Club must save £4 million

276 posts
under the tin

Re: Club must save £4 million

by under the tin » 29 Apr 2010 13:56

Hoop Blah Regarding the comment about the Premiership being a busted flush and us losing money in it...

The two years in the Premier League are, I'm 99% sure, the only seasons we've made a profit since Madejski took over.

On beddings Sidwell point, we could've afford Sidwell at a time but he knew he was onto a winner if he didn't sign a new contract. I don't think he would've signed a new one with us on any realistic amount so that's kind of a moot point.

Dirk has it just about right in my book. Coppells reluctance to spend on 2 or 3 players at a time when we were at our most attractive and financially stable (after finishing 8th) was the biggest single factor in our demise. Add in the fact that we basically gave up on trying to better ourselves by turning our back on playing in Europe and the players knew they'd all acheived all they could at the club.

That took away the edge we had amongst a squad of players trying to prove a point individually and as a team. The end result, relegation.

I totally agree with most of that HB. My point about the Prem not being the panacaea of riches seems, IMHO, to be borne out by the finances of the Prem clubs. How many of them are operating at a profit?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 29 Apr 2010 14:08

why do football clubs need to make a profit, what they need to do is live withing their means, and for all the talk it is not really a business is it????

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Apr 2010 14:09

Harpers So Solid Crew why do football clubs need to make a profit, what they need to do is live withing their means, and for all the talk it is not really a business is it????

Hmmmm, isn't "living within their means" the same thing as "don't go into the red" :?:

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 29 Apr 2010 14:18

under the tin
Hoop Blah Regarding the comment about the Premiership being a busted flush and us losing money in it...

The two years in the Premier League are, I'm 99% sure, the only seasons we've made a profit since Madejski took over.

On beddings Sidwell point, we could've afford Sidwell at a time but he knew he was onto a winner if he didn't sign a new contract. I don't think he would've signed a new one with us on any realistic amount so that's kind of a moot point.

Dirk has it just about right in my book. Coppells reluctance to spend on 2 or 3 players at a time when we were at our most attractive and financially stable (after finishing 8th) was the biggest single factor in our demise. Add in the fact that we basically gave up on trying to better ourselves by turning our back on playing in Europe and the players knew they'd all acheived all they could at the club.

That took away the edge we had amongst a squad of players trying to prove a point individually and as a team. The end result, relegation.

I totally agree with most of that HB. My point about the Prem not being the panacaea of riches seems, IMHO, to be borne out by the finances of the Prem clubs. How many of them are operating at a profit?
Still amazed we passed up European football. If ever there was a way to undermine "ambition".

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 29 Apr 2010 14:20

I think you can afford to run up a certain level of debt, much like we did when in the Premiership. You then have to react to any cuts in income, much like we have done.

I don't think a club has to be debt free to be well run.

United have a huge debt, but all financial analyst seem to say that it is a serviceable debt, due to their turn over.

Still hurts my head thinking of the deals Hammond put in place only for Coppell to reject...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Apr 2010 14:30

Coppells reluctance to spend on 2 or 3 players at a time when we were at our most attractive and financially stable

scott brown, john mensah

he identified, and had the money to spend for those two, who would have kept us up
his "mistake" was not then being willing to pay over the odds for his 2nd 3rd choice targets

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 29 Apr 2010 14:34

SpaceCruiser
Harpers So Solid Crew why do football clubs need to make a profit, what they need to do is live withing their means, and for all the talk it is not really a business is it????

Hmmmm, isn't "living within their means" the same thing as "don't go into the red" :?:

As already said is fine to have debt, so long as it is servicable, same as any debt.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Apr 2010 14:34

Lescott...

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 29 Apr 2010 14:34

readingbedding Lescott...

Bless you.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Apr 2010 14:43

brendywendy
Coppells reluctance to spend on 2 or 3 players at a time when we were at our most attractive and financially stable

scott brown, john mensah

he identified, and had the money to spend for those two, who would have kept us up
his "mistake" was not then being willing to pay over the odds for his 2nd 3rd choice targets

Interesting you mention those two. The first one refused to come to us. The second one, his club refused to entertain any bids, so our offer of £4m was turned down. Coppell couldn't do anything about them!

ReadingBedding Lescott...

He chose Everton over us, any amount of money was not going to persuade him to come to Reading.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Apr 2010 15:07

SpaceCruiser
brendywendy

scott brown, john mensah

Interesting you mention those two. The first one refused to come to us. The second one, his club refused to entertain any bids, so our offer of £4m was turned down. Coppell couldn't do anything about them!

ReadingBedding Lescott...

He chose Everton over us, any amount of money was not going to persuade him to come to Reading.

the post said coppell was reluctant to spend etc

im saying not on his 1st choice targets he wasnt offering more than most people thought wed spend in total on both

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 29 Apr 2010 15:28

"The feeling is that next season's Championship will be the biggest opportunity in years, given the quality of the clubs coming down and the financial restructuring."

Sheffield Wednesday chairman Lee Strafford

Huge chance for promotion next season. I'm not suggesting we should jeopardise our financial security....but if ever there was a season it stretch the budget a little then surely it is the forthcoming one...

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 29 Apr 2010 15:29

Seal "The feeling is that next season's Championship will be the biggest opportunity in years, given the quality of the clubs coming down and the financial restructuring."

Huge chance for promotion next season. I'm not suggesting we should jeopardise our financial security....but if ever there was a season it stretch the budget a little then surely it is the forthcoming one...

Why is the Sheff Wed chairman expressing a view on next season's Championship ?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Apr 2010 15:31

:lol:

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Apr 2010 15:34

Sun Tzu
Seal "The feeling is that next season's Championship will be the biggest opportunity in years, given the quality of the clubs coming down and the financial restructuring."

Maybe he's expressing a reason for them to stay in the Championship.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 29 Apr 2010 15:38

SpaceCruiser
Maybe he's expressing a reason for them to stay in the Championship.

Why would he need a 'reason' !!!!

Surely the whole point of being in a league is to stay in it and not get relegated, you don;t have to come up with 'reasons' !!

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Apr 2010 15:47

Sun Tzu

He feels that they have an opportunity to do well, should they stay up.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 29 Apr 2010 15:47

Damn, I forgot without an emoticon everyone takes everything at face value on here....

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 29 Apr 2010 15:50

Bit of an odd thing to say though. This season's championship has been 'wide open' apart from the top two (and even they weren't that good imo) but they're still in the bottom three with a game to go. Is he going to buy a whole new team?

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 29 Apr 2010 16:01

The search for the £4m doesnt appear to have put the bookies off ...early days admittedly, but Reading are joint second favourites for promotion next season ...that will no doubt shuffle about when the play off losers are confirmed :

Burnley 8
Q P R 12
Reading 12
Norwich 12
Ipswich 14
Portsmouth 16
Bristol City 16
Hull 20

276 posts