Back from the miracle

288 posts
Rex
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the miracle

by Rex » 13 Jan 2013 02:08

MmmMonsterMunch
No Fixed Abode The main thing we can learn today is how fickle the fans are. Lol.just lol. Some of you are embarrassing. :lol:

LOL. The fans of the European champions are so loyal they resort to advertising tickets on Talksport. Sad times.

It's like Noah and The Whale m8. Tempting but breath deep and it passes.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 13 Jan 2013 02:43

MmmMonsterMunch I have to say I found their fans pretty awful today. Pretty much every song was "shit on the Villa" or "you're going down with the Villa or "Shane Long's too good for you". Nothing actually backing their team.

+1 was embarrassing

Pepe the Horseman Not read the thread. Thought Guthrie played very well, as did Mariappa and McCleary when he came on. Pav deserved his goal, very pleased for him after the shit he gets from people around me. Gr8 coolness from Alfie. Think my MOM was Guthrie

Best summary, I like you Pepe

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 13 Jan 2013 03:21

Great fight back. Massive three points too.

Feds - 7
Gunter - 4 How is this man in the team ahead of Cummings. Absolutely dreadful. No-where for first goal, gave away silly corners, awful crossing, was saved by the ref twice after being dispossed, always went backwards, no where for first goal, very poor indeed.
Pearce - 7 Sign him up ASAP. Once again pretty good today.
Mariappa - 6 did well bar one error
Harte - 6 some good balls, some bad. Fine defensively.
Kebe - 8 MOTM superb second half, headed one off the line, covered for Gunter, kept possession well. Superb performance.
Carrico - 5 really promising first 20 minutes then started to go downhill. Hopefully will get better with match fitness.
Karacan - 7 superb when he was on the pitch.
Guthrie - 7 wasted a fair few but showed his class today
McAnuff - 6 good defensively but just doesn't seem very effective on the whole.
Pog - 8 Great shift again. Brilliant to see the passion from him when he got the winner. Proving his worth.

McCleary - 7 definitely growing on me but his crossing I still by far the worst of the wingers at the club. Should've scored.
ALF - 7 great penalty, good feet, worked well up front. Maybe even an 8.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 13 Jan 2013 08:57

With 10 to go I'd have struggled to give anyone more than a 6, as West Brom simply out Reading'd us. They were organised, disciplined, great on the counter attack and Lukaku is going to be a big, big player in this league over the coming seasons.

But then through a bit of a lapse we got a goal and as someone earlier in the thread said, it felt a bit like Bristol City, a game where we were so so bad for the majority of the game and somehow ended up with a win.

Much, much more work to be done but this one goes some way toward balancing the luck of the Newcastle game etc.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 Jan 2013 09:20

It's funny how opinions get distorted.

While watching the first half I thought we were OK and WBA a good, disciplined side with two front men on fire.

We got some great balls into the box, won corners etc, but lacked that extra, class or luck.

WBA were a classic away side hitting us on the break.

But in the second half, when we let in the second, suddenly I forgot all our decent play and was thinking how we "are" outclassed, going down for certain, blah-blah, blah.

Then of course, we got those three in the last 8/9 minutes but I had "decided" it was daylight robbery and we were still needing a hatful of players.

But watching the whole match again last night I was able to see that first half and realise we weren't that bad but were suckered by a neat, disciplined side and the amazing Lukaku.

The final stats are very revealing. Apart from the obvious 3-2, we scored the goals. They missed two and our keeper mostly did his job.

Ultimately it's chances made, shots on target, and goals, and the truth is we matched them more or less.

If the reverse had happened and we had blown a 2-0 lead losing 3-2 I doubt people would be saying "unlucky".

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 13 Jan 2013 09:22

Lol at the 'supporter' a few rows in front who never stopped saying they were rubbish - especially that bloke 'Pashnikov' up front and shouting 'fvcking pass it Karacan' - ten minutes after he had been substituted. :roll:

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 13 Jan 2013 09:24

We generally finish quite strongly, particularly at home, and I feel WBA couldn't be arsed after about 70 minutes. I noticed when they had a corner they took about 30 seconds to decide who would take it and I thought you know what, I think we could get something here. They really started to let their concentration slip. I think our home form will be key to us potentially staying up. Good thing is QPR/Villa look utterly horrific. Still, we were utterly inept for the first 80 minutes...

