Madman: Your time is Uppppppppppp

181 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Madman: Your time is Uppppppppppp

by Terminal Boardom » 01 Sep 2010 10:37

When the daft old coot took over, he was pumping between £25k and £40k to keep the club alive. He succeeded and for that I am grateful. However, my take is that he sees no reason why he should continue to subsidise the football club and that the club should stand on its own financial feet and be self financing. Hence the £4m shortfall predicted at the start of this season and the need for high earners to go (Cisse, Matejovsky) and to reduce the wage bill further (Henry).

As reported elsewhere on HNA? the suggestion is that the likes of Long, Feds, MacAnuff and Gylfi have been prostituted to all comers in an attempt to generate further capital into the coffers. Well, Gylfi has gone.

This leaves us with a Chairman who has no interest in financially supporting the club any more. What use is that to the football club? Football is a strange commodity insomuch that very few clubs are run profitably. There has always been a need for a wealthy benefactor to provide funds in order that clubs can compete. What the Chairman has done is to remove Reading FC's ability to be competitive. This course of action will only end one way and that will be with relegation from the Championship.

We got lucky last season with the removal of BR and BMcD's acquisition of Zurab and Griff. I would not be in the least surprised if, come the January transfer window, we are in the mire that all of a sudden 2 or 3 loan signings appear in a vain attempt to keep us in this division.

I make no bones about this. In the 1980s and 1990s, the Chairman kept the club going. But now he is letting it die and the sale of Gylfi coupled with the underwhelming incomings of a 33 year old League 1 full back and a Georgian international that no-one else in Europe wanted to touch simply confirms this approach.

Sir John Madeski. Your time has been and gone. Please do the honourable thing and sell the club now to someone who wants to take the club forward. We do not want to stagnate any more.

181 posts