Marek... a debate

162 posts
andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Marek... a debate

by andrew1957 » 15 Dec 2008 17:40

Marek is a good player but not sure he suits a 4-4-2. Clearly he would be better in a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 (with him the one behind the striker).

I do not think we really need him this season in all truth as Cisse, Harper, Gunnarson and Karacan are all probably better suited to this division, but I think he will have a huge part to play in the PL next season if we do get promoted. One of our downfalls last season was that we played 4-4-2 away without much success. One of the other formations is likely to be more productive away from home in the PL IMO.

In the Championship we have to play 4-4-2 home and away as we need to win games.

Son of Len

Re: Marek... a debate

by Son of Len » 15 Dec 2008 21:49

andrew1957 Marek is a good player but not sure he suits a 4-4-2. Clearly he would be better in a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 (with him the one behind the striker).

I do not think we really need him this season in all truth as Cisse, Harper, Gunnarson and Karacan are all probably better suited to this division, but I think he will have a huge part to play in the PL next season if we do get promoted. One of our downfalls last season was that we played 4-4-2 away without much success. One of the other formations is likely to be more productive away from home in the PL IMO.

In the Championship we have to play 4-4-2 home and away as we need to win games.

Agreed.

As O1TM brought up on the 2nd page of this thread, Marek is the next step for RFC. The PL found out how to shut down the wings (well, the left wing) and Marek was supposed to give the club another route to goal - through the middle. Yes, he's not pacey. If he was, someone else would have snatched him up long ago. But he and Fae were supposed to be the beginning of RFC's evolution into PL mainstays.

162 posts