Loan Watch 2013 - 2014

220 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Loan Watch 2013 - 2014

by Ian Royal » 23 Mar 2015 17:49

Angry Shed Sex Are you really suggesting we build a team around a player that's not even in the first team squad?

How bizarre.

I'm pretty sure that's sarcasm... there's some minor beef history between mambo and SCIAG iirc.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 23 Mar 2015 17:59

Ian Royal
Angry Shed Sex Are you really suggesting we build a team around a player that's not even in the first team squad?

How bizarre.

I'm pretty sure that's sarcasm... there's some minor beef history between mambo and SCIAG iirc.

If he's good enough and I believe he has the potential then why not. The boys got something about him.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 23 Mar 2015 19:15

You're a bit like Snowball, without the stats to back him up.

So, you're just like Snowball.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 23 Mar 2015 22:26

Angry Shed Sex You're a bit like Snowball, without the stats to back him up.

He is highly rated by Reading, scored on his debut for the 1st Team. Highly rated by both NA and Steve Clarke.

Major influence on U21 cup winners last season. No 10 shirt is his for the taking

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 24 Mar 2015 00:23

mambo3
Angry Shed Sex You're a bit like Snowball, without the stats to back him up.

He is highly rated by Reading, scored on his debut for the 1st Team. Highly rated by both NA and Steve Clarke.

Major influence on U21 cup winners last season. No 10 shirt is his for the taking

He's got potential but I still don't think he's ready, doing average at a mid-table League 2 side seems to confirm that but as people have said, he's not in his favoured role. Would love to be proven wrong and he plays a big part next season but I can't see it happening.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 24 Mar 2015 08:52

Jake Cooper hasn't had a loan, nor did Shane Long, nor has Aaron Kuhl. Ipswich didn't send Connor Wickham on loan either.

Kuhl wanted to go and loan, and a couple of clubs wanted him. It didn't happen for some reason. My suspicion is the club didn't let him go due to Karacans injury.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Mar 2015 13:27

Ian Royal

How bizarre.

I'm pretty sure Dominic is trying to cover his tracks :wink:

I definitely wouldn't object if Clarke wanted to give Tanner a big role next season. He's got the ability, he may as well get the experience playing for us. Besides, it's both the last year of his contract and the final year he'll be eligible for the U21s, if we don't get him in the team now then we risk someone else taking him and the millions in transfer fees he'll be worth.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 24 Mar 2015 13:45

Struck me as though Tanner was one who really needed a loan move. He's more than capable technically, but he looked a little lost in the games he played and wasn't imposing himself. A few games coming to terms with the physicality of League 2 will have done him the world of good, even if he hasn't been standing out in all of those games, and should help him really kick on next season.

Not sure we should be building the team around him mind...but he'll be a good option to have in the squad.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 24 Mar 2015 13:54

Steve Clarke did say at the fans forum that he wanted 5 or 6 of the youngsters in the squad next year

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 24 Mar 2015 14:03

Hector, Obita, Tanner, Samuel, Keown and Cooper

Seems about right.. This is taking into account we release Taylor as I think he's coming to the end of his contract?
I'd like to see Edwards go out on loan to a league one side for a season, reckon if he got used to physicality of the English leagues he could be pretty good as in the games i've seen he's very creative and can do a job in the number 10 role or either wing. Just looks a bit lightweight.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Mar 2015 15:03

Do Hector and Obita count as "youngsters" any more though as they're already established in the 1st team? Perhaps replace those two with Kuhl, Stacey and/or Cardwell.... then again Novakovich got a few minutes at Watford and Tshibola's doing well at Hartlepool so who knows what the squad will be come August.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 24 Mar 2015 15:28

Sutekh Do Hector and Obita count as "youngsters" any more though as they're already established in the 1st team? Perhaps replace those two with Kuhl, Stacey and/or Cardwell.... then again Novakovich got a few minutes at Watford and Tshibola's doing well at Hartlepool so who knows what the squad will be come August.

Guess it depends if Clarke means youngsters that will be established in or just out of the first team, in which case I would say it was pretty much that.

I imagine we'll be losing either Kelly or Gunter or maybe both in the summer - making Keown a decent back up or maybe even first choice (reckon it will be too soon though)
Cooper could easily come in to be 3rd choice ahead of Ferdinand and Knight who I can't see being here after the summer
Obita is obviously first choice LB
Hector is one of the best CB's in the league on his day, still a bit raw but with experience he will become more assured
Samuel will make up our lack of striking options (hopefully he's still here)
Tanner offers something we don't have in the side as we don't have another player capable of playing the number 10 role, but is also versatile enough to play on the wings.

Although I rate both Kuhl and Tish very highly, our centre midfield is probably the one area we don't need to concentrate on as we have numerous options there. I'd love to see them around the first team more next season though, especially Tish as I feel his size will be an advantage over Kuhl while competing in the Champs.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 24 Mar 2015 17:16

GH Royal
Sutekh Do Hector and Obita count as "youngsters" any more though as they're already established in the 1st team? Perhaps replace those two with Kuhl, Stacey and/or Cardwell.... then again Novakovich got a few minutes at Watford and Tshibola's doing well at Hartlepool so who knows what the squad will be come August.

Guess it depends if Clarke means youngsters that will be established in or just out of the first team, in which case I would say it was pretty much that.

I imagine we'll be losing either Kelly or Gunter or maybe both in the summer - making Keown a decent back up or maybe even first choice (reckon it will be too soon though)
Cooper could easily come in to be 3rd choice ahead of Ferdinand and Knight who I can't see being here after the summer
Obita is obviously first choice LB
Hector is one of the best CB's in the league on his day, still a bit raw but with experience he will become more assured
Samuel will make up our lack of striking options (hopefully he's still here)
Tanner offers something we don't have in the side as we don't have another player capable of playing the number 10 role, but is also versatile enough to play on the wings.

