Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

1019 posts
pea
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

by pea » 19 Oct 2012 10:19

All the criticism kind of falls down when you read the response from the Chairman of Kick It Out tbh

I'm proud when I see articles about him taking a stand and he has the words 'Reading striker' prefixing his name

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 19 Oct 2012 10:20

i'm not quite sure what Roberts is aiming to achieve here. I'm sure all clubs, all player and a high majority of fans are want to see Racism kicked out of football it has no place. By doing what he is doing he is going against the one organisation we have trying to combat racism.

He's also segregating the other players in the team who are willing to wear the t-shirt, who want to help kick out racism. Wearing a t-shirt isn't going to effect anything. In fact its more a show of solidarity than evryone coming together to fight racism. Yes it may give more publicity to combat racism, but in the last few days does it need any more?

We all need to pull in the right direction in this, make a stance to FIFA and UEFA, not refuse to wear a t-shirt in a 3 o clock kick off. Communicate to clubs and get them to go to FIFA

DaveBanana

Re: Newsflash from Norway: Roberts on the front cover!

by DaveBanana » 19 Oct 2012 10:21

Well BBC reckon Hunts out due to a guffed Heel, in which case he could be a starter?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Oct 2012 10:22

Royal Rother I've kept out of this debate so it may already have been covered to death but do you really believe that because JT called Ferdinand a black cnut that he is therefore a racist who should be locked up and never allowed to play the game again?

I mean, really....

I'm no supporter of JT and he deserves much of the contempt with which he is viewed but I really do fear that some people have lost all sense of perspective here.

is he not a racist because he says he isnt, and because he has black friends?
or is he a racist because he acts and speaks in a racist manner on the pitch?
id go for the latter if its a choice.

maybe hes not a tattood skinhead nazi racist, but thats not the only face of racism.if anything its the deep seated, deeply rooted, often hidden racism of attitudes that is the most dangerous and incipid.
at least with teh skinhead nazis, you know.

and im sure he thinks hes the most fair minded and wonderful chap on earth
but you have to question why he used "black" at all. repeatedly.
and if it was just a slip, the same as calling someone a fat cnut, or a ginger oxf*rd, then you seriously have to question at least his intelligence, and suitability to play for, or captain england
imo

plus its personal choice. if he wants to make his feelings nown like this thats fine- hes not pressuring anyone else, and hes not segregating the squad in any way

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Oct 2012 10:24

No Fixed Abode The subject of racism is BORING.

spoken like a true comfortable suburban white man

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Oct 2012 10:30

melonhead
Royal Rother I've kept out of this debate so it may already have been covered to death but do you really believe that because JT called Ferdinand a black cnut that he is therefore a racist who should be locked up and never allowed to play the game again?

I mean, really....

I'm no supporter of JT and he deserves much of the contempt with which he is viewed but I really do fear that some people have lost all sense of perspective here.

is he not a racist because he says he isnt, and because he has black friends?
or is he a racist because he acts and speaks in a racist manner on the pitch?
id go for the latter if its a choice.

maybe hes not a tattood skinhead nazi racist, but thats not the only face of racism.if anything its the deep seated, deeply rooted, often hidden racism of attitudes that is the most dangerous and incipid.
at least with teh skinhead nazis, you know.

and im sure he thinks hes the most fair minded and wonderful chap on earth
but you have to question why he used "black" at all. repeatedly.
and if it was just a slip, the same as calling someone a fat cnut, or a ginger oxf*rd, then you seriously have to question at least his intelligence, and suitability to play for, or captain england
imo

plus its personal choice. if he wants to make his feelings nown like this thats fine- hes not pressuring anyone else, and hes not segregating the squad in any way

If you believe all that, fine, I'm not arguing with it. The question I raised was whether John Terry should be locked up and never allowed to play the game again.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 19 Oct 2012 10:31

I mean, really....

Absolutely, 100% he should be kicked out of football. The slogan is "KICK RACISM OUT OF FOOTBALL". Ergo - in order to kick racism out of football, you kick racists, out of football. If the slogan was "ask people not to be racist, but if they are, give them a telling off" - then maybe you'd have a point.

How can you even remotely suggest that they deserve some kind of defence? Racism and non equal treatment of others because of their race, is the absolute rot of society - and the ONLY way it's going to go away, is to take full, proper and decisive action. Footballers have a responsibility to provide a role model for the youth of today - it is absolutely not beyond any sense of perspective, to remove those who provide a negative role model. It is absolutely, completely, and totally unacceptable for the turn of phrase John Terry used, to be used, in ANY area of society - allow it to become acceptable as you ARE suggesting, and we go back 20 years in our progression of this issue. The only way to stamp it out, is to make a PROPER example of those such as Terry and Suarez - take away their livelihood, and see how much they want to keep hold of those disgusting racist views.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 19 Oct 2012 10:33

this just screams of *LOOK AT ME*.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Oct 2012 10:33

no, i think its right he was stripped of the england captaincy though, and i think the same ban as suarez, dished out in the same time frame would have made more sense
theres no reason i can see to have such a difference between the two. both admit the words came from their mouths
both say they have mitigating reasons for saying them.
the funny brown foreigner gets 9 games
the white english man gets 4

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Oct 2012 10:34

Focher this just screams of *LOOK AT ME*.

your post?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Oct 2012 10:37

Caskeys Lovechild

I mean, really....

