Coppell - Can He Save Us???

222 posts
adamh4608

Re: Coppell - Can He Save Us???

by adamh4608 » 29 Sep 2009 15:28

winchester_royal
adamh4608

ok then if coppell not good enough who is then asd you will not get top name managers come to us?

We don't need a new manager. Infact changing manager right now would be disastrous, and almost certainly result in us going down. My point is that in the state the club is in now (part of which is Coppell's fault) BR is doing as good a job as any. He waqs tasked by revolutionising this football club, and in a league as competitive as the CCC, when in the middle of this revolution you cannot expect to win every game. There are signs now that the squad is starting to settle, and hopefully we will kick on from here.

BR is a good manager, he proved that at Watford, he is held in exceptionally high esteem with alot of very knowledgable people who have more experience in football that you or I could ever hope to gain. He didn't become an 'idiot' overnight, and to suggest that he is incompetent because we've got off to a poor start in ludicrious.

i dont rember coppell selling all the player, that was the club.so it is the club that have given rodger,s no hope

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 15:29

I only said partly Coppell's fault because he was the one who staked a lot of money on the club getting promoted, and by giving Doyle an dHunt big wage packets he made it impossible for us to keep them.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Sep 2009 15:31

winchester_royal I'm not saying he wasn't important, just that he wasn't the KEY factor. The KEY factor was the squad, and the fact that we stayed almost entirely injury free for basically the whole season. If any of the first 11 had got injured, except maybe one of the strikers, for a significant amount of time we'd have got nowhere near 106 points. That season was the culmination of 6 or 7 years hard work from Pardew, Coppell, and most importantly the players.

I'm not trying to shit on his grave so to speak, but to suggest a manager who was easily found out in both the second prem season, and the second half of last season would waltz into the club right now and completely turn around the club is crap, and we all know it. Funnily enough it's mostly the same people who were slagging off for the last two years (looking very much at you Thou Twat) that want him back now. Rodgers' poor start is the best thing that could have happenned to Coppell's reputation, but the sad fact is through poor management in January (paying ridiculous amounts on Kitson, Little and new contracts for Doyle and Hunt) SC left BR with little hope.

Sorry to sound like a 'spacktard' but that's my opinion, and if you're offended by it then I suggest you foe me up.

The squad that he spent 3 years refining and building. People underestimate this so much because everything in football these days has to be instant. Given that you're one of those that quite rightly are saying give Rodgers time I'm amazed you can't see how important and crucial this was. It didn't just happen by fluke. Its also why people crack me up when they talk about the previous 2 seasons as failure when the squad was being built and a true team spirit being developed. These things are down to the manager and was the reason that "team" far exceeded the sum of its individual parts.

The Kitson,Little,Doyle Hunt deals have nothing to do with what Rodgers inherited either well only in the sense that we failed to get promoted. If we had done then even if Coppell had walked (and I believe he would) its doubtful Rodgers would have been given the job in the Premiership. Other than that he inherited exactly what he would anywhere else with a club with a large wage bill in their 2nd season after relegation from the Premiership. Can't really point the finger at Coppell for that given that all four aren't on the current wage bill.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Sep 2009 15:34

winchester_royal I only said partly Coppell's fault because he was the one who staked a lot of money on the club getting promoted, and by giving Doyle an dHunt big wage packets he made it impossible for us to keep them.

They would have gone anyway. It could be argued that giving them the extra deal for a short term meant we maximised the fee we received for them. With a year less on their contract its quite feasible that buying clubs would be in a better bargaining position than us.

Either way it has no bearing on the task facing Rodgers which would have been the same anyway.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 29 Sep 2009 15:39

winchester_royal I only said partly Coppell's fault because he was the one who staked a lot of money on the club getting promoted, and by giving Doyle an dHunt big wage packets he made it impossible for us to keep them.

rubbish look how much the club has spent out on players since we went up to the prem so I would say 30k from January 09- ague 09
was chicken feed compared to that and if we had let them go in January he would have got a lot of stick for that

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 15:40

Vision

They would have gone anyway. It could be argued that giving them the extra deal for a short term meant we maximised the fee we received for them. With a year less on their contract its quite feasible that buying clubs would be in a better bargaining position than us.

Either way it has no bearing on the task facing Rodgers which would have been the same anyway.

But the fact that we simply HAD to get rid of them made our bargaining power even less. The £2million for Hunt shows how we were effectively robbed, because of the massive wages.

And of course it affected Rodgers. We spent money getting them to sign, and as such Rodgers didn't have a lot to play with this year.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 15:41

adamh4608

rubbish look how much the club has spent out on players since we went up to the prem so I would say 30k from January 09- ague 09
was chicken feed compared to that and if we had let them go in January he would have got a lot of stick for that

I think you missed my point.....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Sep 2009 15:44

But the fact that we simply HAD to get rid of them made our bargaining power even less. The £2million for Hunt shows how we were effectively robbed, because of the massive wages.

i reinstate my spacktard

if we hadnt, theyd have gone anyway, and wed have had no chance of getting within one game of the play offs, let alone of the automatic that coppell nearly achieved

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 29 Sep 2009 15:47

winchester_royal
adamh4608

I think you missed my point.....

