This Looks Nice

221 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: This Looks Nice

by Maguire » 02 Feb 2012 12:19

Wimb Snowball in moving the goalposts non-shocker.

Oh and again for teh lulz

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=103799&start=80&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&p=2821016&view=show#p2821016

lol, I think that thread summed it all up rather nicely, of you'll pardon the pun

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Feb 2012 12:23

I think it must be said that recent form just about shades it for Brum, since Nov 1st, 1 point better than rfc, lat seven 2 points better, and now 4 wins on the trot and scoring for fun.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 02 Feb 2012 12:25

Snowball

and how exactly have I moved the goalposts?

I could probably produce some stats based on the middle 3 pages of this thread in comparison to your 8673 statistical posts overall, then cross-reference that to the number of times Vision has said the word THE, mix in a comparison with the number of times you've used the words Shane Long in a 5 week period and come up with an answer but I just don't have the time these days.

I admire your determination and thorough stat keeping though, oh except for when you didn't keep 'major contribution' stats until they became relevant to show how good Ian Harte was.... :roll:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2012 12:36

Wimb
Snowball

and how exactly have I moved the goalposts?

I could probably produce some stats based on the middle 3 pages of this thread in comparison to your 8673 statistical posts overall, then cross-reference that to the number of times Vision has said the word THE, mix in a comparison with the number of times you've used the words Shane Long in a 5 week period and come up with an answer but I just don't have the time these days.

I admire your determination and thorough stat keeping though, oh except for when you didn't keep 'major contribution' stats until they became relevant to show how good Ian Harte was.... :roll:

So you FAILED to show I've just moved the goalposts.

As for Major Contributions they, in 90-95% of cases mean "assists"

But there ARE occasions (like Kebe's incredible run last season) where a player
is a major part of a goal but "technically" is not awarded any formal recognition.

I've kept the stat now for the whole of the season and so far have found just three.

Wowzer, that must ruin the stats.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2012 12:39

The only reason I started writing MCs was to save space, actually

If you mean "half-assists" (and I was giving half not a full) that was
for (for example) the Harte cross which "made Kebe's goal"

but it happened that Church touched it before it crossed the line

I KNOW Kebe doesn't get the goal officially, but the spirit of the thing
is it was Harte's cross and kebe's goal

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Feb 2012 12:52

Harpers So Solid Crew I think it must be said that recent form just about shades it for Brum, since Nov 1st, 1 point better than rfc, lat seven 2 points better, and now 4 wins on the trot and scoring for fun.

Oh and if they had played their game in hand, home to Pompy their 22 game form would also be better.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Feb 2012 13:06

Best Snowball moment for me was when he produced a ream of stats to show why we would beat Bristol City at home a few years ago.

That result again: Reading 0-2 Bristol City.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 02 Feb 2012 13:09

Snowball The only reason I started writing MCs was to save space, actually

If you mean "half-assists" (and I was giving half not a full) that was
for (for example) the Harte cross which "made Kebe's goal"

but it happened that Church touched it before it crossed the line

I KNOW Kebe doesn't get the goal officially, but the spirit of the thing
is it was Harte's cross and kebe's goal

:roll:

the point was that they cropped into the equation only when it suited a player you had been championing for a long while, don't have any problem with the stat itself tbf, like you've always said, you're the one keeping that stat and if others want to use different ones they can and in my own case, I do.

I could probably trawl through this thread and find more than one instance of you moving the goalposts but I don't really CARE that much to do it

In all seriousness I think you're good at digging through stats and not bad at keeping records but in two seasons you've never conceded ground once and I have 0% faith that you'll ever do so. People as stubborn as yourself have no real place on a forum because it's not really a forum, you just try and SHOUT LOUDER & LOUDER until those with counter points just give up trying to have an argument with a brick wall.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 02 Feb 2012 13:13

Oh and for the record and in all seriousness if you'd ever like to defend yourself fully or present a statistical argument to make a point you're welcome to contribute to The Tilehurst End. I helped set up the site so that those such as yourself with detailed analysis could do so without flooding a message board.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Feb 2012 13:19

that is the problem with half assists- they are used to add weight o your argument, and not applied consistently acros all games and goals

id welcome them if they were

would give kebe more points

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Feb 2012 14:30

Wimb Oh and for the record and in all seriousness if you'd ever like to defend yourself fully or present a statistical argument to make a point you're welcome to contribute to The Tilehurst End. I helped set up the site so that those such as yourself with detailed analysis could do so without flooding a message board.

If the comments above are typical of what you do on thetilehurstend the I think I'll stay away from it.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 02 Feb 2012 14:37

West Stand Man
Wimb Oh and for the record and in all seriousness if you'd ever like to defend yourself fully or present a statistical argument to make a point you're welcome to contribute to The Tilehurst End. I helped set up the site so that those such as yourself with detailed analysis could do so without flooding a message board.

If the comments above are typical of what you do on thetilehurstend the I think I'll stay away from it.

Read them and judge for yourself, The Tilehurst End is an open site for any Reading fan to put across their opinion or analysis, if you don't like my writing then fair play though I'd encourage anybody to actually read the site before dismissing it. My point to Snowball was actually quite serious in that it would be interesting for Snowball to have an opportunity to present some of his stats based analysis to an audience without having to worry about the subject being distorted and arguments breaking out.