Absolutely, 100% he should be kicked out of football. The slogan is "KICK RACISM OUT OF FOOTBALL". Ergo - in order to kick racism out of football, you kick racists, out of football. If the slogan was "ask people not to be racist, but if they are, give them a telling off" - then maybe you'd have a point.

How can you even remotely suggest that they deserve some kind of defence? Racism and non equal treatment of others because of their race, is the absolute rot of society - and the ONLY way it's going to go away, is to take full, proper and decisive action. Footballers have a responsibility to provide a role model for the youth of today - it is absolutely not beyond any sense of perspective, to remove those who provide a negative role model. It is absolutely, completely, and totally unacceptable for the turn of phrase John Terry used, to be used, in ANY area of society - allow it to become acceptable as you ARE suggesting, and we go back 20 years in our progression of this issue. The only way to stamp it out, is to make a PROPER example of those such as Terry and Suarez - take away their livelihood, and see how much they want to keep hold of those disgusting racist views.

I agree with the general sentiments but from your reply it is clear that you HAVE lost a sense of perspective, which is what I thought. Thanks.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Oct 2012 10:39

melonhead no, i think its right he was stripped of the england captaincy though, and i think the same ban as suarez, dished out in the same time frame would have made more sense
theres no reason i can see to have such a difference between the two. both admit the words came from their mouths

Not arguing with any of that.

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 19 Oct 2012 10:40

Jason Roberts should be applauded for having the balls to actually state his opinion about a subject which is still a bit of a taboo topic for football players to talk about due to a fear of speaking out about racism potentially harming their future prospects in the game i.e. future transfers, financial rewards, media profile and so on. There are a lot of football clubs, players, managers, etc, who do not really understand the whole Kick it Out campaign in terms of its underlying messages as often it is seen as merely token gestures to wear the t-shirt or put up a poster, etc. But then, it's not the players fault either becasue they are footballers after all and not academic professionals educated at Masters or PhD level (there might be one or two cases?) having studied racism and anti-racism and its nature in terms of football and the rest of society.

So Jason Roberts I totally applaud you for standing up for what you believe in and stating your HONEST opinion on a very sensitive issue especially in the 'play it safe' in terms of what you say environment footballers reside in. In addition, you are totally right in what you have said as well.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 19 Oct 2012 10:50

melonhead
Focher this just screams of *LOOK AT ME*.

your post?

bit of both really m8

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 19 Oct 2012 11:17

Royal Rother
Caskeys Lovechild

I mean, really....

I agree with the general sentiments but from your reply it is clear that you HAVE lost a sense of perspective, which is what I thought. Thanks.

I agree with Rother.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Oct 2012 11:29

I've only read the last page, so apologies if it's already been posted. Fergie having a dig at Roberts

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has condemned Jason Roberts for boycotting this weekend's anti-racism campaign.

The Reading striker has revealed he will not wear a Kick It Out shirt before the game against Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday in protest at what he says is the organisation's lack of action against racism in football.

However, Ferguson believes Roberts is wrong not to support Kick It Out's annual week of action and expects all of his players, including Rio Ferdinand, to don their T-shirts as a show of support in the fight against racism.

"I have to disagree with Jason Roberts. I think he is making the wrong point," the Scot said. Everyone should be united, with all the players in the country wearing the Kick it Out warm-up tops.

"I don't know what point he is trying to make. I don't know if he is trying to put himself on a different pedestal from everyone. But he really should be supporting all the rest of the players who are doing it."

It has been suggested that United defender Ferdinand - whose brother Anton was the subject of racist abuse from John Terry - could follow Roberts' lead and snub the traditional shirts before Saturday's game with Stoke.

But that would be a surprise to Ferguson, who added: "When you do something, and everyone believes in it, you should all do it together. There shouldn't be sheep wandering off. I think he is making the wrong message.

"All the players are wearing it. I have only heard that Jason Roberts is different - but he is very different. He plays a game and is in the studio 20 minutes after it. That is a great privilege."

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 19 Oct 2012 11:31

Is Ferguson calling Rio a black sheep?

:shock:

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 19 Oct 2012 11:33

It's 2012. It's about time football and its supporters woke up to that fact, and started taking worthwhile action. £220,000 fine for Terry? He earns that in a week - it simply doesn't affect him. The purpose of disciplinary action, is to punish players - a £2million fine and a 6 month ban in this instance, would have been more appropriate - THAT is what KOR should have been campaigning for.

KICK IT OUT - campaigning for insignificant fines and slaps on the wrist since 1997 (?)

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 19 Oct 2012 11:42

melonhead no, i think its right he was stripped of the england captaincy though, and i think the same ban as suarez, dished out in the same time frame would have made more sense

Terrible wasn't it? Someone who is cleared in the courts of law gets 4 games by the FA on the 'probability' he said a racial slur, and someone who openly admitted saying the word 'negrito' 8 times, rightly got a lengthy ban.

Make no mistake, JT would probably love to contest the 4 game ban he's received, but he knows the FA will give him a bigger ban if he appeals, so for the good of Chelsea he's had to accept it.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Oct 2012 11:46

defo said it, can clearly see he said it

in teh court of law he made up a load of bollox, that was clearly bollox, but was impossible to prove wasnt
the FA werent burdeend with that, and could just come out and say, no john, im sorry, but that its clearly total bollox.

cant believe how much and automatically you are up john terrys arse

he a oxf*rd oxf*rd

regardless of his "debateable" choice of words to ferdinand

1019 posts