Federici 7
Harte 6
Mariappa 7
Pearce 7
Gunter 5
Carrico 5
Karcan 5
Kebe 6
McAnuff 5
Pogrebnyak 6

Subs

Alf 8
McCleary 8

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Jan 2013 09:41

Allyh84 We generally finish quite strongly, particularly at home, and I feel WBA couldn't be arsed after about 70 minutes. I noticed when they had a corner they took about 30 seconds to decide who would take it and I thought you know what, I think we could get something here.

I think that was down to their appallinginly blatent timewasting, rather than indecision. It pees me off when the ref then spends time debating the timewasting with the offenders rather than punishing it. And, for the info of the officials, when the keeper is lies on the ground with the ball held firmly in his hands, he is in control of the ball and the six seconds he is allowed should start at that point. At one point Foster stayed in that position for so long that I thought he was waiting for his alarm clock to go off in the morning! :twisted:

It would be nice (and probably good for the game) if refs were able to strike off time they had added for a team timewasting if that team subsequently falls behind in the game! (And I know that is never going to happen). Still, our 11, backed by the crowd were throwing everything in front of West Brom in that last 4 minutes and it was the first time in the game where it looked as though they had no real chance of scoring.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 13 Jan 2013 09:54

urz13 Gunter - 4 How is this man in the team ahead of Cummings.

Because Cummings is really no better.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 13 Jan 2013 10:02

Allyh84 We generally finish quite strongly, particularly at home, and I feel WBA couldn't be arsed after about 70 minutes. I noticed when they had a corner they took about 30 seconds to decide who would take it and I thought you know what, I think we could get something here. They really started to let their concentration slip. I think our home form will be key to us potentially staying up. Good thing is QPR/Villa look utterly horrific. Still, we were utterly inept for the first 80 minutes...

Federici 7
Harte 6
Mariappa 7
Pearce 7
Gunter 5
Carrico 5
Karcan 5
Kebe 6
McAnuff 5
Pogrebnyak 6

Subs

Alf 8
McCleary 8

joke to give our defence top marks, they couldnt handle the big man up front and with better finishing and a bit of luck WBA could have been out of sight before we got our first, do that against Chelsea..................................... :shock:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Jan 2013 10:08

2 world wars, 1 world cup
Friday's Legacy That felt like the worst 80 minutes we have played this season, but I've said that now on a few occasions. Is 4-5-1 really going to keep us up? .... The change to 4-4-2 made all the difference.

Great post.

Just wanted to respond to this. Remember early in the season we played 451, weren't picking up enough points, and everyone called for 442. Sure we started scoring. But we were so bad at defending we were crushed time and time again in big scoring games. Initially it was great but we are just not good enough. So then we went back to 451 and it seems to have steadied things. Boring yes, not scoring as much, no, but a safe bet. Now some people are calling for 442 again.

I think we need to start 451. If it pays off and we get a counter then we stay. If we're losing or nt winning then we change and hit them. But it's always a bit of a risk.

It just so happened those 10mins got us more goals. It could easily be the other way round. It's a fine gamble for a short period but I wouldn't play a whole game in it.

As you say the change to 442 made the difference.

We cant start games 442. We're not good enough.

Well said but this should really not be in question
Against Chelsea 451 looked great and the mistake was not sticking with it
Gary Neville summed us up all too well and said we cant play like this against Arsenal or we will get battered, we need to make it much harder for teams to play against us. 451 does that even tho it lowers our chances of scoring, because we don't have strikers the quality of Albions.
As 2ww1wc says we must stick with it

RobRoyale

by RobRoyale » 13 Jan 2013 10:14

West Stand Man
RobRoyale The band: -10
This lot are an embarrassment to the club and I despise hearing them.

You poor little saddo. If that genuinely upsets you then do get a life.

It doesn't upset me, they are just toilet. Hence I despise hearing them.

thirtyyarder

by thirtyyarder » 13 Jan 2013 10:22

Now that I've sobered up I want to share my thoughts.

First half for me was encouraging in the style of play, nice to see us treat the ball like it was important to us. You have to be brave to try and get on the ball and play, much braver in my opinion than when you are just hoofing it, so in spite of the goal, which was a great goal BTW, I was reasonably happy to see us look more like a football team.