I've made clear I'm not a massive Snowball fan, but I still respect the fact he's a Reading fan who takes time out to compile and present arguments. However I''ve personally lost the will to keep reading because he's rarely ever open to concede ground or accept somebody else's interpretation.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 02 Feb 2012 14:57

Wimb I've made clear I'm not a massive Snowball fan, but I still respect the fact he's a Reading fan who takes time out to compile and present arguments. However I''ve personally lost the will to keep reading because he's rarely ever open to concede ground or accept somebody else's interpretation.

+1.

It's a pity he doesn't take a leaf out of Strap's book who used to simply present the evidence and let the hobnob massive make their own minds up.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 02 Feb 2012 15:09

Royal With Cheese
Wimb I've made clear I'm not a massive Snowball fan, but I still respect the fact he's a Reading fan who takes time out to compile and present arguments. However I''ve personally lost the will to keep reading because he's rarely ever open to concede ground or accept somebody else's interpretation.

+1.

It's a pity he doesn't take a leaf out of Strap's book who used to simply present the evidence and let the hobnob massive make their own minds up.

In a readable format.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2012 18:02

Hoop Blah
cmonurz
Ian Royal
The flaw is that he's chosen the comparison to other teams based on our circumstances...

This is key. Snowball at least makes an argument as to why 22 games is a relevant 'form' guide for Reading. The problem is then using that same set of games as a yardstick for everyone else in the division, which makes the comparison biased.

If, and I'm not sure we would, but if we lost three games on the trot, that 20-odd game 'form guide' would I'm sure be dropped for a more favourable statistic.

Good point. For example, it would be interesting to see the form for Birmingham before before and after they got knocked out of Europe. I've no idea what player changes they've made at various times but my instinct tells me that they've probably seen an upturn in form since they settled back into league routine (after say a week or two of getting over their European adventure). Points gathered wise it must look pretty good as they've almost caught up with their games in hand, which at one point was 3 or 4 I think.

Their poor form started on 26 November and lasted for 6 games up to 2 Jan. The period starts with the game before their second Braga match which they lost and I think that effectively saw them exit Europe, though they still had one game left (which they won). They're now unbeaten in six (with one draw) from their third match onwards after going out of Europe.

If you ignore those six poor results (which were DLLWLD) their form is 2.09 ppg.

HTH

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 02 Feb 2012 18:09

Royal With Cheese

+1.

+1

But some stats are interesting and well worth people actually spending the time doing them. At the end of the day it's 46 games over a season and the stats associated with that that maters. However, current, recent and season form is great to look at.

If we're near the top then all the better.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2012 21:50

melonhead that is the problem with half assists- they are used to add weight o your argument, and not applied consistently acros all games and goals

id welcome them if they were would give kebe more points

They ARE"consistently applied across all the games

If I've missed one, tell me about it. They are rare beasts.

As I've said before we are not talking about standard stuff like winning a tackle,
feeding the winger or whatever, the stock stuff. We are talking about those few
occasions where a player does something exceptional and takes a NOTICEABLY
large (unacknowledged) part in a goal.

Pearce could make a brilliant tackle in the six-yard box, beat two players,
play a 1-2 with Elwood, beat two more players, feed Kebe, then do a diving
header from the Kebe cross... the keeper at full stretch tips the ball onto a post
and Church taps in. The official stats would "ignore" Pearce

(Yeah I know it'll never happen...)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2012 22:09

Ian Royal

(Birmingham's) poor form started on 26 November and lasted for 6 games up to 2 Jan. The period starts with the game before their second Braga match which they lost and I think that effectively saw them exit Europe, though they still had one game left (which they won). They're now unbeaten in six (with one draw) from their third match onwards after going out of Europe.

If you ignore those six poor results (which were DLLWLD) their form is 2.09 ppg.

HTH

The 22-Game Form I was showing started with a Reading win

Start one match later and you get this.

1 21 11-6-4 7 CS 4 FTS 37-16 +21 39 1.86 Birmingham City
2 21 12-3-6 9 CS 4 FTS 29-22 +07 39 1.86 West Ham United
3 21 10-8-3 8 CS 3 FTS 35-23 +12 38 1.81 Cardiff City
4 21 11-5-5 9 CS 5 FTS 28-19 +09 38 1.81 Reading

That .05 difference is 2+ points in a whole season, so basically four clubs neck-and-neck

interesting that we beat Birmingham and West ham in those 21 games but lost twice to Cardiff who also beat Birmingham

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Feb 2012 22:10

Ian Royal

I'm trying to imagine the furore if I said I'll just take out X games FROM THE MIDDLE of a run
or used sample sizes of 4...

Mr Cinema

by Mr Cinema » 02 Feb 2012 22:16

Snowball
Ian Royal

I'm trying to imagine the furore if I said I'll just take out X games FROM THE MIDDLE of a run
or used sample sizes of 4...

LOL @ furore.

It's an Internet message board not the oxf*rd United Nations.

221 posts