Griffin Saver!

236 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Griffin Saver!

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Jan 2010 14:04

Typical! Go for the bells and whistles yt leave the essential functionality behind :roll:

Can he defend? Can he tackle? Can he organise? Can he lead? Anything on top of this is a bonus.

He lacks pace now, but he will give McAnuff some more freedom to bomb forward, and not have to track back and cover quite as much as he has had to.

:roll:

Of course McAnuff HAS TO TRACK BACK! Just remind me how Victor Moses ripped a new arsehole for Jay Tabb.

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 12 Jan 2010 14:08

Terminal Boardom Typical! Go for the bells and whistles yt leave the essential functionality behind :roll:

Can he defend? Can he tackle? Can he organise? Can he lead? Anything on top of this is a bonus.

He lacks pace now, but he will give McAnuff some more freedom to bomb forward, and not have to track back and cover quite as much as he has had to.

Of course McAnuff HAS TO TRACK BACK! Just remind me how Victor Moses ripped a new arsehole for Jay Tabb.

I said "quite as much". As a winger, you want to feel comfortable that you have a competant defender behind you. He hasn't had that this season. Every player has their defensive responsibilties!

PS, nice bag.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 12 Jan 2010 14:36

Deathy I have never disliked a football shirt as much as that. Roll on the summer and another rip off Reading special home kit change.

+1. I loath the home shirt and that ridiculous chevron at the top that reminds me of a Wolves shirt every time I look at it.

total_biscuit

by total_biscuit » 12 Jan 2010 16:41

Not sure how to take this quote taken from the Beeb last October when he was considering a loan move to Boro ...

However after getting knocked out by Portsmouth on Tuesday night, the former Derby full-back admits he is ready to get some games under his belt.
"I would be interested in going out loan, as long as it's commutable every day and I can see my two boys, my little girl, and my wife every day.
"I've come to a point in my life when my family is more important than playing a little bit of football."

Certainly, I wouldn't like to commute from Stoke to Reading daily :?

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 12 Jan 2010 16:50

Just been speaking to the guy I know on the senior coaching staff at Stoke.

Griffin's well past his best defensively, got no pace or height and he's done well to get a Championship side to play for.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Jan 2010 17:05

Super Kevin Bremner! Just been speaking to the guy I know on the senior coaching staff at Stoke.

Griffin's well past his best defensively, got no pace or height and he's done well to get a Championship side to play for.

Funny that because he was performing decently in the Prem only 8 months ago....

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 12 Jan 2010 17:06

Would it be cynical of me to suspect that the reason we've gone to Stoke is that they might still owe us instalments for Kitson and Sonko? So no substantive outlay.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 12 Jan 2010 17:06

Not my opinion WR.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 12 Jan 2010 17:27

Griff never really looked great last season.

He is slow and will get shown up at times. But he's oxf*rd leader.

How does SKB know Des?

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 12 Jan 2010 17:49

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Griff never really looked great last season.

He is slow and will get shown up at times. But he's oxf*rd leader.

How does SKB know Des?

?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 12 Jan 2010 18:53

Well it either Mark O'Connor or Andy Quy.

Just trying to figure it out so I can abuse them.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Jan 2010 20:00

Terminal Boardom Typical! Go for the bells and whistles yt leave the essential functionality behind :roll:

I would have thought that in the modern game, the ability to do all of that plus get forward/overlap in attack is a prerequisite for a right/left back of any quality - and we are talking The Championship afterall.

winchester_royal
Super Kevin Bremner! Just been speaking to the guy I know on the senior coaching staff at Stoke.

And that's exactly what age and/or injury can do to a player. The same could, of course, have been said of Murty at one point.

I'm hoping that he turns out to be a very good player for this season but if he turns out to be nothing more than another cheap option of dubious quality then we (and ultimately tightarse himself) will pay dearly. We are currently having a good old drink in the last chance saloon of The Championship.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2010 20:06

RoyalBlue

I would have thought that in the modern game, the ability to do all of that plus get forward/overlap in attack is a prerequisite for a right/left back of any quality - and we are talking The Championship afterall.

winchester_royal

And that's exactly what age and/or injury can do to a player. The same could, of course, have been said of Murty at one point.

I'm hoping that he turns out to be a very good player for this season but if he turns out to be nothing more than another cheap option of dubious quality then we (and ultimately tightarse himself) will pay dearly. We are currently having a good old drink in the last chance saloon of The Championship.

about 24 months ago it could have been said about Murty.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 12 Jan 2010 20:23

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Well it either Mark O'Connor or Andy Quy.

Just trying to figure it out so I can abuse them.

Bit more senior than that mate

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Jan 2010 21:26

Right! Hot off the press from a cousin of mine who is a rabid Stokie

If you remember last season when Ricardo Fuller got sent off for hitting one of his teammates, that was Andy Griffin, who had just made a right horlicks of clearing a ball when we were 1-0 up at West Ham and comfortable. We lost, the two made up, but strangely it's Griffin who has come out of it all worse. Played less and less last season, has looked less mobile than the likes of Andy Wilkinson, less solid defensively than Robert Huth. Oddly enough given that he was a local lad and Pulis made him skipper, he seems to be leaving with his tail between his legs. I can only assume something was said between him and the boss and he's been for the high jump ever since. Nothing against him personally, he always gives it his best but his best is probably behind him

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 12 Jan 2010 21:32

Terminal Boardom Right! Hot off the press from a cousin of mine who is a rabid Stokie

If you remember last season when Ricardo Fuller got sent off for hitting one of his teammates, that was Andy Griffin, who had just made a right horlicks of clearing a ball when we were 1-0 up at West Ham and comfortable. We lost, the two made up, but strangely it's Griffin who has come out of it all worse. Played less and less last season, has looked less mobile than the likes of Andy Wilkinson, less solid defensively than Robert Huth. Oddly enough given that he was a local lad and Pulis made him skipper, he seems to be leaving with his tail between his legs. I can only assume something was said between him and the boss and he's been for the high jump ever since. Nothing against him personally, he always gives it his best but his best is probably behind him

In his video interview on the OS he seems to say quite clearly that he hasn't been playing because he had a row with Pulis. Remarkably straightforward and lacking in BS interview, none of the usual "I've always wanted to play for Reading" toss.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 12 Jan 2010 21:36

Ark Royal
Deathy I have never disliked a football shirt as much as that. Roll on the summer and another rip off Reading special home kit change.

+1. I loath the home shirt and that ridiculous chevron at the top that reminds me of a Wolves shirt every time I look at it.

We've had far worse in the past - what about the one early 90's that looked like TV interference?

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 12 Jan 2010 21:47

Mid Sussex Royal
Ark Royal

We've had far worse in the past - what about the one early 90's that looked like TV interference?

Don't you find it makes the team look like they're wearing sailor suits though?

Rax

by Rax » 12 Jan 2010 21:54

That was so bad it was cool - bit like the Red/Yellow hooped away kit a few years later!

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 12 Jan 2010 21:59

Terminal Boardom Right! Hot off the press from a cousin of mine who is a rabid Stokie

Nothing negative there at all. Fuller lost the plot and gave him a dry slap and there's been an atmoshphere ever since that's affected his form and confidence. A move away to club where he's wanted and valued and that will come back. Simples.

236 posts