Second half I thought west brom were much the better side, they defended masterfully and we just couldn't get the breaks, McCleary for me opened the game up and the ball just stared rolling for us. However after he missed that chance, I thought game over, but we kept going and eventually ground them down.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion but the reaction on the match thread was a little over the top IMO. I thought the change in style was obvious in the first half, and although we looked a bit shit in terms of quality, I thought that a good attitude was n display.

Still think we gonna go down, but the evolution is plain to see.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Jan 2013 10:38

I thought we were in it until they scored the first, after which we were really flat for the rest of the half with WBA in control. Carrico just wasn't in the game at all and it was a no-brainer to replace him. Fitness more than quality IMHO.

Second half WBA looked comfortable to begin with, Olson winning everything at the back and Lukaku having the best game i've ever seen him have up front. Absolute beast.

McCleary and Le Fondre proved again how much impact they can have coming off the bench and I thought Reading gave it a really good go in the latter parts of the match. Guthrie controlled things in midfield and really made a difference. So good to see someone bring it down and pass the ball time and time again, kept us ticking over really well and was the best i've seen him play.

Can't say we really ever looked like scoring three goals but we did pressure them a lot and once the first went in you just thought there was a chance. By the time ALF scored I fancied us to win.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 13 Jan 2013 10:42

And Antons wife looked as beautiful as ever. :P

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Jan 2013 10:42

Oh two more things:

1) Fed needs to have a look at that second goal - not gr8 from him

2) Lukaku and Morrison both giving it the cupped ear and fingers to the lips to the North Stand after the opener. Yeah well done you pair of massive twats, you just scored against Reading and silenced an already silent crowd. That winner was for you.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Jan 2013 10:43

Only just got in, went on a bit of a bender last night.

I'm quite surprised by the view of the first 80. I thought we were on top in the first half and unlucky to concede. I felt that we generally bossed midfield and all of their chances came from misspasses and Gunter f*ck-ups.

Also surprised by the positives about Pearce. I'm a big fan of his, and he had it over everyone except Lukaku who tore him to shreads. On the other-hand, apart from the goal i thought that Maps was looking after him much better.

Pog is an imense finisher but, as has been mentioned before he needs it on the floor. I only counted one occasion when he won the ball in the air. He doesn't jump, he just sort of shifts his weight upwards without his feet leaving the floor; but then with man mountain Olsson on top of him why were we playing long to him anyway? Didn't try enough through balls down the middle. McCleary noticed this and was putting in better, lower balls then McAnuff, Harte or Gunter. Our attacking improved in the second half because Kebe and McCleary started cutting back and running at the defense. It gave our support time to get into position and improved the venom of the crosses.

Feds had a game of two halfs, first half he made a couple of immense saves in their first couple of attacks, but looked all at sea when they hit the woodwork repetedly.

That last 10 minutes was probably the best atmosphere i've experienced in the Mad Stad for several years. It's not offen that the Southwest corner gets up and singing.

I thought the West Brom fans were good value. Plenty of back and forth that was in the spirit and not going too far.

Anyone else see Olsson and Foster having a proper barny in the first half?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Jan 2013 10:53

Maguire Oh two more things:

If you look at the position Lukaku was in when he shot (Mariappa should have forced him outside, rather than letting him cut in - poor defending), it was more a case of Federici being beaten by a shot to his left than being beaten on his near post. The latter description normally applies to shots from a much wider position when the keeper is stood a lot closer to his near post and still allows the shot through.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Jan 2013 10:55

RoyalBlue
Maguire Oh two more things:

If you look at the position Lukaku was in when he shot (Mariappa should have forced him outside, rather than letting him cut in - poor defending), it was more a case of Federici being beaten by a shot to his left than being beaten on his near post. The latter description normally applies to shots from a much wider position when the keeper is stood a lot closer to his near post and still allows the shot through.

I didn't say he got beaten at his near post :|

He was totally flat footed and should have done much better with a shot that wasn't all that far away from him.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Jan 2013 10:57

Maguire
RoyalBlue If you look at the position Lukaku was in when he shot (Mariappa should have forced him outside, rather than letting him cut in - poor defending), it was more a case of Federici being beaten by a shot to his left than being beaten on his near post. The latter description normally applies to shots from a much wider position when the keeper is stood a lot closer to his near post and still allows the shot through.

I didn't say he got beaten at his near post :|

He was totally flat footed and should have done much better with a shot that wasn't all that far away from him.

He was like that quite alot in the second half. He didn't move on two that hit the post ether. Generally didn't think he was bad though.

288 posts