New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

by Royal Rother » 01 Jul 2009 20:58

It can do the club nothing but good if the word gets around about how well the manager treats players who are leaving.

"Reading always really looked after me and after the deal had been done with Wolves the new manager, (who I never actually played for) still took the time to take me through a dossier on my play, with interesting thoughts as to how he would have worked with me if I'd stayed..."

It all helps create a picture of a caring club. If you put out these good vibes they will come back to you at some time in the future... that might be a bit airy-fairy for some of you guys but it's all about karma, man! And it works!

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 13:41

If I was Doyle, I'd flick through it, be interested for about 10 mins then concentrate on what my new manager and set-up had to say.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 02 Jul 2009 14:00

Royalee Rodgers shows he's on the ball by speaking to a quality player who's sad to leave but has no choice as it's world cup year about what he wants to do at the club and how he'd love him to come back when he's begun the achieve some of that next season after we get a decent deal for him and in the same day all but ties up a deal for a decent player in Tommy Smith yet he gets ridiculed by some of you geniuses.

A few points: -

a) Didn't Bournemouth Tech run courses in how to write in sentences? (Or is that part of their Post Grad courses?)

b) How many people in Industry would issue "Strategy Documents" to (soon to be) ex-employees (Unless they were hoping their ideas to reach a wider audience)?

c) If he was keen to remind Doyle that he would be part of our future plans, why act the the media tart and let it be known to all and sundry?

d) This deal for Smith? Is it a done deal? and if so what makes it a good deal for RFC?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Jul 2009 14:03

readingbedding If I was Doyle, I'd flick through it, be interested for about 10 mins then concentrate on what my new manager and set-up had to say.

Well bully you!

A wise man would listen, file it in the 'learn about leadership' box and then go on to learn about his new boss. He'd also pull forward those thoughts on a regular basis (in his sub-conscious?) to help him develop.

A half-wit would listen for, be interested for about 10 minutes and then forget it. :wink:

It is no more than good leadership to carry out a decent exit interview. I would hope (and assume) that BR will also open the discussion for KD to let him know what he feels about leaving the club, what he would have done differently and what BR can learn from his experiences here. Certainly, when any member of my staff is transferred to another part of the organisation I do an exit chat with them and the key questions I ask are;
- what would you change about what we do, or how we do it?
- what do we get right and how can we build on that?
- is there anything that we don't do that we could?

- is there anything else that is burning and you want to discuss now that you are going.

The results are of real value so long as you don't knee-jerk react rather than looking for patterns. It also allows you to go into the remaining workforce and see if they feel the same way about any of the issues (assuming that you are the type of leader who takes any notice of his/her staff of course!)

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 02 Jul 2009 14:16

West Stand Man
readingbedding If I was Doyle, I'd flick through it, be interested for about 10 mins then concentrate on what my new manager and set-up had to say.

Well bully you!

A wise man would listen, file it in the 'learn about leadership' box and then go on to learn about his new boss. He'd also pull forward those thoughts on a regular basis (in his sub-conscious?) to help him develop.

A half-wit would listen for, be interested for about 10 minutes and then forget it. :wink:

It is no more than good leadership to carry out a decent exit interview. I would hope (and assume) that BR will also open the discussion for KD to let him know what he feels about leaving the club, what he would have done differently and what BR can learn from his experiences here. Certainly, when any member of my staff is transferred to another part of the organisation I do an exit chat with them and the key questions I ask are;

- is there anything else that is burning and you want to discuss now that you are going.

The results are of real value so long as you don't knee-jerk react rather than looking for patterns. It also allows you to go into the remaining workforce and see if they feel the same way about any of the issues (assuming that you are the type of leader who takes any notice of his/her staff of course!)

Agree totally, but why publish the fact that it took place?

You (I), wouldn't do it in our normal place of work. To me it smacks of a "Hey look at me" approach more similar to the likes of Phil Brown, Paul Jewell, Billy Davies than, say, David Moyes or (dare I say) Steve Coppell.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 02 Jul 2009 14:22

I worry about Brendan Rodgers, he has Mark McGhee's eyes!!!

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 02 Jul 2009 14:49

W&E Royal I worry about Brendan Rodgers, he has Mark McGhee's chins!!!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 02 Jul 2009 15:35

Quite.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jul 2009 15:42

Maybe it was as much a test run from Rodgers point of view and he had nothing to lose by using Doyle to see how a 'Reading player' will perceive his approach.

I don't see a problem with it, unless it's done badly, which from all reports it's unlikely to have been.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 02 Jul 2009 16:12

He probably just wants feedback from an established pro who was an integral part of the team's recent successful past. No current player's going to be quite as open in their judgment as Doyler will feel able to be. I agree it's strange they've mentioned it publicly, especially given the number of eeyores we've got for fans.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Jul 2009 16:18

Perhaps BR is thinking more long-term?

Kevin obviously loves the club and is only leaving because of the relative finances. BR giving him his exciting vision of where RFC is going now can only reinforce how good things are here, so that if Wolves go down and we go up there'll only be one club in KD's mind when he's looking to leave Wolves.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 02 Jul 2009 16:19

Dirk Gently Perhaps BR is thinking more long-term?

Kevin obviously loves the club and is only leaving because of the relative finances. BR giving him his exciting vision of where RFC is going now can only reinforce how good things are here, so that if Wolves go down and we go up there'll only be one club in KD's mind when he's looking to leave Wolves.

Villa?

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 16:25

West Stand Man

Well bully you!

David Brent is in the house.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jul 2009 16:27

readingbedding David Brent is in the house.

If Buck does the DB dance when we score ..........

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 16:38

Alan Partridge

Quite.

One day at training.

MMC: Ok Kev, whenever your back is to goal I want you to...
KD: But Mick, BR told me I should do this. (Points to a page on the 'dossier')
MMC: Ok, carry on.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Jul 2009 16:42

This thread convinces me once and for all that what I knew anyway - the thoughts and opinions on HNA bear no more than a passing resemblance to real life! :roll:

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular

by wolsey » 02 Jul 2009 17:04

Dirk Gently This thread convinces me once and for all that what I knew anyway - the thoughts and opinions on HNA bear no more than a passing resemblance to real life! :roll:

Please elucidate.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jul 2009 17:04

LOL @ the idiots dismissing it as stupid whilst knowing virtually nothing about it.

STAR Voice

by STAR Voice » 02 Jul 2009 17:16

I rarely venture into "The Team" forum, but as this thread is talking about the methods of Brendan Rodgers I'll share some of what I learnt this afternoon when I was one of 3 STAR Board members invited to meet Brendan and spend some time with him at Hogwood.

What he said was very open, honest and enlightening, as well as being extremely inspiring. He outlined to us his career so far, what makes him the best person for this role and the process of how he came to be appointed. He then talked very openly about his way of working, what's important to him, his football philosophy and his vision for Reading, as well as some of the nuts and bolts (e.g. transfers in progress, etc). It's clear that communication is vital to him (with everyone), and that he is extremely methodical and detail-focused.

I obviously won't share the sensitive stuff about individual players, but some of the things he had to say about his vision and philosophy is superb - and I'm sure just what every supporter wants to hear. This "dossier" that people have leapt to take the piss out is is actually a large book (way more than "80 pages") which outlines all of this vision and philosophy - together with tactics, formations, attributes for each player etc. Reading it certainly inspires me and convinces me that he does know exactly what he's talking about and that he thinks deeply about the game and what he wants to achieve with this club - which is clearly special to him. We asked him how long it took to put together and his reply was "15 years."

I'll write my thought and impressions of this meeting up in more detail for the STAR website in the next few days, but I've come away feeling inspired and extremely confident that he's the best man for this role and that he has the vision and skills to make a great success of it.

The Hobnob cynics will no doubt say I've fallen for his "spin" - believe that if you really want to but my impressions after today are overwhelmingly positive.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 17:16

And you can file that in the 'learn about leadership' box'

1747 posts