Re: New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

by Royalee » 03 Jul 2009 18:24

He is brilliant.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jul 2009 18:30

He's certainly not quiet and reserved.

He talks the talk, I want to see his players walk the walk.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 03 Jul 2009 19:37

You've been watching Full Metal Jacket too much Ian.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 03 Jul 2009 19:54

Royalee He is brilliant.

Hold your horses, we haven't even played a friendly yet. His noises are encouraging though.

warrpp

by warrpp » 03 Jul 2009 20:02

to star campaigns

you say that rodgers mentioned which players he's trying to sign ?

obviously you can't name names, but are they players who most reading fans would have heard of ?

just wondered if he's going down the loaning premiership youngsters route or the established championship player route ?

basically, just to get an idea of what type of player we are after tbh.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Jul 2009 20:07

STAR Campaigns Firstly, we will be posting a lot more about the meeting and our impressions from it over the weekend, but HNA? isn't the right place for that - it'll go onto the STAR website, where it can be linked to from here.

And to answer RL's question, BR was extremely open and honest - far more than we're used to with the previous regime. He talked about how he's planning to manage specific players, which players he's trying to sign and why, which players have expressed an interest in joining. As an example of how open he is, he's planning to allow supporters into Hogwood to watch training sessions, and he's ordered that the gates are open rather than locked and closed all the time.

Now he may well be happy for everything that he said to come out into the public domain - but I doubt that, and I don't want to jeopardise STAR's relationship with him and the club by making that judgement myself so I will always err of the side of caution - in my professional career I've learnt that that is nearly always the best policy. You can share a secret later but you can't un-tell it. Personally I think BR actually told us more than we needed to know, and that putting details of the current transfer targets out onto a public message board could maybe harm these deals and what he's trying to achieve. I regret mentioning them in my previous post if it leads to accusations of look-at-me-ism, but I was trying to make the point that BR is very open and honest and has big plans for Reading that I think most supporters would welcome.

And yes, whilst STAR does represent the supporters (or, more technically, our members - they are a sub-set of the total fan base) that doesn't necessarily mean in the guise of information gathering on their behalf. It's like the difference between newspapers publishing things "in the public interest" or publishing things that "interest the public". STAR's role isn't to provide information to damp down or inflame speculation on a message-board about what will happen on the pitch or transfer targets etc - no matter how many people want to know or how interesting that might be in a football-less summer. I enjoy the speculation and gossip of HNA? as much as the next person, and hate times like this where I can't join in - perhaps it was a mistake to venture onto "The Team" in an "official capacity."

Finally, for readingbedding, who seems to have more chips on his shoulder about BR than a branch of McCains - if you really must try and put value judgements on being a supporter, I don't hold myself worthy to touch the hem of supporters like Paul Black and even some of those I go to games with when it when it comes to dedication and longevity of support. I just put the hours in between matches to try and improve the issues that affect supporters and to help them have a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes in the game so they can participate more in football.

Nice post, sounds encouraging. Also, thanks to STAR for the good work you continue to do, it does go appreciated by some.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Jul 2009 20:45

Royalee
STAR Campaigns Firstly, we will be posting a lot more about the meeting and our impressions from it over the weekend, but HNA? isn't the right place for that - it'll go onto the STAR website, where it can be linked to from here.

And to answer RL's question, BR was extremely open and honest - far more than we're used to with the previous regime. He talked about how he's planning to manage specific players, which players he's trying to sign and why, which players have expressed an interest in joining. As an example of how open he is, he's planning to allow supporters into Hogwood to watch training sessions, and he's ordered that the gates are open rather than locked and closed all the time.

Now he may well be happy for everything that he said to come out into the public domain - but I doubt that, and I don't want to jeopardise STAR's relationship with him and the club by making that judgement myself so I will always err of the side of caution - in my professional career I've learnt that that is nearly always the best policy. You can share a secret later but you can't un-tell it. Personally I think BR actually told us more than we needed to know, and that putting details of the current transfer targets out onto a public message board could maybe harm these deals and what he's trying to achieve. I regret mentioning them in my previous post if it leads to accusations of look-at-me-ism, but I was trying to make the point that BR is very open and honest and has big plans for Reading that I think most supporters would welcome.

And yes, whilst STAR does represent the supporters (or, more technically, our members - they are a sub-set of the total fan base) that doesn't necessarily mean in the guise of information gathering on their behalf. It's like the difference between newspapers publishing things "in the public interest" or publishing things that "interest the public". STAR's role isn't to provide information to damp down or inflame speculation on a message-board about what will happen on the pitch or transfer targets etc - no matter how many people want to know or how interesting that might be in a football-less summer. I enjoy the speculation and gossip of HNA? as much as the next person, and hate times like this where I can't join in - perhaps it was a mistake to venture onto "The Team" in an "official capacity."

Finally, for readingbedding, who seems to have more chips on his shoulder about BR than a branch of McCains - if you really must try and put value judgements on being a supporter, I don't hold myself worthy to touch the hem of supporters like Paul Black and even some of those I go to games with when it when it comes to dedication and longevity of support. I just put the hours in between matches to try and improve the issues that affect supporters and to help them have a better understanding of what goes on behind the scenes in the game so they can participate more in football.

Nice post, sounds encouraging. Also, thanks to STAR for the good work you continue to do, it does go appreciated by some.

I preferred you when you were an asshole.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Jul 2009 20:47

I know, I was more fun wasn't I? readingbedding's trying the role of asshole for the summer but he's having trouble filling my boots because he doesn't have a clue what he's on about when he predicts promotion parties and lacks the charisma of myself.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jul 2009 22:01

Royalee I know, I was more fun wasn't I? readingbedding's trying the role of asshole for the summer but he's having trouble filling my boots because he doesn't have a clue what he's on about when he predicts promotion parties and lacks the charisma of myself.

His approach is certainly more oblique. I vastly prefer this new you. It means I can concentrate fully on snowball.

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 03 Jul 2009 22:02

To Star Campaigns.

I've touched Paul Black's hem. I felt horny.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 05 Jul 2009 21:36

Royalee He is not Coppell.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 05 Jul 2009 21:38

Oh and a TOTP to boot.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Jul 2009 21:48

Sold out to the BR clique. No ambition, all talk, all spin, no delivery.

If we finish in the top 12 this season I will be amazed. We can never go/look back, SC has gone, but BR is not the way forward for this club.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 05 Jul 2009 22:11

Make sure you log that and order your humble pie

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 Jul 2009 22:19

Can we draw up a list of all the posters badmouthing Rodgers now so we can put them in their place in a year's time?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jul 2009 22:20

Royalee Can we draw up a list of all the posters badmouthing Rodgers now so we can put them in their place in a year's time?

Why, it never worked with you.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 05 Jul 2009 22:20

?

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 05 Jul 2009 22:27

Royalee ?

:lol: :lol: