Pauno out

3542 posts
Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Pauno out

by Millsy » 10 Jan 2022 17:19

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
Getthebeerens Anyone else concerned that Pauno isn't going any where soon ?

His comments about January being a hard month suggests to me that maybe the owners are expecting this and are giving him time.

Either way need to back the team even if you don't back the manager in the next few games as we need points quickly.

I'll be surprised if he sees out the month. He's been on borrowed time for the odd positive result and postponements since the beginning of November.

I also thought our league form since Nov had been sh1te but its actually been 2-3-2 so mid table.

It just feels bad due to lack of points re covid and Sat & Derby.

If so, it's the point I've been making on the relegation thread.

However I've not checked the maths but Stranded above suggests since our good run it's been relegation form. I'd rather go with that as it's a longer stretch of games and so not cherry picking as much.

Going by the whole season we're obvious ok.. but it is clearer to me now that the burst of several games of great form early on was quite isolated. Who knows if we'll get another burst of good games.

Getthebeerens

by Getthebeerens » 10 Jan 2022 17:21

Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal
Getthebeerens Anyone else concerned that Pauno isn't going any where soon ?

His comments about January being a hard month suggests to me that maybe the owners are expecting this and are giving him time.

Either way need to back the team even if you don't back the manager in the next few games as we need points quickly.

I'll be surprised if he sees out the month. He's been on borrowed time for the odd positive result and postponements since the beginning of November.

I also thought our league form since Nov had been sh1te but its actually been 2-3-2 so mid table.

I think I have been more annoyed about the performance and then the interviews after the game than the actual results.

The ideal world is Pauno sorts it all out but I can't say I'm convinced. Good to see STAR have contacted the club as I'm sure a lot of our issues are above Paunos head.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 10 Jan 2022 17:43

Pauno is clearly not going to sort anything out. I’ve lost count of how many opportunities he’s had to show he’s learning but he’s incapable of that. It is just mind boggling how he does the same shit constantly when it’s clearly not working.

A leopard doesn’t change it spots and he’s a really, really shit leopard. He might know a thing or two about coaching (though I’m yet to see any tangible evidence that supports this) but he doesn’t have what it takes to be a first team manager. Poor judgment and poor decision making, awful tactics and a damning reluctance to adapt or change an approach which doesn’t work. It’s been apparent for a ridiculously long time.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Jan 2022 17:52

CountryRoyal Pauno is clearly not going to sort anything out. I’ve lost count of how many opportunities he’s had to show he’s learning but he’s incapable of that. It is just mind boggling how he does the same shit constantly when it’s clearly not working.

A leopard doesn’t change it spots and he’s a really, really shit leopard. He might know a thing or two about coaching (though I’m yet to see any tangible evidence that supports this) but he doesn’t have what it takes to be a first team manager. Poor judgment and poor decision making, awful tactics and a damning reluctance to adapt or change an approach which doesn’t work. It’s been apparent for a ridiculously long time.

100% this

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 10 Jan 2022 17:55

Yep agree with CR too. He doesn’t learn and is very negative.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2022 18:07

We seem to be really good at hiring new coaches who prop up an incompentent manager before leaving for better things and letting the house of cards come tumbling down. Reid, O'Shea...

Have we considered going through the normal recruitment process, and then switching at the last second to the unrelated recently former player we intend to appoint as a coach to help?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Jan 2022 14:00

Snowflake Royal We seem to be really good at hiring new coaches who prop up an incompentent manager before leaving for better things and letting the house of cards come tumbling down. Reid, O'Shea...

Have we considered going through the normal recruitment process, and then switching at the last second to the unrelated recently former player we intend to appoint as a coach to help?

There’s a recruitment process? :shock:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jan 2022 14:11

Snowflake Royal We seem to be really good at hiring new coaches who prop up an incompentent manager before leaving for better things and letting the house of cards come tumbling down. Reid, O'Shea...

