New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 17:20

STAR Campaigns I rarely venture into "The Team" forum, but as this thread is talking about the methods of Brendan Rodgers I'll share some of what I learnt this afternoon when I was one of 3 STAR Board members invited to meet Brendan and spend some time with him at Hogwood.

What he said was very open, honest and enlightening, as well as being extremely inspiring. He outlined to us his career so far, what makes him the best person for this role and the process of how he came to be appointed. He then talked very openly about his way of working, what's important to him, his football philosophy and his vision for Reading, as well as some of the nuts and bolts (e.g. transfers in progress, etc). It's clear that communication is vital to him (with everyone), and that he is extremely methodical and detail-focused.

I obviously won't share the sensitive stuff about individual players, but some of the things he had to say about his vision and philosophy is superb - and I'm sure just what every supporter wants to hear. This "dossier" that people have leapt to take the piss out is is actually a large book (way more than "80 pages") which outlines all of this vision and philosophy - together with tactics, formations, attributes for each player etc. Reading it certainly inspires me and convinces me that he does know exactly what he's talking about and that he thinks deeply about the game and what he wants to achieve with this club - which is clearly special to him. We asked him how long it took to put together and his reply was "15 years."

I'll write my thought and impressions of this meeting up in more detail for the STAR website in the next few days, but I've come away feeling inspired and extremely confident that he's the best man for this role and that he has the vision and skills to make a great success of it.

The Hobnob cynics will no doubt say I've fallen for his "spin" - believe that if you really want to but my impressions after today are overwhelmingly positive.

Good, what I knew all along, it's for his benefit, and hopefully the players' benefit that he manages as well.
But for players who leave, I doubt they'll stick to his interpretation if they clash with their new manager's interpretation.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 02 Jul 2009 17:32

STAR Campaigns I rarely venture into "The Team" forum, but as this thread is talking about the methods of Brendan Rodgers I'll share some of what I learnt this afternoon when I was one of 3 STAR Board members invited to meet Brendan and spend some time with him at Hogwood.

What he said was very open, honest and enlightening, as well as being extremely inspiring. He outlined to us his career so far, what makes him the best person for this role and the process of how he came to be appointed. He then talked very openly about his way of working, what's important to him, his football philosophy and his vision for Reading, as well as some of the nuts and bolts (e.g. transfers in progress, etc). It's clear that communication is vital to him (with everyone), and that he is extremely methodical and detail-focused.

I obviously won't share the sensitive stuff about individual players, but some of the things he had to say about his vision and philosophy is superb - and I'm sure just what every supporter wants to hear. This "dossier" that people have leapt to take the piss out is is actually a large book (way more than "80 pages") which outlines all of this vision and philosophy - together with tactics, formations, attributes for each player etc. Reading it certainly inspires me and convinces me that he does know exactly what he's talking about and that he thinks deeply about the game and what he wants to achieve with this club - which is clearly special to him. We asked him how long it took to put together and his reply was "15 years."

I'll write my thought and impressions of this meeting up in more detail for the STAR website in the next few days, but I've come away feeling inspired and extremely confident that he's the best man for this role and that he has the vision and skills to make a great success of it.

The Hobnob cynics will no doubt say I've fallen for his "spin" - believe that if you really want to but my impressions after today are overwhelmingly positive.
Don't get me wrong, I'm no cynic and I'm looking forward to BR's tenure with enthusiasm. The kind of attention to detail you and RR are impressed by is very important and I'd hope that the dreaded dossier would play an important part in his communication with the other coaches, Hammond, and the board. There's a fine line to walk here, though, and I'm skeptical that too many presentations and too much literature is the right approach with the players. I'm not proposing going back to Malcolm Allison or John Bond. Just no matter how much it may look like progressive methods and modern communication philosophy to us, it may end up as a bit of a joke in the dressing room. He's moving into new territory and his success hitherto does not make him immune to management errors.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 17:56

Exactly, and just because some super-fan 'I obviously won't share the sensitive stuff about individual players...' can't see that some RFC fans are taking the pis* about it, is not really anyone's problem but his own.

Anyway, what he has in his bumper book of tactics is for his benefit, none of my business.
I'm sure most managers these days have a database or some kind of documentation...

I really hope he does great, but I'm going to wait and see what happens on the pitch, that's what counts.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 02 Jul 2009 18:02

readingbedding Exactly, and just because some super-fan 'I obviously won't share the sensitive stuff about individual players...' can't see that some RFC fans are taking the pis* about it, is not really anyone's problem but his own.

