DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

934 posts
Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Bradley Wright Phillips

by Arch » 09 Jan 2011 17:04

RoyalBlue Madejski would be the first to point out that, by and large, you get what you pay for. If that wasn't true, then why does he splash out on very expensive cars, rather than going for cheaper versions?!

The cars are an indulgence; the football club is not. You may wish it were otherwise, but there it is.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: MORE THAN A RUMOUR - Bradley Wright Phillips

by RoyalBlue » 09 Jan 2011 17:06

Ian Royal It's a poor analogy - cars only depreciate in value and don't improve in performance at all, if anything it degrades over time. You get exactly what you buy at the time. That isn't the case with people, or footballers.

Actually, I believe you are wrong there. The type of cars Madejski buys don't necessarily depreciate in value and performance cars can improve in performance! They're not at their best when driven for the very first time!

As you don't like that analogy - try this one.

You want a decent apple as soon as possible. What gives you the best chance of fulfilling that. Planting a few seeds picked up at your corner shop and hoping they'll come good eventually or buying an established tree from a decent nursery? The former will be a lot cheaper but the latter is more likely to get the results you are hoping for.

So generally you do get what you are paying for.

Arch
RoyalBlue Madejski would be the first to point out that, by and large, you get what you pay for. If that wasn't true, then why does he splash out on very expensive cars, rather than going for cheaper versions?!

The cars are an indulgence; the football club is not. You may wish it were otherwise, but there it is.

What the he chooses to spend his money on is irrelevant to this argument. I'm sure 'Sir' would usually acknowledge that in all walks of life and with all things, by and large you do get what you pay for.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that in the past he did refer to the football club as a bit of an indulgence!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 09 Jan 2011 17:13

Do apples have contracts that have nearly expired, and when they do you can get them for free :roll:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Jan 2011 17:20

I can't believe anyone would look past the facts of this signing.

Plymouth aren't selling Bradley Wright Phillips because the guy isn't any good.

Plymouth MUST raise £500k by the end of January. Otherwise it's goodnight to Cornwall's 2nd biggest club.

Bradley Wright Phillips under normal circumstances would be the same sort of price as Austin. £1million + with the selling club bumping the fee up to it's maximum to scare teams off, and if they get silly offers getting the best for thier clubs.

Plymouth have no choice but to sell to the first buyer offering any sort of fair sum that will help them pay off their debt. He is out of contract at the end of the season and due to their transfer embargo they can not offer him a new one.

Reading have picked up the top goalscorer in League 1 at 1/4 of his true value.

That is great business and a great signing.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 09 Jan 2011 17:23

RoyalBlue
Arch

What the he chooses to spend his money on is irrelevant to this argument. I'm sure 'Sir' would usually acknowledge that in all walks of life and with all things, by and large you do get what you pay for.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that in the past he did refer to the football club as a bit of an indulgence!

Since we're going back to his previously expressed views, I'm pretty sure he has more than once opined that you do not get what you pay for in football. Players are obscenely overpriced and overpaid, in his view. His (perhaps unrepresentative) experience is also that when you go into seven figures you lose more often than you win.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Jan 2011 17:25

Alan Partridge I can't believe anyone would look past the facts of this signing.

Plymouth MUST raise £500k by the end of January. Otherwise it's goodnight to Cornwall's 2nd biggest club.

Bradley Wright Phillips under normal circumstances would be the same sort of price as Austin. £1million + with the selling club bumping the fee up to it's maximum to scare teams off, and if they get silly offers getting the best for thier clubs.

Plymouth have no choice but to sell to the first buyer offering any sort of fair sum that will help them pay off their debt. He is out of contract at the end of the season and due to their transfer embargo they can not offer him a new one.

Fair points made and at least we have got our wish of another striker but i just hope they do try get austin in as well

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Jan 2011 17:25

loyalroyal4life
Alan Partridge I can't believe anyone would look past the facts of this signing.

Fair points made and at least we have got our wish of another striker but i just hope they do try get austin in as well

No chance this window.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Jan 2011 17:36

'Blackpool are believed to have offered a fee in the region of £20,000-£30,000 for the League One top scorer'

That would be a bargain :P

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 09 Jan 2011 17:38

Ian Royal Personally I don't get RL's comment. Why would we pay more for the sake of it just to impress people?

If you want to take the car analogy, you don't pick up a sports car for £80k when you can pick up a different one of similar performance quality from a dealership that's in danger of going under and needs to shift stock so the price is £40k.

You certainly don't understand my comments. I didn't suggest we pay more to impress people. :roll:

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 09 Jan 2011 18:04

FWIW, BBC local TV news in the SW giving strong hints that it's a done deal, although nothing official of course.

roll over boltonhoven

by roll over boltonhoven » 09 Jan 2011 18:11

saw B W-P on Tues eve against Bristol Rovers and his pace was frightening, his movement full of intelligence, his control faultless and his finishing clinical. Plymouth fans were singing "he's better than Shaun, he's better than Shaun, BW-P, he's better than Shaun" and I can see why... even allowing for the weak opposition, he would clearly cut it at championship level and would be an excellent option for Reading. Buy buy buy!!

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 09 Jan 2011 18:15

You are all aware he has a dodgy knee right?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 09 Jan 2011 18:18

NR_Royal You are all aware he has a dodgy knee right?

If it's that bad, he won't pass the medical.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Jan 2011 18:22

NR_Royal You are all aware he has a dodgy knee right?

Int he same way that every player who has done the knee ligaments has? Even those that go on to play a lengthy career without ever suffering another problem with it?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jan 2011 18:29

This ^ this ^ this^ this^ this ^ THIS ^thIS ^ ThIs^ ThiS^

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Bradley Wright Phillips

by Royal With Cheese » 09 Jan 2011 18:34

Royal With Cheese Yes. 140 odd 1st and 2nd division appearances and 24 goals. Should fit in well at the Mad Stad.

Haven't really changed my mind over the last few weeks.

However, if confidence is the key (as with Longy at the moment) we'll be getting someone who thinks he is on top of his game.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 09 Jan 2011 18:41

How long will this take?...if the fee and terms were agreed yesterday and he was having a medical today, anyone know when it will be confirmed, or does he need scans and that?

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 09 Jan 2011 19:22

Linden Jones' Tash How long will this take?...if the fee and terms were agreed yesterday and he was having a medical today, anyone know when it will be confirmed, or does he need scans and that?

I'm guessing at maybe the complication of a. Holding press conferences on a Sunday and b. Getting the permission from the bodies on a Sunday as well. 11am tomorrow maybe, would seem sensible?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jan 2011 19:23

its a weekend thing, or a they wait for another signing and unveil both as a double wammy

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jan 2011 19:29

Royal Lady
Ian Royal Personally I don't get RL's comment. Why would we pay more for the sake of it just to impress people?

If you want to take the car analogy, you don't pick up a sports car for £80k when you can pick up a different one of similar performance quality from a dealership that's in danger of going under and needs to shift stock so the price is £40k.

You certainly don't understand my comments. I didn't suggest we pay more to impress people. :roll:

Then I apologise, but that's certainly what you seemed to be saying. We've got the player we want. We got him for a good price... surely that's the end of it and no amount of how much we've payed in the past for people comes into anything.

934 posts