Although I rate both Kuhl and Tish very highly, our centre midfield is probably the one area we don't need to concentrate on as we have numerous options there. I'd love to see them around the first team more next season though, especially Tish as I feel his size will be an advantage over Kuhl while competing in the Champs.

When Clarke mentions youngsters is he referring to Reading or Chelsea youngsters as we know he has connections
With Chelsea. I believe Youth players should go on loan just so they can experience Mans Football and the not so glamorous side of football. Seems to be a lot of midfielders in the U21 squad so don't understand why they were not allowed to go out on Loan. As for Samuel, I would be surprised as it is his last year that a bid or offer from another club is not in the pipe line, the same for Tishbola and Tanner as it seems they are also highly thought of by there Loan Clubs.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 24 Mar 2015 18:38

GH Royal Seems about right.. This is taking into account we release Taylor as I think he's coming to the end of his contract?
I'd like to see Edwards go out on loan to a league one side for a season,

Taylor has another year on his contract, and Edwards doesn't. Can't see us renewing it because he isn't very good.
GH Royal Although I rate both Kuhl and Tish very highly, our centre midfield is probably the one area we don't need to concentrate on as we have numerous options there.

Agreed right now, less so at the start of next season. Guthrie, Chalobah and Karacan are all out of contract and Akpan isn't very good, so we could be down to just Williams and Norwood (unless I've forgotten someone?).
mambo3 As for Samuel, I would be surprised as it is his last year that a bid or offer from another club is not in the pipe line, the same for Tishbola and Tanner as it seems they are also highly thought of by there Loan Clubs.

If we offer Samuel a contract (and I imagine we will after this League One form) then he won't be available on a free. Tshibola and Tanner both have time on their contracts, and Tshibola is unlikely to demand a move to the Conference...

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 25 Mar 2015 08:58

SCIAG
GH Royal Seems about right.. This is taking into account we release Taylor as I think he's coming to the end of his contract?
I'd like to see Edwards go out on loan to a league one side for a season,

Taylor has another year on his contract, and Edwards doesn't. Can't see us renewing it because he isn't very good.
GH Royal Although I rate both Kuhl and Tish very highly, our centre midfield is probably the one area we don't need to concentrate on as we have numerous options there.

Agreed right now, less so at the start of next season. Guthrie, Chalobah and Karacan are all out of contract and Akpan isn't very good, so we could be down to just Williams and Norwood (unless I've forgotten someone?).

Sorry, thought I mentioned Edwards contract was running out, didn't realise Taylor has another year though! I do prefer Edwards to Taylor, from the games I saw he looks the much better attacking option, driving runs, good pace, good control and the creative flair to pick a good through ball where others might not see one. Just looked a little lightweight to be able to cope with the Champs week in week out, hence why I said a loan would help. Worth mentioning Edwards is 2 years younger than Taylor aswell, whom I think is a very average player and used to constantly go missing in games.

I was more looking at how we are right now admittedly, if Karacan and Guthrie leave and we don't manage to get Chalobah on loan for another season then that would open up spaces for Tish and Kuhl if we don't bring anyone else in.
Before Chalobah came to us results were good with Akpan in the side, alot of the work he does goes unnoticed, however him mishitting the occasional 5 yard pass sticks in people's minds, I do think overall he is quite a useful player to have around. Again it's worth mentioning he is the same age as Taylor (23) admittedly different types of players, but as far as I'm aware both of their preffered positions are CM and I know I'd rather keep Akpan over Taylor given the choice..

mambo3

by mambo3 » 26 Mar 2015 12:07

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 26 Mar 2015 12:38

SCIAG
Ian Royal

How bizarre.

I'm pretty sure Dominic is trying to cover his tracks :wink:

I definitely wouldn't object if Clarke wanted to give Tanner a big role next season. He's got the ability, he may as well get the experience playing for us. Besides, it's both the last year of his contract and the final year he'll be eligible for the U21s, if we don't get him in the team now then we risk someone else taking him and the millions in transfer fees he'll be worth.

Could easily have missed something but he's got a contract until 2017, signed in Jan when he moved on loan.

His loan spell hasn't gone as I hoped, not too fussed about that, Gylfi's loan at Shrewsbury didn't work out, ending early after a month as I recall, so no guarantee that any loan spell will go well. But I am concerned about how we're going to fit him in whenever he becomes part of the first team squad again.

GH Royal

by GH Royal » 26 Mar 2015 12:45

Imagine he'll play off a target man, linking the attack and midfield. Can also play on the wing and is left footed so gives us a good option there.

And yes you're right he did sign an extension the same day or day before he went out on loan IIRC.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 26 Mar 2015 12:50

I've always imagined him playing off Pog, but if we sign Mackie then his chances are limited, as Cox would also be competition for him. He might have a better chance on the wing. Not seen him that much, but he doesn't seem a natural there though? Tbh up until this season I didn't realise he could play in that position.

Think the last time I saw him was against Man Utd's U21s at the end of last season and he looked like someone who would look better with better players around him, though given Ugwu's performance in that game that isn't really saying much...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Mar 2015 12:56

KC Royal Could easily have missed something but he's got a contract until 2017, signed in Jan when he moved on loan.

His loan spell hasn't gone as I hoped, not too fussed about that, Gylfi's loan at Shrewsbury didn't work out, ending early after a month as I recall, so no guarantee that any loan spell will go well. But I am concerned about how we're going to fit him in whenever he becomes part of the first team squad again.

Yep, Tanner definitely signed a new deal just before heading out, with a through glowing quotes from Clarke attached.

Talented boy, good attitude, boyhood fan - Will make it here imo, it just might take him a couple of years to develop the required physique.

220 posts