What a stupid stupid thing to say. :lol:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jul 2009 18:07

When is Coppell's promotion party happening then readingbedding? You clearly have such brilliant judgement of what makes good management based on last year's belief in he who has departed.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 18:19

Royalee When is Coppell's promotion party happening then readingbedding? You clearly have such brilliant judgement of what makes good management based on last year's belief in he who has departed.

It's been postponed until this year.
The RFC books will be kind to Coppell.
He's gone now my little friend.
It's just funny that people are getting a complete boner about
a manager that has superb preperation and what sounds like a comprehensive database.
It's not a first, as a fan I'd expect this.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 18:21

Royal Rother
readingbedding Exactly, and just because some super-fan 'I obviously won't share the sensitive stuff about individual players...' can't see that some RFC fans are taking the pis* about it, is not really anyone's problem but his own.

What a stupid stupid thing to say. :lol:

oh no.
I bet the rest was excellent though!!!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jul 2009 18:25

readingbedding
Royalee When is Coppell's promotion party happening then readingbedding? You clearly have such brilliant judgement of what makes good management based on last year's belief in he who has departed.

It's been postponed until this year.
The RFC books will be kind to Coppell.
He's gone now my little friend.
It's just funny that people are getting a complete boner about
a manager that has superb preperation and what sounds like a comprehensive database.
It's not a first, as a fan I'd expect this.

Why? You were happy without it.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 02 Jul 2009 18:33

Coppell has gone.
The twice winning LMA manager has left the building.
Let's concentrate on the new man and this coming season shall we?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jul 2009 18:35

readingbedding Coppell has gone.

I wish you would instead of ridiculing the new man before the players have even come back for pre season you halfwit.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 02 Jul 2009 20:46

Royalee
readingbedding Coppell has gone.

I wish you would instead of ridiculing the new man before the players have even come back for pre season you halfwit.

What? In the same way that you are declaring the new regime an unqualified success (and improvement on anything we have had before) without actually seeing anything done?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 02 Jul 2009 21:16

Not sure what to think about a dossier.

On the one hand Rodgers is clearly trying to create a menatlity within the club, forging very close and individual relationships with the players. A very different approach than Coppell.

On the other hand how much attention will the player pay to such thing? Will they all buy into this way of thinking? Football is not the real world, they don't respond to the things we would.

A great man once said "Football is a simple game made complicated by people who should know better."

I think it's fair to say Shankly knew what he was talking about.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jul 2009 21:16

The proof will be in the pudding come this season.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jul 2009 21:17

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Not sure what to think about a dossier.

On the one hand Rodgers is clearly trying to create a menatlity within the club, forging very close and individual relationships with the players. A very different approach than Coppell.

On the other hand how much attention will the player pay to such thing? Will they all buy into this way of thinking? Football is not the real world, they don't respond to the things we would.

A great man once said "Football is a simple game made complicated by people who should know better."

Hasn't Rodgers kinda shown signs of agreement with that statement given how he's said he's going to change training?

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 02 Jul 2009 21:33

Royalee

Hasn't Rodgers kinda shown signs of agreement with that statement given how he's said he's going to change training?

What he say??

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Jul 2009 21:54

Said the other week about changing the training to get the players to enjoy it more by focusing more on the ballwork and playing side of the game as opposed to overdoing the sports science and so forth.
http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1688482,00.html

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 Jul 2009 21:58

"Dossier" is the wrong word - it's more of a statement of beliefs and values, on how the game should be played and how the game should be played and what the role and qualities of each player should be. Vision... culture .. philosphy etc.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 02 Jul 2009 23:09

Dirk, isnt that you? Surley you come on to the Team board all the time dont you? :lol:

Interesting that he had you in for a chat, and interesting that you were so impressed

I like his approach, and I remember Mourinho having similar dossiers to explain his approach to the players at Chelsea and his briefing documents for each player for each game

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 02 Jul 2009 23:09

Dirk Gently

"Dossier" is the wrong word - it's more of a statement of beliefs and values, on how the game should be played and how the game should be played and what the role and qualities of each player should be. Vision... culture .. philosphy etc.

Well when you put it like that....

Friday's Child

by Friday's Child » 03 Jul 2009 07:09

Southbank Old Boy
I like his approach, and I remember Mourinho having similar dossiers to explain his approach to the players at Chelsea and his briefing documents for each player for each game

At the moment, I feel as if we have actually got Jose Mourinho in charge, minus the Amex adverts. If Rodgers is even half as good as Mourinho, we will be in for great success.

1747 posts