I think you need to give Coppell more credit

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 15:49

brendywendy

i reinstate my spacktard

if we hadnt, theyd have gone anyway, and wed have had no chance of getting within one game of the play offs, let alone of the automatic that coppell nearly achieved

Might I add my spacktard to the equation. They wouldn't have gone in January, we didn't have to sell them, and if you notice both were incomprehensibly shit after they gained their new contract. So much so that even SC had dropped Hunt by the time the play-offs came about.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 29 Sep 2009 15:59

winchester_royal
brendywendy

i reinstate my spacktard

Might I add my spacktard to the equation. They wouldn't have gone in January, we didn't have to sell them, and if you notice both were incomprehensibly shit after they gained their new contract. So much so that even SC had dropped Hunt by the time the play-offs came about.

I agree that they did not play well at all after there pay rise. I would have thought by having a wage rise like they did they would have up there game and would have sent a message that we did not need to sell,Are top player unlike now which I think is sjm milking the club before he goes.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Sep 2009 16:00

didnt you call them his undroppables earlier?

stay consistant at least

and how do yoyu know they wouldnt have been even more awful if not given th enew contracts eh, EH?

ok, now im the spacktard

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 16:08

brendywendy didnt you call them his undroppables earlier?

stay consistant at least

and how do yoyu know they wouldnt have been even more awful if not given th enew contracts eh, EH?

ok, now im the spacktard

Hunt was dropped for 2 games when SC was getting really desperate. Doyle was never dropped.

Oh, and 'Greed. :wink:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Sep 2009 16:13

i feel inclined to disagree about doyle

but cant be arsed to do any research first

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Sep 2009 16:18

winchester_royal
Vision

And of course it affected Rodgers. We spent money getting them to sign, and as such Rodgers didn't have a lot to play with this year.

We HAD to anyway. Those deals made no difference at all to that. We probably got a bit more for Doyle and maybe a bit less for Hunt but either way it makes no difference to what Rodgers or any other manager would have had to work with.

Did Bikey, Rosenior or Harper sign new deals?
Did that mean we could afford to hold onto them if a suitable offer came along?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 29 Sep 2009 16:20

brendywendy i feel inclined to disagree about doyle

but cant be arsed to do any research first

It's semantics anyway - both Hunt and Doyle were 'rested' on a number of occasions, but whether you could say they were dropped is another matter. But one thing does seem indisputable and that is that we did rely on the pair too much last season. People who say, or imply, that Doyle's form dropped because he signed a new contract and/or knew he was off in the summer anyway are overstating their case. The overriding issue was that he was playing through an injury, something that he has vowed never to allow happen again. Hunt did seem to lose the fight as our form dropped, but unfortunately our options were limited, mainly because he'd played so well up to January that there seemed little need to replace him. By the time it was obvious his early-season form wasn't going to come back, it was too late to do anything about it.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 16:23

Bikey, LR and Harper had to go because we had spent a large amount of money in the last six months on Doyle, Hunt, Kitson and Little and as a result could not afford their wages anymore. If we hadn't wasted our money on that lot, and gone and signed a real quality player in January then we would IMO be in the Premiership right now.

But as I say that's just my opinion.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Sep 2009 16:27

winchester_royal Bikey, LR and Harper had to go because we had spent a large amount of money in the last six months on Doyle, Hunt, Kitson and Little and as a result could not afford their wages anymore. If we hadn't wasted our money on that lot, and gone and signed a real quality player in January then we would IMO be in the Premiership right now.

No they had to go because we couldn't sustain their wages on a championship revenue irrespective of what we paid 4 players for a few months.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 29 Sep 2009 16:32

winchester_royal Bikey, LR and Harper had to go because we had spent a large amount of money in the last six months on Doyle, Hunt, Kitson and Little and as a result could not afford their wages anymore. If we hadn't wasted our money on that lot, and gone and signed a real quality player in January then we would IMO be in the Premiership right now.

Mr Hindsight's working overtime here. Kitson and Little didn't work, but at the time were generally welcomed by most people here

So you would have got rid of Doyle and Hunt in January to sign a"quality" player? Really?

Who? why would they have come to a club that despite being very much invloved in the promotion were willing to sell their best (perceived or otherwise) players?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2009 16:33

Vision

No they had to go because we couldn't sustain their wages on a championship revenue irrespective of what we paid 4 players for a few months.

We'd have had significantly more money in the coffers had not wasted the amount of money we did, and therefore could have kept at least 2.

222 posts