O'Shea only left because he wanted to spend time focussing on getting his UEFA Badges, he hasn't gone on to do anything within the game. Would not be upset if we took a punt on him as future manager once he's done.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2022 14:11

Not sure - that might be true or it may just be a coincidence. Stam got found out, and how we played did seem very much Stam's way rather than Reid. Where is O'Shea at the moment? Genuine question, where did he end up

Been very unimpressed with Pauno and don't think he'll exactly turn things round. Just reflecting on where the club is, I am concerned that he is literally the only one in any sort of position that matters who has any clue about football whatsoever. If he goes, who comes in - who makes that choice? We need a football man as DOF asap. I don't know who actually suggests to sack him and find someone else. Kia?

Almost thinking best worst case is Pauno stays on. At least for now. And just gets our backing as slightly better than whatever chaos happens if he goes. Not a great situation

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Jan 2022 14:34

I've still got faith that Pauno can turn it around, we've been on bad runs before and recovered and he's certainly had his back pinned against the wall for all of this season, from game one to now, that can't be denied. I will admit he's got his faults but I think he's a genuinely decent manager and decent person that would probably do well if the club was in a situation for somebody to do well.

I think a natural replacement would be someone who has a philosophy for possession-based football. Gomes had us trying to play with possession more, Pauno has been the same and god knows where Bowen fits in but we actually looked like a team under him that were better when we had possession of the ball and that's the same with Pauno and Gomes as well as the grand master of possession, Stam.

I think that's where we have found our success in games, it's just a shame our players, who lack the ugly/nasty side of the game, can't produce the results for that reason.

Alex Neil would be the obvious, known, replacement as he's always tried to have his teams playing with possession. That's where I don't think Ainsworth would fit in, but he would shore up the uglier side of the game, I'm just not sure it suits who we have now.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Jan 2022 15:13

Millsy
Mid Sussex Royal
Snowflake Royal I'll be surprised if he sees out the month. He's been on borrowed time for the odd positive result and postponements since the beginning of November.

However I've not checked the maths but Stranded above suggests since our good run it's been relegation form. I'd rather go with that as it's a longer stretch of games and so not cherry picking as much.

Going by the whole season we're obvious ok.. but it is clearer to me now that the burst of several games of great form early on was quite isolated. Who knows if we'll get another burst of good games.

Yep form over past 6 is OK - 15th in the form table but we drop off if you extend the window.

8 games = 18th
10 games = 22nd

Dixie Norm

by Dixie Norm » 11 Jan 2022 15:34

We need a football man as DOF asap. I don't know who actually suggests to sack him and find someone else. Kia?

I think not having a DoF is a huge issue. If the rumours are true that Kia has the owners ear then who is actually advising / calling the shots at the club? An agent? The current management structure absolutely stinks and the club needs to provide transparency on what the actual set-up is.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Jan 2022 15:45

Stranded
Millsy
Mid Sussex Royal

Yep form over past 6 is OK - 15th in the form table but we drop off if you extend the window.

8 games = 18th
10 games = 22nd

Yes. Thanks.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2022 15:46

Dixie Norm
We need a football man as DOF asap. I don't know who actually suggests to sack him and find someone else. Kia?

I think not having a DoF is a huge issue. If the rumours are true that Kia has the owners ear then who is actually advising / calling the shots at the club? An agent? The current management structure absolutely stinks and the club needs to provide transparency on what the actual set-up is.

Yep and an agent who himself has no football background. Weird place to be atm

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Jan 2022 16:23

We like to blame Kia, irritating foreign chap.

But in fairness I don't think our signings have been any more awful than usual. Some very good players, some duds.

I guess it must be the ridiculous contracts and wages that's the issue though?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2022 16:31

Millsy We like to blame Kia, irritating foreign chap.

But in fairness I don't think our signings have been any more awful than usual. Some very good players, some duds.

I guess it must be the ridiculous contracts and wages that's the issue though?

not even that really as sounds like he has got us good deals at times. Its the lack of transparency, motivations, accountability and obviously lack of football knowledge if he is pulling the strings

Dixie Norm

by Dixie Norm » 11 Jan 2022 16:39

We like to blame Kia, irritating foreign chap.

Not sure why you bring the fact he's foreign into it and I'm also not putting any blame at Kia's door. My issue is that he seems to have internal involvement at the club. What exactly is he doing? What input does he have? Are there not conflicts of interest there? All questions that would be nice to get an answer from the club.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 11 Jan 2022 20:16

Pauno out

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 11 Jan 2022 21:46

No one else want Pauno out?