the right thing to do. Had we known that the spirit of the championship side was already totally dead, in hindsight, we should have let Coppell go and started afresh.

As for Madejski, there are some on here who would happily see us drift downwards whilst improving/maintaining our balance sheet in the belief that the rest of football will meltdown around us and we will emerge as one of the last men standing. They are rather like people who build nuclear bunkers in their back garden. Much as I admire and appreciete what Madejski has done, I don't see how the club can go forward with him at the helm and would now like to see someone new who wants to move things forward.

Can't see either leaving anytime soon so supporting Reading's going to be a whole lot duller and uninspiring than in recent years :cry:

Cheer up and be positive for once.
Go on, surprise me, make me feel like posting some more on this deeply depressing and negative site.

Why do you think I'm still a 'newbie' on this site, but not in terms of supporting the Royals (like I suspect a lot of others are!)

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 16 Sep 2008 21:48

Oxon_Royal
Schards#2 I think we need to get used to mid table championship football at the very best until there is a sea change at this club.

Madejski - clearly, his heart is not in it to the extent it was previously. He would love to sell out but can't find a buyer. He will keep the club sound and stable but has no intention of investing further funds or trying to push the club forwards.

Coppell - if the spirit of the championship had survived, he would definately have been the right man for the job, but it hasn't. The chairman is not fully behind it anymore, many players have left to pursue their own self interest and many still here would like to leave. The golden team has long gone and we have to move on and build a new team. Coppell doesn't, IMHO, have the hunger to do this.

Whilst not being a member of the carpark squad, I applauded their actions as, at the time it was the right thing to do. Had we known that the spirit of the championship side was already totally dead, in hindsight, we should have let Coppell go and started afresh.

As for Madejski, there are some on here who would happily see us drift downwards whilst improving/maintaining our balance sheet in the belief that the rest of football will meltdown around us and we will emerge as one of the last men standing. They are rather like people who build nuclear bunkers in their back garden. Much as I admire and appreciete what Madejski has done, I don't see how the club can go forward with him at the helm and would now like to see someone new who wants to move things forward.

Can't see either leaving anytime soon so supporting Reading's going to be a whole lot duller and uninspiring than in recent years :cry:

Cheer up and be positive for once.
Go on, surprise me, make me feel like posting some more on this deeply depressing and negative site.

Why do you think I'm still a 'newbie' on this site, but not in terms of supporting the Royals (like I suspect a lot of others are!)

I have a feeling that there might be a bit of positivity around here this week...

Seaside Royal

by Seaside Royal » 16 Sep 2008 22:03

Progress made! 6-0

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2008 22:04

Yeah, frightening how little prsopect for progress there is.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 16 Sep 2008 22:05

SO, IS THERE NO PROGRESS, SCHARDS????

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2008 22:11

1 game blah blah blah, away form blah blah blah. Firesale blah blah blah.

Still too early too say much about our promotion prospects mind. But it's certainly not doom and gloom. Just a long hard season as predicted by anyone "sensible and realistic"

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Sep 2008 22:15

I'll reserve judgement until we beat someone in the top half of the table or we win an away game.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 16 Sep 2008 22:16

Royalee I'll reserve judgement until we beat someone in the top half of the table or we win an away game.

You're back! :D

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 16 Sep 2008 22:17

Royalee I'll reserve judgement until we beat someone in the top half of the table or we win an away game.

Err Sheffield Wednesday were in the top half- 6th iirc. Well until tonight anyway!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Sep 2008 22:17

Archie's penalty

You're back! :D

I've been busy relocating and regaining internet access, although it is nice to feel my presence is felt. :wink:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 16 Sep 2008 22:18

exileinleeds

Err Sheffield Wednesday were in the top half- 6th iirc. Well until tonight anyway!

As the league table stands, we have yet to beat a top half team.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 16 Sep 2008 22:19

It was an outstanding performance tonight as it was dire on Saturday, So yes I will agree that it was a very encouraging result, more important was that both youngsters Karacan and Pearce have been involved fully again, these guys are the future, but lets please not get too blinkered by this result, it goes show that when we play football that we are a challenge to anyone in this league, and I think one good away success will be the determining factor of our season this year if we can get that soon (Saturday) then we will become a viable top six team this year Its good that Doyle has got his shooting boots on again and he is well capable of getting 25-30 goals this season and having seen a lot of Noel Hunt up here with Dundee United, I know he is well capable of getting into the region of 18 to 20, he is a good player, quick instinctive with a good eye for goal, he will prove to be one of the few players who have come down from Scotland to be a success.

It is all going to be about who we keep in january, if we are doing well, then we have a bargening factor with the likes of Doyle and Hunt to stay and see the job through, the major fear that I have is that the squad seems a little bit lightweight with experience, but this is as it was when we won the Championship, but a litle investment come the next transfer window will be essetial, as we cannot hope to go through the season with as few injuries as we did during our championship winning season.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2008 22:19

Well, I'm only allowing tentative judgement until we've played at least 10. Doesn't stop me enjoying a damn fine win and laughing at people who seemed to have written us off after 5 games.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Sep 2008 22:20

Royalee
exileinleeds

They only stopped being top half after we beat them. Stop being a silly beggar.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 16 Sep 2008 22:21

So, we play a team in 6th, we beat them comprehensively, so comprehensively that they drop 7 places, and that somehow invalidates what we have done because they are no longer a top half team?

Do you ever wonder why most people on here think you are a twat?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Sep 2008 22:21

Royalee
exileinleeds

Move the goalposts to suit your story

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 16 Sep 2008 22:22

Royalee
exileinleeds

So you'd have been happier if we'd only beaten them 5-0?

What a very strange man.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 16 Sep 2008 22:23

Ian Royal Well, I'm only allowing tentative judgement until we've played at least 10. Doesn't stop me enjoying a damn fine win and laughing at people who seemed to have written us off after 5 games.

Let's not laugh at anyone. In the premiership there's this new policy of respect for referees. If the so called RTG's and STG's can respect each other it would be a much nicer and more accommodating board...

I agree we should wait until the 10th game till we reserve judgement...

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 16 Sep 2008 22:23

Royalee
exileinleeds

Ummmmmm..... Wednesday are only in the bottom half on Goal Difference, thanks, in no small part, to a 6-0 tonking given to them by..........

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 16 Sep 2008 22:25

It's so nice having Schards on ignore :mrgreen:

2091 posts